2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I really like Hughes and he seems to have the best overall package. The only thing that worries me is his size.
Players his size can disappear when the checking game gets really tight come playoff time.

I'd be real leery of him trying to out skate everyone at the next level with guys Like Wilson wanting to line him up at center ice.
It's a tough call. What happens if you they get the #1 Pick and Take Hughes only to have him pushed around when it counts? Maybe he warrants the #1 pick and everything works out great. Maybe he's that good and there is nothing to worry about.

What if another team wants to trade up from 2 to get him? That would be interesting as I think Kakko is going to be another Malkin type player. I really do. If someone wanted to give me the #2 pick and another #1+ I think I'd seriously consider that deal.

This team needs a combination of skill and size. No one looks better than Kakko in that dept. I think Kakko is going to be something special.
you bring up the objection i have been waiting for. this is close to leading to my apprehension of why i am not really sold on Hughes, regardless of what many are saying. remember there is no redraft if the players chosen doesn't pan out.

i keep envisioning the replay of Edm No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov..... this was the #1 of the whole draft.... so when i see Hughes stats this yr, they are really, imho abysmal for what i would expect from a #1 pick that is unless that pick was a d-men.... which Hughes is not.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
you bring up the objection i have been waiting for. this is close to leading to my apprehension of why i am not really sold on Hughes, regardless of what many are saying. remember there is no redraft if the players chosen doesn't pan out.

i keep envisioning the replay of Edm No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov..... this was the #1 of the whole draft.... so when i see Hughes stats this yr, they are really, imho abysmal for what i would expect from a #1 pick that is unless that pick was a d-men.... which Hughes is not.
It’s not even close to being finalized that Hughes goes number 1 overall. Patrick was supposed to go first yet it was Hischier who went there.

Say the Hawks get to pick first, what if they think Toews, Strome and Barratt stepping in is good enough for center depth. Maybe they go for the big winger in Kakko. It’s not like there’s a huge talent gap between the two.

Reactions: LDF and ColdSteel2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It’s not even close to being finalized that Hughes goes number 1 overall. Patrick was supposed to go first yet it was Hischier who went there.

Say the Hawks get to pick first, what if they think Toews, Strome and Barratt stepping in is good enough for center depth. Maybe they go for the big winger in Kakko. It’s not like there’s a huge talent gap between the two.
remember this, this is only 1 person pov at this time and that is mine. plus one has to take into that pov the fact that i am not a pro scout or sports writer.... so my opinion is at best a subjective pov without proof.

i am just voicing my concerns and why i have been against this selection esp if the Bhawks gets the first pick.

another point i would like to point out, i wish i had save the link is where a sports writer notice that Hughes been playing more of perimeter type of a game, b/c of his size doesn't play well in close.

btw you do make a good point.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Joe Sakic played center in a league that was much more physical than now. He was an inch taller than Hughes is. Didnt work out bad for him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
remember this, this is only 1 person pov at this time and that is mine. plus one has to take into that pov the fact that i am not a pro scout or sports writer.... so my opinion is at best a subjective pov without proof.

i am just voicing my concerns and why i have been against this selection esp if the Bhawks gets the first pick.

another point i would like to point out, i wish i had save the link is where a sports writer notice that Hughes been playing more of perimeter type of a game, b/c of his size doesn't play well in close.

btw you do make a good point.
Remember everyone thought Sam Darnold would be the top QB picked until Baker Mayfield's post season workouts.

I'm getting the sense Hughes is not the consensus #1 pick. That said, you pick the best talent with the #1 pick regardless of position. The pick needs to become a star. If Hughes is better than Kakko ... you don't pick Kakko (whoever he is) because of need.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Anybody remember the story of The Canadiens, Doug Wickenheiser and Denis Savard?

Reactions: LDF

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Remember everyone thought Sam Darnold would be the top QB picked until Baker Mayfield's post season workouts.

I'm getting the sense Hughes is not the consensus #1 pick. That said, you pick the best talent with the #1 pick regardless of position. The pick needs to become a star. If Hughes is better than Kakko ... you don't pick Kakko (whoever he is) because of need.
And the counter point to this is just because they’re deemed to be the best talent at the draft, doesn’t mean it’s always gonna be that way.

People were laughing at the Jackets for taking PLD over Poolparty. Well one of those guys has 27 points this year, the other has 3 with a trip to the minors. They drafted based off need.
The Habs did that this year and it doesn’t look like a terrible gamble.

There’s no correct way of drafting. Drafting the best player available only works if they’re the best in the long run. What’s important is having good scouts who can pick out actual talent vs the pretenders.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Anybody remember the story of The Canadiens, Doug Wickenheiser and Denis Savard?
oh yeah, i was plaining on saving that story for a rebuttal on my post.

a great point. !!!!!! :thumbu:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Joe Sakic played center in a league that was much more physical than now. He was an inch taller than Hughes is. Didnt work out bad for him.
therefore anyone player that has that height , will make it in the nhl uh ??

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

My understanding is that Hughes has put up huge stats in juniors. Is that not accurate?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
And the counter point to this is just because they’re deemed to be the best talent at the draft, doesn’t mean it’s always gonna be that way.

People were laughing at the Jackets for taking PLD over Poolparty. Well one of those guys has 27 points this year, the other has 3 with a trip to the minors. They drafted based off need.

