Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So he's the Daniel Jones of the NHL Draft. (Ironically, also taken at #6OA, but to completely parallel that scenario, Byram would have to still be on the board.)

But he's not getting drafted just because his coach coached the Manning brothers... :laugh:

Broberg just dominated his peer group again. He has some question marks, but I could absolutely see him in the top 10 with his ceiling. I had him top 5 at one point but get a Bogosian worry from time to time, but I can also see the argument that he projects as the best dman in this draft Byram included. He has a ton of physical gifts that are hard to find.

Also reminds me of Cam Fowler. I have warmed up to him a bit. Another thing to consider is he doesn't turn 18 until after draft night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What's wrong with Broberg?

Personally he doesn't seem to have projectable skills to consistently impact the game offensively. Nearly all of his offense comes from big end-to-end rushes that just aren't common in the NHL. I don't see plus passing, vision or O-zone instincts. His shot seems good enough and he can certainly skate. With his size and skating he does pretty well defensively.

At the next level, I see him as a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener, defensive defenseman that scores a highlight reel goal every once in a while but isn't consistently tilting the ice the way a top pairing D should. That's a fine player, just not at 6 OA. If we had a second first in the 15-20 range I'd be really happy with Broberg, but I don't like him as much as I liked Liljegren for example who I think was a similar player.

Reactions: AD1066

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yes I agree but I wasn't targeting a top 10 pick neccesarily. Maybe that 10-20 range if one or a few of those names started to fall. I think it's worth a shot.

I don't think that's near enough to trade up any higher than like 20, and even that's a stretch IMO.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So he's the Daniel Jones of the NHL Draft. (Ironically, also taken at #6OA, but to completely parallel that scenario, Byram would have to still be on the board.)
If the wings take Broberg over Byram there has to be a video tape of him beating a woman or something crazy like that to have happened.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know it doesn't excuse Holland's foibles, but my god, is there a worse GM in professional sports than Gettelman?

I mean, Chiarelli's a leader in the clubhouse for that too... but Gettelman has systematically destroyed the Giants. And my god, they're going to waste a HoF RB's career away in the process.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just read the Fox story on TSN. I didn't know he was originally a 3rd rounder for Calgary. I wonder what other prospects the Flames have lying around.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yzerman being here will lure more FA's imo. I would have at least kicked tires on a deal...

Him wanting to go to NY is the second worst kept secret after the captain coming home. He was going to go UFA in August and sign with a NY team. Kinda similar to the Trouba sitch, eh? Only the Rangers had the nads to go get the guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Excellent skater, developing defensive game. I am very high on him and think he could be the second best defensemen in the class.

What are your thoughts on Vlasic?

He might be available in rounds 2-4 now, but not sure I’m super interested anymore.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When?

In this graphic he didn’t even have Broberg as who impressed him most for Team Sweden:

He was already high on him, so he is just consolidating that. Broberg was just named the best d-man in the tournament. I think if we pick ceiling he is in the conversation.

I am a little worried about what he would bring for 82 games still sometimes. But when the chips are down in the playoffs I think this dude is going to be a stud.

Poor man's version of Seth Jones for me.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Him wanting to go to NY is the second worst kept secret after the captain coming home. He was going to go UFA in August and sign with a NY team. Kinda similar to the Trouba sitch, eh? Only the Rangers had the nads to go get the guy.
Is nads a synonym for stupid?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman being here will lure more FA's imo. I would have at least kicked tires on a deal...

He didn't want to come here, I read a story 2 years ago I believe that said he always wanted to play with the NYR. It's why he didn't sign with either CGY or CAR. So in this case asking really didn't matter much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What are your thoughts on Vlasic?

He might be available in rounds 2-4 now, but not sure I’m super interested anymore.

I would consider him in the late 2nd, but I am not sure I would want to take him as our first defensemen of the draft if that makes any sense. He does a lot of good things but I have a hard time seeing him finding the offensive light switch at this point. The same could be said, however, for most of the defensemen expected to go outside of the first. Also, has he gotten much better over the course of the season? I was expecting a bigger developmental leap this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad