Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
One interesting thing about Newhook is he put up numbers similar to Jost and Turris in the BCHL but didn't have nearly as much help. Jost was actually the 2nd leading scorer. Newhook had 35 more points than the next guy on his team. I think he's looked good at the U18's. Wouldn't be my first pick, but wouldn't be opposed to it.

Yeah people knock off Newhook simply to the league he's played in. He's a sleeper pick.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah people knock off Newhook simply to the league he's played in. He's a sleeper pick.

Also, in his draft-1 year, he had a ppg of 1.47. Jost had 0.98. Turris 1.27. His team was a fair bit better back then, and he was ranked consistently in the top-5.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He definitely has similar speed and puck-carrying.

It'd be nice to have that kind of ability on the 2nd line. Basically a McDavid-lite who is able to grab a loose puck below the faceoff dots and fly up the ice to create chances.

After I watched him I was a little surprised that he isn't getting more hype. If he's playing well in the U18's after facing inferior competition all season, it makes you wonder what his upside will be.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Zegras would be a great pick at 8. Best passer and hands in the draft in my opinion. He plays a lot like Elias Petterson.

Definitely wouldn't see me complaining if they got Zegras. Kid oozes hockey IQ and vision. Love players who can see plays developing before they do and who can read where guys are going to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of time.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Maybe its just me, but i see alot of PLD in Cozens

As someone who loved PLD in his draft year, I don't really see the similarity at all. PLD is a much smarter player and he never relied on his speed or shot to produce. He was always a guy with a great all-around game who could do it all. Cozens is much more one-dimensional.

Zegras would be a great pick at 8. Best passer and hands in the draft in my opinion. He plays a lot like Elias Petterson.

He does play a bit similar to Pettersson, although the major difference there is that Pettersson has an absolutely elite shot, while Zegras shot is probably the weakest part of his game.

I wonder if we are sleeping on Newhook a bit.

I'll shout out this channel again:

He basically says if you miss out on Hughes and you're looking for someone who is a similar archetype, Newhook is the next best option.

Elite skating and hands through the neutral zone.

I think Newhook is one of the most purely talented guys in the draft, but what worries me about him is that he seems to be a bit of a perimeter player. For me it's really hard to project his game to the next level. On talent alone he could be an elite 1st liner, but if he's not willing to do the dirty work that will severely hamper his effectiveness once he gets to the pro level.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He does play a bit similar to Pettersson, although the major difference there is that Pettersson has an absolutely elite shot, while Zegras shot is probably the weakest part of his game.
That is true, but if I remember Petterson's shot was also one of his weakest categories pre-draft. He improved immensely the following year.

I like Zegras's one-timer a lot. I think it was better than Petterson's was at the same age. Wrist/snap are probably similar.

Reactions: McCanovin

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That is true, but if I remember Petterson's shot was also one of his weakest categories pre-draft. He improved immensely the following year.

Not really, he always had a pretty good shot. I mean he scored 19 goals and had 21 assists in Allsvenskan (2nd best league in SWE) in his draft year.

From Elias Pettersson Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #10 - Last Word on Sports
To top it off, he has a strong and accurate wrist shot and quick release.

From Should the Canucks draft Elias Pettersson?
He has sublime hands, controlling the puck well in traffic and occasionally making defenders and goaltenders look silly. On top of that, he can beat a goaltender with either his wristshot or his slap shot, both of which are heavy and accurate.

It's more that his shot was a bit overshadowed by the rest of his package like his hockey IQ, hands, passing and overall creativity. But it was never really a weak point for him. From what I've seen Zegras is not really close when it comes to shot/release at the same age. No shame in that, he has a lot of other things going for him and your shot can always be improved.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Not really, he always had a pretty good shot. I mean he scored 19 goals and had 21 assists in Allsvenskan (2nd best league in SWE) in his draft year.

It's more that his shot was a bit overshadowed by the rest of his package like his hockey IQ, hands, passing and overall creativity. But it was never really a weak point for him. From what I've seen Zegras is not really close when it comes to shot/release at the same age. No shame in that, he has a lot of other things going for him and your shot can always be improved.

I would say that Zegras is 7th in my draft rankings, and is very close to 6th.

Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Dach
Turcotte
Krebs
Zegras

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

You're probably right. I thought with the whole "he's too skinny" narrative going around his shot was brought up as an issue.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Mine too. Although there is very little separating 1 and 2, and 3-7 are also very close.
Is there an 8th player you see as extremely close to the second group? This truly seems to be the consensus top 7, but I'm wondering if we are still in for that level of player as well.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Is there an 8th player you see as extremely close to the second group? This truly seems to be the consensus top 7, but I'm wondering if we are still in for that level of player as well.
I see Boldy and Caufield as pretty close to those 7, but there is a step down.

Although it is worth mentioning my top-7 is certainly not the consensus. Most lists have Podkolzin and Cozens there. That said, some people are beginning to sour on them. Podkolzin has always been seen as a risky pick, but Cozens has previously been seen as consensus top-5 pick is starting to drop on some lists.

Reactions: McDoused

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Spending his entire career in Edmonton and having little to show for it in terms of playoff appearances/success. He could want to leave for any number of reasons.

If the Oilers still aren't good in 2 years when Nuge becomes a free agent then we'll have much bigger worries than him leaving.

Bottom line is that you can't worry about stuff like that now. You don't make this pick based on Nuge possibly leaving in 2 years or what any current needs are. You draft the player who you think will be the best player long term.

To me, the best all around players in this draft outside of the top 3 with Byram included are Turcotte and Krebs. I'd be perfectly happy with Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield or maybe Newhook (I need more viewings of him) but Turcotte and Krebs seem like the type of players who you can trust in all situations but also drive play at even strength. What I also like about them is that they aren't afraid to drive the net which is something really lacking on this perimeter oriented team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I see Boldy and Caufield as pretty close to those 7, but there is a step down.

Although it is worth mentioning my top-7 is certainly not the consensus. Most lists have Podkolzin and Cozens there. That said, some people are beginning to sour on them. Podkolzin has always been seen as a risky pick, but Cozens has previously been seen as consensus top-5 pick is starting to drop on some lists.

Neither of these guys are dropping on any lists, only on HF fan boards although if Podkolzin continues to struggle the rest of the tournament, that might open up some eyes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So Caufield is a high end goal scorer? Like a Rich Man's Zack Parise?
He is on pace to shatter the goal scoring record for the tournament held by Ovechkin.

I think there is a 100% chance he goes top 10 now. His performance for this tournament will be impossible for some scouts to ignore.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Really? I think he'd absolutely go top-10 in a re-draft.

Caufield could be even better though. He is a much better skater and defensive player than Debrincat was at the same age.
Yeah, I need more then "he's like Debrincat" to get excite. Debrincat is a decent player, but yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad