Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Did anyone else see Buttons mock released yesterday with Caufield jumping to 8 (Oilers) and Krebs dropping to 11?

Lots of Krebs fans here it seems

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Did anyone else see Buttons mock released yesterday with Caufield jumping to 8 (Oilers) and Krebs dropping to 11?

I'm interested to see why he has Turcotte, Zegras, and Krebs ranked so low...

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I'm in the minority but I really like Craig button. The guy goes to the games and comes up with his own opinions. Even if they are way out there he usually has a reason for his rankings. Hes usually wrong but it gets people talking.

Having said that Buttons biggest problem isnt identifying talent, its projecting what he thinks they will be down the road.

He has had nothing but good things to say about Krebs and loves him so I would guess that he just doesnt see him having the same elite level of production caufield is currently experiencing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm in the minority but I really like Craig button. The guy goes to the games and comes up with his own opinions. Even if they are way out there he usually has a reason for his rankings. Hes usually wrong but it gets people talking.

Having said that Buttons biggest problem isnt identifying talent, its projecting what he thinks they will be down the road.

He has had nothing but good things to say about Krebs and loves him so I would guess that he just doesnt see him having the same elite level of production caufield is currently experiencing.
Buttons' biggest problem is doing things to get reactions, so being completely insincere about this stuff, so he doesn't deserve any credit, even if he shows up at places.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Yes, this kid is going to be a significant player for many years to come. He scores goals, and last time I checked you need those to win games.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Button also has Harley and Broberg inside the top 10 with HF oil fan faves Zegras and Turcotte slipping out. Boldy has been at 6 on his list for a while. Im glad to see 2 D Men inside his top 10 because it gives me hope for a D hungry team to make a reach. Maybe there IS a scenario where we fluke and get to pick Cozens?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Good post from the prospects board on Podkolzin, this guy pretty much echoes my thoughts and everything I've said about Pod in here. So clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way about Podkolzin or has an issue with how he plays the game, and ironically we both use similar clips to showcase why that is.

There is lots not to like about his game.

He anticipates well away from the puck and has the puck skills to grab loose pucks and obstruct the opposition. He is physical and is not afraid to play in traffic. There is significant grit to his game.

However, my biggest complaint now is that he always seems slow when he has the puck, as if his mind is concentrated on just trying to protect the puck and not on what creative moves he must make to generate offense. He can get the puck into the offensive zone often, but too often he'll just try to drive the puck wide towards the net.

When he has the puck in the offensive zone with the opposing defenders protecting their net, he frequently stands still and is forced to move the puck quickly because the opponent closes the gap between themselves and him.

I can see him being a risky pick now because he never seems particularly assertive with the puck. His play with the puck on his stick is quite passive. He is not shifty at all with the puck. He is very predictable offensively.

Here is a great example. He gets the puck in the defensive zone and carries it up the ice with space to do something. He ends up just carrying it all the way up in a straight line and gets trapped in the corner; the opponent smashes him into the boards and he loses possession.

#19 in blue. This play really highlights the good and the bad of his game. Great defensive play, poor offensive play.

So much time and some space to create something, and he does . . . nothing.

Defensively, he reads plays well and can help to transition the play up the ice. He is a good passer and a smooth -- albeit, not fast -- stickhandler. He shoots the puck very well.

It is reasonable to think that he might slip a few spots.

That clip is just another of countless examples of what I've been talking about and frequently showing with my own gifs. There's more in the Podkolzin thread in the prospects forum.

Reactions: MessierII

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Buttons' biggest problem is doing things to get reactions, so being completely insincere about this stuff, so he doesn't deserve any credit, even if he shows up at places.
He deserves more credit than just about anyone on this board including semi-connected people like lowetide.
The guy is annoying to listen to but knows more about the prospects than anyone here.
Like all humans he shows bias towards certain things/players but he provides reasoning for it most of the time.
"doesnt deserve any credit" is just inaccurate.

