2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Would never realize that looking at them, but I guess you're right.

Roenick was a completely different player and had a mean streak almost nobody in the NHL possesses in this day and age.
Roenick totally is a different player than Hughes, JR was an animal for his size, not sure people truly realize how good he was and how physical he was at his size..

Just saying that guys like Roenick, Lafontaine, Gretzky, etc were not above 6'0 and 170lbs when drafted...no matter the era, skill wins out - Hughes will be fine at center IMO.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Man would I love to get my hands on another first round pick somehow. #1 OA, another first rounder, and then 32nd OA. Load up on some some forwards, sign Panarin, and we are golden.
Agreed. Imagine coming out of the draft with Hughes, Pelletier and Vlasic with our first 3 picks.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
We are going to win the lottery

upload_2018-12-10_21-34-26.gif

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
We will most likely get a top 5 pick if nothing changes. Whose our top 5 for this draft?
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Turcotte
5. Cozens
????

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Pretty disheartened to hear scouts and pundits start to talk about this as a weak draft.

Pierre McGuire's comments about Hughes being a "Hischier" level prospect doesn't sound great. Also, drawing Keller comps. Useful player but not the impact the Hawks need to extend a cup window.

To me the league is all about being bad at the exact right moments in the generational prospect cycle. So, this isn't the news I wanted.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Pretty disheartened to hear scouts and pundits start to talk about this as a weak draft.

Pierre McGuire's comments about Hughes being a "Hischier" level prospect doesn't sound great. Also, drawing Keller comps. Useful player but not the impact the Hawks need to extend a cup window.

To me the league is all about being bad at the exact right moments in the generational prospect cycle. So, this isn't the news I wanted.
i am a fan and is very dependent on these so called experts and their snippet they publish.

however what i am seeing is a big separation of the top level prospects and the avg prospects. there is either one or the other. not too many that are considered or express as the in-between players. this is my opinion on the 1 st rounder. now the 2nd rounder there is not too many top level for the 2nd rounder expectation, then the rest is avg prospects.

now remember a full team in the nhl level needs those avg players to fill out the team.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Wasn’t Kane considered a mid tier first overall? You’re right though, ton of luck involved.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Think about it this way ... if the Hawks were just a bit worse the year they took Barker #3, we would have ended up with either Ovechkin or Malkin. Then do we get Toews and Kane? This is the butterfly effect for sports. You just never know unless you believe Einstein's theory of the Fabric of Time.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Think about it this way ... if the Hawks were just a bit worse the year they took Barker #3, we would have ended up with either Ovechkin or Malkin. Then do we get Toews and Kane? This is the butterfly effect for sports. You just never know unless you believe Einstein's theory of the Fabric of Time.

Yep. I follow this belief as well. Even the most minor of draft picks or trades can have a drastic effect down the line... It's a huge reason you can't really go back and say "what if".

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Hawks lost the lottery for Malkin and dropped one slot, getting stuck with Barker.

Completely agree with the premise though, and have thought about that before. Likely no Kane, but maybe still Toews? That’s also why the “if we were able to keep xyz players instead of cap loss” lineup scenarios including subsequent draft picks like TT or Schmaltz for example are pure fantasy.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
on the other hand there are more and more prospects now then there were before hand. more talented and to pick and chose..... the growth of hockey is wide and ever growing.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hawks lost the lottery for Malkin and dropped one slot, getting stuck with Barker.

Completely agree with the premise though, and have thought about that before. Likely no Kane, but maybe still Toews? That’s also why the “if we were able to keep xyz players instead of cap loss” lineup scenarios including subsequent draft picks like TT or Schmaltz for example are pure fantasy.
this is interesting and compelling statement...... but can you also tighten this up a little more... can you expand on your thought pls....

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I hope Hawks could draft this super trio: Kakko (RW/LW), Cozens (C/RW), Leason (RW)
- more of a pipe dream rather than possibility

Now i understand that, to get 2 high first round picks, trade is a must
and a big trade to be exact, either Kane or Toews.

19-20 season without Kaner:
(one possibility)

DeBrincat-Strome-Leason
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Barratt-Cozens-Nordgren (Nordgren-Barratt-Cozens)
Hagel-Hakkarainen-Hayden

Or...after "minor" trade with the Bolts

DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Barratt-Cozens-Leason
Hagel-Hakkarainen-Nordgren

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I hope Hawks could draft this super trio: Kakko (RW/LW), Cozens (C/RW), Leason (RW)

(one possibility)

DeBrincat-Strome-Leason
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Hagel-Hakkarainen-Hayden

DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Barratt-Cozens-Leason
That would pretty much narrow the trading partner down to Colorado who has Ottawa's 1st which in all likely hood is going to be in the top 10 maybe even 5. Can't see Kane waiving to go to an actual bottom feeder team so there ya go!
It's always a gamble to some degree when you trade a player of Kane's stature.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

(one possibility)

DeBrincat-Strome-Leason
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Hagel-Hakkarainen-Hayden

DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Barratt-Cozens-Leason
while i was always trying to encourage via mention the idea of Kakko as a alternative for Hughes..... that was mostly my opinion that i was not totally sold on him.... i like other players as well. but for this pov, either Kokko or Hughes is a too good to pass on either one.

if the team did get lucky and swing for another 1st and lets say the pick is in the teens, then Alexander Newhook is my choice. however a late 1st rounder i would pick the goalie Knight.

2nd round .... wow. D- Björnfot F- B Leason (yeah i too like him) F- J Pelletier F- H Blaisdell

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
I really like Hughes and he seems to have the best overall package. The only thing that worries me is his size.
Players his size can disappear when the checking game gets really tight come playoff time.

I'd be real leery of him trying to out skate everyone at the next level with guys Like Wilson wanting to line him up at center ice.
It's a tough call. What happens if you they get the #1 Pick and Take Hughes only to have him pushed around when it counts? Maybe he warrants the #1 pick and everything works out great. Maybe he's that good and there is nothing to worry about.

What if another team wants to trade up from 2 to get him? That would be interesting as I think Kakko is going to be another Malkin type player. I really do. If someone wanted to give me the #2 pick and another #1+ I think I'd seriously consider that deal.

This team needs a combination of skill and size. No one looks better than Kakko in that dept. I think Kakko is going to be something special.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

2017 was considered a weak draft class. Yet we were able to pick up Jokiharju and Mitchell with our first two picks, they weren’t even early.

Drafts are what you make of them. If you draft well, then it doesn’t matter if it’s a weak draft class or not.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
2017 was considered a weak draft class. Yet we were able to pick up Jokiharju and Mitchell with our first two picks, they weren’t even early.

Drafts are what you make of them. If you draft well, then it doesn’t matter if it’s a weak draft class or not.

And then a gem of a player at 5th OA in Elias Petterson was in that draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad