Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's tough because I want Caufield, but I also think Krebs would be such a good fit. Zegras is great as well and if Dach/Turcotte slips I'd have a hard time passing on them. There's just so many guys in our range that will be available to consider.

I think Caufield is everything we need though and he'd probably only play 1 season at Wisconsin before signing. DeBrincat spent 1 season in OHL after draft before making jump. I'm leaning towards him over Krebs/Cozens/Zegras/Pod if that's what's available.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm not watching the tournament, as Ive all but made my mind up on Krebs and have had a busy schedule. But whats Caufield's skating like?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
What about acceleration? When he gets the puck, does he have the jump required to separate himself from another player?
His acceleration is also great, which he showcased today vs Slovakia. A ton of his scoring chances came from quick bursts past defensemen to get open.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'm not watching the tournament, as Ive all but made my mind up on Krebs and have had a busy schedule. But whats Caufield's skating like?

Pretty good all around, his top end speed could be better but he's got great acceleration, he's fast to areas. His edge work is what really stands out, he's so shifty but also very strong on his skates with such a low centre of gravity. Not a lot of circles in his game either, because he's got such great acceleration he starts and stops. His size and acceleration let him slip into small areas and get his lethal shot off in a flash. I could see a situation where him and a guy like McDavid getting synched up and it being one of those situations where you know exactly what they want to do but they are so good at doing it you can't stop them.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I just watched some highlights quick. Id be alright taking him at 8, although I dont know if he'll be there. Only two real issues I saw with his game are that he's always looking to shoot, and seems to cheat for offence. I would need to see more and preferably live to know for sure, but to me he's got real good upside. Better then Wahlstrom IMO, who went 11th.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Caufield's last 3 games:

4 goals.
3 goals.
4 goals, 3 assists.

Everyone on board with taking him at 8? I sure am.
I watched Caufield play for the first time this morning. It was most of the second period before I had to leave. I have a feeling he's going to be in the top 10 now. Small but has a dynamic element to his game. And boy, can he wire the puck. He'd look great with McDavid and Dry on the pp.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I just watched some highlights quick. Id be alright taking him at 8, although I dont know if he'll be there. Only two real issues I saw with his game are that he's always looking to shoot, and seems to cheat for offence. I would need to see more and preferably live to know for sure, but to me he's got real good upside. Better then Wahlstrom IMO, who went 11th.

He does have a tendancy to want to fly the zone on the break out but I think that has a lot to do with how the line is coached, they look to spring Caufield. One of his traits I like the most (and something many Oilers players are terrible at) is getting the puck out along the boards. He's got great hand eye and again his acceleration he puts the puck to an area then beats the defender there with his acceleration.

The always looking to shoot thing I don't necessarily think is bad, especially considering what a talented shooter he is and the fact this team could use someone who shoots more then passes.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's tough because I want Caufield, but I also think Krebs would be such a good fit. Zegras is great as well and if Dach/Turcotte slips I'd have a hard time passing on them. There's just so many guys in our range that will be available to consider.

I think Caufield is everything we need though and he'd probably only play 1 season at Wisconsin before signing. DeBrincat spent 1 season in OHL after draft before making jump. I'm leaning towards him over Krebs/Cozens/Zegras/Pod if that's what's available.

I don't like Caufield over Krebs because I think Krebs will impact the game in more ways like an O'Rielly does on the PP, at even strength and also the PK. It also seems like he creates a lot of chaos around the net which is a real sore spot for the Oilers who are way too much of a perimeter team.

I know that the goal scoring is a huge plus but I like the all purpose guy who is also highly skilled more. I'd be happy with Caufield but I like Krebs more. If I had a choice between an O'Rielly type and a DeBrincat type, I choose O'Rielly.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Caufield's stock is rising fast. But I still want Dach.

Dach then Caufield then Krebs then Zegras

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wonder what the chances of Leason sliding to our second rounder are.
I don't really understand the Leason hype. It's basically just because of the good story I feel that he's being ranked so high. When you consider that he's nearly 20 his numbers are not impressive. They are impressive when you look at 36 points to 89 but they are nothing special at all for a player his age as a 1st round pick/early 2nd rounder. He's also 6'4 and plays on a really good team, he should be dominating.

I see comparisons to Mark Stone but when Stone was Leason's age he had 123 points. I guess Leason is considered a safe bet to be a bottom 6 player but there's probably better upside out there.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't really understand the Leason hype. It's basically just because of the good story I feel that he's being ranked so high. When you consider that he's nearly 20 his numbers are not impressive. They are impressive when you look at 36 points to 89 but they are nothing special at all for a player his age as a 1st round pick/early 2nd rounder. He's also 6'4 and plays on a really good team, he should be dominating.

I see comparisons to Mark Stone but when Stone was Leason's age he had 123 points. I guess Leason is considered a safe bet to be a bottom 6 player but there's probably better upside out there.
And Leason was on pace for 107 in the same amount of games played.

The Mark Stone comparison is a stylistic comparison not saying that he'll be as good as Mark Stone.

I think he could be a very good 25 goal + 60 point rw.

Reactions: Beerfish

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
And Leason was on pace for 107 in the same amount of games played.

The Mark Stone comparison is a stylistic comparison not saying that he'll be as good as Mark Stone.

I think he could be a very good 25 goal + 60 point rw.
Leason's skating ability makes Mark Stone look like McDavid.

I will be shocked if he amounts to anything more than a 3rd liner.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Leason's skating ability makes Mark Stone look like McDavid.

I will be shocked if he amounts to anything more than a 3rd liner.
Mark Stone isn't a good skater either...

But smart players are able to work around that. He could be a late bloomer learning to adjust his game and play by his strengths.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think I'd take any of the US forwards or Krebs over Kozens and possibly Dach.

Trying to remember sample size, and for example Puljujarvi dominating his peers.

But yeah Caufield looks legit.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Well.... I guess time to add Caufield into the mix then...

Hopefully hes not just a streaky scorer

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Caufield is defo in the discussion for top 10 now... He's just plain dominant at putting the puck in the back of the net.

Watching him sitting on the left side of the pp, teeing up passes from Connor is something I'd love to see.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
With how the playoffs are turning out, does a player like Caufield potentially disappear with the way the playoffs are reffed?

Hard to ignore his production though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad