Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
He may be the "#1 prospect" but it's super close. Not every team has Hughes #1...

I'm looking forward to how they progress and the obvious NJ vs NYR rivalry. I'll say it now so you can quote me on it if I'm wrong - I think Kakko will be better than Hughes.
I came to that same conclusion a few months back as well.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I never really liked the Kesler comparison that LWOH chose for Cozens. Jeff Carter is a comparison that I found more reasonable. Good size, big shot, shoot first style of offense, but with really high end skating. Probably ends up throwing 250-300 shots on net in a season on average. In my limited viewings, I've never seen the top notch defensive aptitude to be a Selke candidate at any point, at least not a serious contender. Does that make me any more or less likely to pursue him? Not really, it may even help him, but I just think it goes to show how much comparisons need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Don't really see Zegras as a plus two way center, nor do I see Kuznetsov being a good fit for him.

Basically, I think we throw around this "good defensive" label a lot for draft eligible forward prospects, and very, very few of them are remotely close to being good two way players. Someone like Veleno, I believe he's legitimately a quality two way player off the bat; you can see in his play the amount of care he puts on being complete, but many players are being given this rubber stamp just because they are quite a better than the opposition and control the game.
A Zegras comparable I keep going back to is Backstrom. He's quick but he won't burn you with his speed like Kuzy does. Pass first centre, almost passes too much. His shot's not bad but not great. Quick hands, good two way game for a young player, fantastic playmaker. His game screams Backstrom.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fortunately, creativity is a lot less important than adjusting to the physical demands. You know who's game requires absolutely zero creativity? Ovechkin. You drop Ovechkin in the NHL with his physical traits and his shot and nothing else, he's still a 30 goal scorer. Kakko's entire game plays in the NHL right now, Hughes' game doesn't. Parts of his game will, but not all of it. His vision and his speed will be an immediate translation, but bigger, faster, stronger players than what he's been exposed to will make for a larger learning curve for Hughes than Kakko.

If you want me to shoot based on who is the most likely to be a guaranteed quality player in the NHL, I take Kakko. If you want me to pick based on who is most likely to be an elite player in the NHL, I take Hughes. At number one, I don't want just a quality player, I want the best player to come out of the draft, and as a result, you gotta bet on the upside of Hughes.

I know people were excited that he didn't wilt and protected the puck well against Canada and USA, but how Suter prevented his goal the other day is routine. NHL dman are easily the best in the world in the corners and with their sticks. I think people are fooling themselves if they think his transition is going to be lightning quick.

I don't see Kakko as that much different than Brady Tkachuk... he is a better finisher but Brady is more intense and a better passer in my opinion, like I said earlier in this thread outside of Jack Hughes I liked everyone in my top 4 more last year. Still think that even watching the World's and moving him up to three.

I mean some of the numbers being thrown out are pretty lofty. Svechnikov and Tkachuk didn't score like that and they are big bodied NHL ready guys that protect the puck well too. Time will tell I guess.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone expect Spencer Knight to be available at 35? I've seen him as high as 17 to Vegas but I know teams have reservations about taking goalies in the first. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to snag a goalie with his potential. Would you trade up for him?
i have him going to CGY in the 1st

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
All the rumours are pointing out that TOP4 will be Byram, Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte (in Alphabetical order, no reason to freak out).

So we will draft from Cozens/Dach/Zegras/Podkolzin/Krebs -group.

C/RW Dylan Cozens
6'3, shoots Right

C Kirby Dach
6'4, shoots Right

C Trevor Zegras
6'0, shoots Left

RW Vasili Podkolzin
6'1, shoots left

C/LW Peyton Krebs
5'11, shoots Left

I want my "Getzlaf". Or "Kuznetsov".

And a Joker card, if he falls to our 2nd rounder:

RW Brett Leason
6'4, shoots Right

All quotes from NHL Prospects Archives - Last Word on Hockey

See this is my concern with pro comparisons though. Instead of comparing Cozens and Zegras we start comparing Kesler and Kuznetsov.

I'm sure Sam Bennett and Jake Virtanen were compared to Eric Staal and Rick Nash. Then they turned out to be Sam Bennett and Jake Virtanen, and people were disappointed (maybe unfairly so).

I think we're better off highlighting a players' tangible skill set (Cozens' strength, speed, and shot, Zegras' skating, edge work, vision) than equating them to an Allstar who shares the same vague attributes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think we're better off highlighting a players' tangible skill set (Cozens' strength, speed, and shot, Zegras' skating, edge work, vision) than equating them to an Allstar who shares the same vague attributes.

I prefer those players stylistic comparables, because it tells me with 2 words what kind of player somebody is.

If. they. reach. their. potential.

If, if if.

After that I don't have to waste more time for some numeric attributes.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I know people were excited that he didn't wilt and protected the puck well against Canada and USA, but how Suter prevented his goal the other day is routine. NHL dman are easily the best in the world in the corners and with their sticks. I think people are fooling themselves if they think his transition is going to be lightning quick.

I don't see Kakko as that much different than Brady Tkachuk... he is a better finisher but Brady is more intense and a better passer in my opinion, like I said earlier in this thread outside of Jack Hughes I liked everyone in my top 4 more last year. Still think that even watching the World's and moving him up to three.

I mean some of the numbers being thrown out are pretty lofty. Svechnikov and Tkachuk didn't score like that and they are big bodied NHL ready guys that protect the puck well too. Time will tell I guess.

I can see why Kakko would remind you of Tkachuk they both kind of have that "Finesse Powerfoward" style of game. I think the biggest difference between them is that Kakko has a better pair of hands and to me just seems to be a little bit better at everything else, outside of physicality. I would still take Svech over both of them but I'm also a huge believer in Svech and think he should be able to flirt with 90 or even 100 points in his peak seasons.

I think like last year there is a lot of talent in this years draft and if someone from that top 4 falls to us we should jump on them, ala Zadina last year. If the draft goes as most expect it to then the Wings still have a number of players that have intriguing upside and could be top line players if they develop correctly. My 3rd tier order hasn't changed much lately - it's still Dach, Krebs, Zegras, and Cozens - and to be honest I would be happy with almost anyone outside of Podklozin or Caufeild at #6. Podkolzin because I have concerns about his scoring ability and whether or not he is another Nichuskin; Caufield because when the talent or upside is close I'd rather take the center over the winger.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean no ill will but the entire scouting staff should be fired if Turcotte is there at 6 and we pass lol

I have scoured at least a half dozen different ranking publications/articles/opinions and he is typically ranked from 6-10. Add in my own opinion from watching him and others and I see him outside the top 7

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have scoured at least a half dozen different ranking publications/articles/opinions and he is typically ranked from 6-10. Add in my own opinion from watching him and others and I see him outside the top 7

He’s the sweetheart of HFBoards. I also don’t think it is a foregone conclusion he goes top 3 or top 5, and I say that as someone who was on that bandwagon right from the jump.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I hope every team in the top 5 agrees with you ha because outside of Byram, he would the perfect player/fit for us at #6... I'll take a potential better Larkin please! lol

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I hope every team in the top 5 agrees with you ha because outside of Byram, he would the perfect player/fit for us at #6... I'll take a potential better Larkin please! lol

While it's fun to say the potential to be a better Larkin, the "comparables" of those other top 7 are better players than Dylan, so yes please...

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd rather have someone better than Datsyuk

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
While it's fun to say the potential to be a better Larkin, the "comparables" of those other top 7 are better players than Dylan, so yes please...

Turcotte growing to be a better player than Larkin is a tall order imo. The only attribute I'd give him the edge in his his vision in the offensive zone. I don't see Turcotte's skating or strength ever getting to Larkin's level, and Turcotte would have to improve his shot quite a bit to score as well as Larkin does.

A lot can change, and Turcotte is only 18, but I think Larkin's trajectory is pretty close to the ceiling for Turcotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->