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you want a good laugh, check out this video:

His mock draft goes:
1) Podkolzin
2) Hughes
3) Turcotte
4) Byram
5) Caufield
6) Kakko
7) Cozens
8) Broberg
9) Suzuki
10) Dach

o_O

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

His mock draft goes:
1) Podkolzin
2) Hughes
3) Turcotte
4) Byram
5) Caufield
6) Kakko
7) Cozens
8) Broberg
9) Suzuki
10) Dach

o_O

I’m not even going to click that. Dosen’t deserve to have an audience with a take like that.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
He deserves more credit than just about anyone on this board including semi-connected people like lowetide.
The guy is annoying to listen to but knows more about the prospects than anyone here.
Like all humans he shows bias towards certain things/players but he provides reasoning for it most of the time.
"doesnt deserve any credit" is just inaccurate.

He may have seen them play more but that doesn't mean his rankings and projection are great. He does give an idea stylistically as to how players play but at the same time his player comparisons are sometimes pretty questionable too.

As Jimmi said he wants reactions and attention, and that skews his objectivity. It's why his rankings jump around so much from month to month.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I don’t think Krebs goes top 10

If Krebs is still there at 8 he's likely BPA and the Oilers should pick him. I wouldn't be surprised though if he slips and some team picks him in the low teens and ends up with a Barzal like steal. It just seems like he's not getting the respect he deserves compared to other similarly ranked prospects.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If Krebs is still there at 8 he's likely BPA and the Oilers should pick him. I wouldn't be surprised though if he slips and some team picks him in the low teens and ends up with a Barzal like steal. It just seems like he's not getting the respect he deserves compared to other similarly ranked prospects.

He doesnt seem better at this level. (Nor is he ranked better). Do you think his skills and toolset project better to the NHL? His -50 may give some pause despite his awful team. Theres a number of guys in the #8 range that look pretty excellent and he is usually grouped just below?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t see it at all. I just don’t think he’s a top 10 talent in this draft.

Reactions: McKappa

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

He seems good enough and complete enough but theres 7 or 8 locks for top 10 in this particular draft and several other players pushing in, with the brobergs of the world waiting to be snapped up by D hungry teams. I hope Krebs has a good showing in the bronze.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

I think the think about Krebs - someone please correct me if I'm wrong - is that he is good at everything, but not especially great at the things that people give most credit for when looking at a player.

He's a good skater, playmaker, and has a decent shot, but I wouldn't say that he's especially 'great' at these things when compared to the players around him in this draft.

However he does have great hockey IQ, great compete level, brings leadership, and is relied on by coaches in all situations. Because of this I think he could become a valuable piece when you're in the playoffs.

I'm leaning towards Zegras though, to me his vision, playmaking, and creativity look elite.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've been following a few analytics based scouting folks lately and they share a similar view of Krebs in that 10ish range.

I think the thing that worries them is that Krebs was significantly outscored when he was on the ice and at basically the same rate the rest of the team was when he was off the ice. Basically Kootenay was a bad team with him on or off the ice. It wasn't a case of him lighting it up and the rest of the team being a dumpster fire.

A guy like Kaliyev(he was on a bad team, but not nearly as bad as Krebs') is an example on the opposite end of the spectrum. He outscored the opponent while on the ice and at a rate significantly higher than the rest of his team while he was off the ice.

Reactions: MessierII

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

His mock draft goes:
1) Podkolzin
2) Hughes
3) Turcotte
4) Byram
5) Caufield
6) Kakko
7) Cozens
8) Broberg
9) Suzuki
10) Dach

o_O

Button is the most stupid man to grace this earth. Is he basing everything off of this tournament??

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don’t understand why Newhook isn’t rated higher, he’s looked great in this tournament

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
He won't be the BPA at 8.

Not comparable to Barzal at all, name me one aspect of Kreb's game that's comparably impressive to Barzal's vision and skating.

I think we end up with one of Caufield or Zegras at 8.

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad