2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think it would be a no no. If he needed play wing you can easily tell him to use the whole ice a take more chances because his skating is world class plus Toews is so responsible.
IMO, you are not drafting a kid #1 overall to move him to a position he has never played before...that has never happened with that level of a player from what I can remember, a #1 OV pick.. Hughes is going to be a center right away, over time if a team feels he needs to move over to wing then that might be a possibility, but I would not mess one ounce with him and let him do what he does up here for at least a few years before entertaining any move.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The Panarin Hughes Kane line sounds exciting. Would they play any defense ... especially with a rookie centering the line? Add Joker and Gus on the backline and they'll score 3 goals ... but also give up 3 per game.
f*** defense lol!!! they would do way more good than bad...let the other lines focus on that, let that trio scorch the Earth!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
@AmericanDream obviously Hughes and Kakko will be able to make an immediate impact next season, but what about the other guys who are likely in the top 5? Does a guy like Dach or Cozens make the NHL next season, and if so, what type of player will they be?
it is a good question, and honestly I am unsure at this point. there are always many factors to look at especially opportunity right out the gate, but both Dach and Cozens are physically built for the NHL, but I don't know if they are immediately ready for the grind either. Dach has some skating concerns though I think it is a bit overblown by some...I could see one of those two making it right away if I had to guess, but a long way to go need to see how they finish by years end and how they test at the combine as well..

Reactions: CallMeShaft

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
it is a good question, and honestly I am unsure at this point. there are always many factors to look at especially opportunity right out the gate, but both Dach and Cozens are physically built for the NHL, but I don't know if they are immediately ready for the grind either. Dach has some skating concerns though I think it is a bit overblown by some...I could see one of those two making it right away if I had to guess, but a long way to go need to see how they finish by years end and how they test at the combine as well..
Here's a another question: who is a Bowman type of player in the draft? He seems to really value speed and skill.

Reactions: LDF

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Point is built like a brick ****house. Hughes, not so much.
they are nearly identical in height and weight...Jeremy Roenick entered the league the same size as Hughes back when the league was filled with goons..

if you have elite skill like Hughes does, you can get by especially today. kid needs to grow and mature no doubt, but my point is you do not draft a kid #1 overall to switch him to a position he has never played before...that makes no sense, let him show what he can do up here for a year or two then adjust accordingly if needed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
IMO, you are not drafting a kid #1 overall to move him to a position he has never played before...that has never happened with that level of a player from what I can remember, a #1 OV pick.. Hughes is going to be a center right away, over time if a team feels he needs to move over to wing then that might be a possibility, but I would not mess one ounce with him and let him do what he does up here for at least a few years before entertaining any move.

I am not saying it would be a permanent move but you can use it to acclimate him into the NHL. Longterm he is a center but if you can get him more time playing with Toews early you do so then transition him back.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
If anyone knows, what’s the story on these 3 goalies slated to go in the 2nd round?

Mack Guzda
Hunter Jones
Spencer Knight

Thanks.
Knight seems to be the consensus #1 goalie in this draft and is currently ranked 15th in HockeyProspect.com's rankings. NHL Central Scouting services view him as a 1st round candidate as well. Some people believe he is the best US goalie prospect since John Gibson. I don't know much about Jones, but he is ranked 20th by HockeyProspect and is a 2nd/3rd round candidate, according to NHL CSS. Guzda is seen as a 4th/5th/6th round candidate. A goalie to keep your eye on is Mads Sogaard. He is 6'7", ranked 21st by HockeyProspect, and is viewed as a 2nd/3rd round candidate.

If you can come out of the draft with Hughes then Knight in the 2nd, that would be incredible.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Here's a another question: who is a Bowman type of player in the draft? He seems to really value speed and skill.

To me it looks like they draft for top end potential and the argument can be made that a lot of kids who have a size disadvantage yet look great on the ice can perhaps hit peaks that guys with the size advantage might not appear to have in their game having had the benefit of playing against smaller/weaker peers when coming up. So, it's just coincidence we draft some small fellas who need every bit of speed/skill/smarts it takes to compete.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am not saying it would be a permanent move but you can use it to acclimate him into the NHL. Longterm he is a center but if you can get him more time playing with Toews early you do so then transition him back.
I hear you, but all I am saying is moving a kid to a position he hasn't played before isn't the most ideal thing to do...most of the dynamic skaters/skilled players in the league are centers, not sure moving him to the wing really helps him any...but we will see how he handles it and IF we can even draft this kid lol!!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
he was asking how would the line of Panarin - Hughes- Kane stack up against Nashville...not sure what the org fixing the goalie has to do with it???
and if the goalie is not fix, the team will loose. so in essence how can you rate them if the team keeps loosing.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
by then, Nashville might not even be a playoff team....and I would think that line would do just as good as our skilled lines have to done to Nashville all those times on our way to the Cup!
Those skill lines almost all had someone who could retrieve the puck, though. Without those kind of guys, I think the Hawks' playoff series will continue to look like breakout practice for the opposing team.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
they are nearly identical in height and weight...Jeremy Roenick entered the league the same size as Hughes back when the league was filled with goons..

if you have elite skill like Hughes does, you can get by especially today. kid needs to grow and mature no doubt, but my point is you do not draft a kid #1 overall to switch him to a position he has never played before...that makes no sense, let him show what he can do up here for a year or two then adjust accordingly if needed.

Would never realize that looking at them, but I guess you're right.

Roenick was a completely different player and had a mean streak almost nobody in the NHL possesses in this day and age.

Reactions: AmericanDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad