Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why is Legare ranked so low?

He has good production in the Q this year and is already NHL sized - 6'0 202 with a right shot. From what I've seen of him at the u18s he's a good skater and has good hands, nice shot and goal scoring instincts as well.

I don't think I'd be opposed to taking him with our 2nd.
Came here to post this, I don't think id be against him with our 2nd.

Reactions: 780il

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Apparently Podkolzin was good today by at least one eye. Hopefully he is picked 3-7. :)

I'm really questioning what he is seeing. He both had that tweet you linked as well as this one

If Podkolzin truly was "incredible" and "amazing", you'd think he'd have more than 1 assist to his name after 4 games.

Reactions: Aerrol

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
The more I watch Newhook, the more I think he's a top 5 talent.

There are literally no flaws in his game. The only critique about him is he plays in a bad league, but he's proving that critique wrong at the u18s.

I haven't seen much of him yet in the U18s, but isn't passing considered a weekness - making bad passes that turn into giveaways? That was one online critique video I saw...fwiw...

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I'm really questioning what he is seeing. He both had that tweet you linked as well as this one

If Podkolzin truly was "incredible" and "amazing", you'd think he'd have more than 1 assist to his name after 4 games.

I remember Puljujarvi's WJHC at 17 years of age and how he dominated, but had no points and was very snakebitten. Another reason to be leary of him.

I really like Zegras, Krebs, and Caufield at our pick.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

If he wasn't too good against Latvia, he might of gotten zero points.

Nothing in his game seems like he will be worth a high draft pick.

He talks about always setting up his teammates, I haven't really seen that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I haven't seen much of him yet in the U18s, but isn't passing considered a weekness - making bad passes that turn into giveaways? That was one online critique video I saw...fwiw...
He can sometimes force it, but alot of skilled players do that trying to do plays that 95% of players cant complete. That's why sometimes its frustrating to watch Draisaitl, when hes off it looks like hes forcing it, when hes on it looks like hes a wizard with the puck.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

This Andy is on the crack.

Reactions: Navx94

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I remember Puljujarvi's WJHC at 17 years of age and how he dominated, but had no points and was very snakebitten. Another reason to be leary of him.

I really like Zegras, Krebs, and Caufield at our pick.
The situation you are referring to Puljujarvi was 16 and that was the U20's not the U18's.

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He's one of the main scouts for Future Considerations.

Exhibit A for why you shouldn't just blindly follow these scouting sites.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

I've watched a lot of his videos and I can say he's overwhelmingly positive on everyone. He works hard and I appreciate his stuff but I don't think I've ever seen him criticize a player.

I don't like his rankings at all.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Didn't watch the game but a few people who did said he was driving play but his linemates were/have been atrocious

I try not to follow stat watchers opinions more

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I've watched a lot of his videos and I can say he's overwhelmingly positive on everyone. He works hard and I appreciate his stuff but I don't think I've ever seen him criticize a player.

I don't like his rankings at all.

The guys name looks French but he sounds kinda Russian to me.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Didn't watch the game but a few people who did said he was driving play but his linemates were/have been atrocious

I try not to follow stat watchers opinions more

The same guy said Podkolzin created 25-30 chances that his teammates didn't finish.

The eye test isn't worth much with those kind of rose-colored glasses on.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Podkolzin is "visually better" than Dach, Zegras,Krebs, Turcotte, Caufield, Cozens, etc. MacT is on board

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Plenty of talk in Chicago media about interest in the Russian. My guess is they don't.

If the Hawks are thinking Podkolzin, then they might consider trading down to get him at 8. The Oilers can trade up and get Byram at 3.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I doubt Chicago are even interested in Podkolzin. Probably just trying to sucker the Rangers into taking him over Kakko

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Last year's draft has made me 0% certain about who is going where in this draft. But I do think Byram will be a legitimate 1 D one day. Same caliber as Heiskanen and Makar, I think.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Last year's draft has made me 0% certain about who is going where in this draft. But I do think Byram will be a legitimate 1 D one day. Same caliber as Heiskanen and Makar, I think.

I don't think he'll hit that level. His offense IMO is a tier below Makar and his defense is a tier below Heiskanen, but that isn't a knock against him by any means. I think he can become a top pairing D-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad