Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If the Oilers still aren't good in 2 years when Nuge becomes a free agent then we'll have much bigger worries than him leaving.

Bottom line is that you can't worry about stuff like that now. You don't make this pick based on Nuge possibly leaving in 2 years or what any current needs are. You draft the player who you think will be the best player long term.

To me, the best all around players in this draft outside of the top 3 with Byram included are Turcotte and Krebs. I'd be perfectly happy with Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield or maybe Newhook (I need more viewings of him) but Turcotte and Krebs seem like the type of players who you can trust in all situations but also drive play at even strength. What I also like about them is that they aren't afraid to drive the net which is something really lacking on this perimeter oriented team.

I just don't agree... I'm not saying pass on the BPA available to draft for need, but I think the difference between say Krebs, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, and Cozens isn't that big. If Nuge walks what do you do then? Do you start drafting for need? Do you mortgage the future to fill that hole? Top 6 centers are tough to acquire.

Nuge has 2 years left on his deal. I think it's totally feasible that a C taken at #8 will be more than ready in his draft +3 to step into 2C. If Nuge decides to stay, we can move that player to wing and have C depth in spades.

tl;dr People might think that Caufield &/or Boldy will be the best player available at 8. Firstly, I disagree and think that Krebs & Zegras are better, and even if they weren't, the difference is marginal at best.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just don't agree... I'm not saying pass on the BPA available to draft for need, but I think the difference between say Krebs, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, and Cozens isn't that big. If Nuge walks what do you do then? Do you start drafting for need? Do you mortgage the future to fill that hole? Top 6 centers are tough to acquire.

Nuge has 2 years left on his deal. I think it's totally feasible that a C taken at #8 will be more than ready in his draft +3 to step into 2C. If Nuge decides to stay, we can move that player to wing and have C depth in spades.

tl;dr People might think that Caufield &/or Boldy will be the best player available at 8. Firstly, I disagree and think that Krebs & Zegras are better, and even if they weren't, the difference is marginal at best.
You don't worry about that 2c spot cause absolute worse case if RNH leaves, you still have Draisaitl to play center.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I need more then "he's like Debrincat" to get excite. Debrincat is a decent player, but yeah

He's scored 41 goals and 76 points this season and has 70 goals combined in his first 2 seasons. What exactly is your definition of good if he's just "decent". He's a top 5 level player.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's scored 41 goals and 76 points this season. What exactly is your definition of good if he's just "decent". He's a top 5 level player.
Ok fair, that's damned good season, I would be curious what he does away from Kane

Edit: I also may have been over looking Debrincat's season this year because of this board's tendency to mythologize guys who the Oilers might have missed in a draft who are playing even mildly well anywhere else.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ok fair, that's damned good season, I would be curious what he does away from Kane

Why should that matter? Should Drai's 50 goals be discredited because he plays alongside McDavid or Rantanen's production because he plays alongside MacKinnon? High skilled wingers usually play with high skilled centers.

FTR, I'm not advocating that the Oilers take Caufield at 8 but if he becomes the player DeBrincat is, you're getting a top 5 level player at 8. The chances of him reaching that ceiling are remote however.

Reactions: 780il

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why should that matter? Should Drai's 50 goals be discredited because he plays alongside McDavid or Rantanen's production because he plays alongside MacKinnon? High skilled wingers usually play with high skilled centers.

FTR, I'm not advocating that the Oilers take Caufield at 8 but if he becomes the player DeBrincat is, you're getting a top 5 level player at 8. The chances of him reaching that ceiling are remote however.
I'm okay with taking Caufield at #8 but Drai will have to play #2C permanently

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm okay with taking Caufield at #8 but Drai will have to play #2C permanently
Not necessarily. Caufield with Drai and McDavid would increase his effectiveness and limit his size concerns. They can block him all they want by Drai is still a massive option to score, so is McDavid

I could see Nuge stay long term here as a center or find a 2c in a trade or signing like lots of teams do.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
You don't worry about that 2c spot cause absolute worse case if RNH leaves, you still have Draisaitl to play center.

Then why don't we just trade Nuge? He could fetch us that 2RD or a good winger + pick.

The reason is because you'd like the option of playing McDavid & Draisaitl together, and if one of them goes down due to injury you have some poor options at 2C.

Again, this is all moot because I think Krebs & Zegras are better picks than Caufield and Boldy regardless.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Then why don't we just trade Nuge? He could fetch us that 2RD or a good winger + pick.

The reason is because you'd like the option of playing McDavid & Draisaitl together, and if one of them goes down due to injury you have some poor options at 2C.

Again, this is all moot because I think Krebs & Zegras are better picks than Caufield and Boldy regardless.
That's why I said worse case. If RNH walks you trade for a 2c (not expensive) or sign one as a free agent. Or run Drai for a bit till you find one.

And yeah. My point was if the winger is the better player you don't skip him for a center because of what may happen in a few years.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Truer words have never been spoken.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Caufield is really looking like a player that just has goalscoring in his DNA. Everyone tends to overrate statistical production a bit in draft years, but this kid sure looks like he has "it". At the NHL level, there are very, very few players like this. I really like the other guys that might be available, but Caufield might be a golden goose. Scared to draft him (size, 2way play vs. others available at 8) but maybe more scared not to. (Goal$$$$$!!)

Reactions: McFlyingV

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I am hoping for Turcotte still to drop. I don't think he will, tbh, but if not for him, then it should be on the table.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
Yes please. I want him gone as soon as possible in the draft so that a) we don't even have the option of selecting him, and b) so that we have more to choose from at 8.

If he really is doing that good in U18, then he is worth a stab at 8th, although yeah, I would prefer someone else. Not gonna lose sleep at night though if he is picked.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
The more I watch Newhook, the more I think he's a top 5 talent.

There are literally no flaws in his game. The only critique about him is he plays in a bad league, but he's proving that critique wrong at the u18s.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If he really is doing that good in U18, then he is worth a stab at 8th, although yeah, I would prefer someone else. Not gonna lose sleep at night though if he is picked.
From my viewings of him in this tournament it has been the complete opposite of what that tweet said. He has been highly unremarkable and appears to have trouble reading plays and using his teammates the way that you would hope a top pick should. Hockey IQ is a question mark for me on him, as is any standout elite attribute. I like several of the Canadian and USA guys much more than him.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
From my viewings of him in this tournament it has been the complete opposite of what that tweet said. He has been highly unremarkable and appears to have trouble reading plays and using his teammates the way that you would hope a top pick should. Hockey IQ is a question mark for me on him, as is any standout elite attribute. I like several of the Canadian and USA guys much more than him.

Well, let's hope that tweet pumps his tires a bit more and someone falls for him. This is gonna be another draft, from 3-8, where a lot of players are going to shuffle around. Which is why I am praying we land Turcotte.

Reactions: McFlyingV

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Why is Legare ranked so low?

He has good production in the Q this year and is already NHL sized - 6'0 202 with a right shot. From what I've seen of him at the u18s he's a good skater and has good hands, nice shot and goal scoring instincts as well.

I don't think I'd be opposed to taking him with our 2nd.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The more I read about this draft, seems like pretty good talent within the top 10 (Even maybe Top 12?). Will be interesting to see how it all goes down. Why cant it be June already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->