There’s no correct way of drafting. Drafting the best player available only works if they’re the best in the long run. What’s important is having good scouts who can pick out actual talent vs the pretenders.
look at who i thought would be great picks. i had hope for Skille, mostly b/c he went to school at Wi. or how bout Kyle Beach in the 2008 draft. the point is, i am a fan and yeah as a fan i didn't do too well myself. so i am saying i am not an expert but a fan ..... can anyone imagine the stress that these pro have to make that selection a home-run ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My understanding is that Hughes has put up huge stats in juniors. Is that not accurate?
and didn't Nail Yakupov made all kinds of records for scoring, while taking the scoring lead by 25 pts at the end of the season.

the point is, this was my opinion i made my mention of being careful and not to totally rely on sports reports. there is no right way and no wrong way....

just discussing as a fan would.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
and didn't Nail Yakupov made all kinds of records for scoring, while taking the scoring lead by 25 pts at the end of the season.

the point is, this was my opinion i made my mention of being careful and not to totally rely on sports reports. there is no right way and no wrong way....

just discussing as a fan would.

I don’t know whether Yakupov set records. My point was that you said Hughes numbers are abysmal for a top pick. My understanding is that his numbers have been exceptional, although I’m not certain.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don’t know whether Yakupov set records. My point was that you said Hughes numbers are abysmal for a top pick. My understanding is that his numbers have been exceptional, although I’m not certain.
that is kool beans .... taking hockey.

my point in the post was this yr his stat is abysmal while the yr before he was lights out. i also read that he became more of a perimeter player this yr.... i am not sold, maybe if he was taller, would i have the same concerns ?? i do not know.

Jack Hughes at eliteprospects.com

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
They could be better this season for a likely first, and that's making some think he's not all that great of a #1 pick compared to other players drafted there.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They could be better this season for a likely first, and that's making some think he's not all that great of a #1 pick compared to other players drafted there.
this is again me being confuse here..... so i am going to spit ball here and throw this out there.

while it would be a spectacular call if it was truly a hands down selection.... but it isn't. however isn't the other part of the draft is how scouts think a player will pan out ???

see i am really confuse on the #1 selection. i am not sold.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

You are correct. Hughes has put up great numbers and no one can logically argue differently imo.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
There has been reports (or tweets) from Hughes dad that Hughes need to be stronger and stronger and one more time stronger. Couldn't agree about that more.

Any of you guys know if he did that in the summer because he started kind of slowly?

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Exactly! Look no further than Mitch Trubisky.....1 year college starter, 2nd overall (Bears even sacrificed picks doing so) and in retrospect the homeruns Pace has been hitting in the latter part of the draft would have been nice to have more picks.

Colin Cowherd is not a fan of Mitch but he did have one positive spin on it recently, "Teams can win a lot of games with a low ceiling QB.." And the Bears have had regular season success with low ceiling QB's of their own in Grossman, McMahon and Cutler.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has been at 2 ppg all year, nobody has ever been higher than that at the USNDP...ever...not sure what more a 17 year old can do against half of their games vs the NCAA...expectations have gotten out of hand with him IMO, kid has been a 2ppg player the past 3 years...hard to do a lot more than that..

Reactions: Blue Liner

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Exactly! Look no further than Mitch Trubisky.....1 year college starter, 2nd overall (Bears even sacrificed picks doing so) and in retrospect the homeruns Pace has been hitting in the latter part of the draft would have been nice to have more picks.

Colin Cowherd is not a fan of Mitch but he did have one positive spin on it recently, "Teams can win a lot of games with a low ceiling QB.." And the Bears have had regular season success with low ceiling QB's of their own in Grossman, McMahon and Cutler.
Cowherd thought Mayfield would suck because he celebrated too much after a good play. He's a gasbag who's just trying to get ratings for his failing platform. He left ESPN for money ... and desperately trying to become relevant again ... which he hasn't.

BTW ... last look at the last 4 drafts and the 1st round QBs.

* Winston
* Mariota
* Goff
* Wentz
* Trubisky
* Watson
* Mahomes
* Mayfield
* Darnold
* Allen
* Rosen
* Jackson

Who isn't inconsistent EXCEPT Mahomes? Developing QBs take time.

I suspect the NHL draft is a lot about patience too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hughes is on pace to have the best numbers ever at the USNDP, outproducing Auston Matthews...
I'm not sure I fully understand this. According to both players' EP pages, in Matthews' last season playing for the USDP, he scored at a rate of 1.95ppg. And that wasn't even Matthews' draft season, because he was playing overseas the season leading up to his draft.

Hughes' current pppg in the USDP is 1.92, which is obviously a tad below what Matthews accomplished at a slightly younger age.

Am I missing something here? Do you project Hughes to come back from the WJC and go on a huge tear? Does EP have the numbers wrong? I don't get it right now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not sure I fully understand this. According to both players' EP pages, in Matthews' last season playing for the USDP, he scored at a rate of 1.95ppg. And that wasn't even Matthews' draft season, because he was playing overseas the season leading up to his draft.

Hughes' current pppg in the USDP is 1.92, which is obviously a tad below what Matthews accomplished at a slightly younger age.

Am I missing something here? Do you project Hughes to come back from the WJC and go on a huge tear? Does EP have the numbers wrong? I don't get it right now.
Hughes is on pace to have more points than Matthews over 2 years at the USNDP...Matthews is the leader for USNDP scoring all -time and Hughes is on pace to destroy that...

Matthews had 167 points over 2 years - Hughes has 166 RIGHT NOW with a ton of games left, what Hughes is doing is unbelievable at the USNDP..Hughes has been far superior to Matthews at the USNDP, but people seem to be overlooking some of this...

Reactions: Toews2Bickell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad