Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hopefully Hoglander can be this year's Berggren. I'm really hoping he makes it out of the first round, and that he's on our radar with pick #35. I think he may sneak into the first round though. I know D should be the main focus, especially with pick 35 because we are taking a forward with #6, but Hoglander would be too good to pass on.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Does anybody have any thoughts as to second round picks? I kind of like Tobias Bjornfot but I wonder a) will he still be there and b) from what I've read and seen I wonder if he's more of a high floor/low ceiling guy.

It's so hard for me to tell from mock rankings who will be left at #35 and thus who to focus on when I'm looking at prospects.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does anybody have any thoughts as to second round picks? I kind of like Tobias Bjornfot but I wonder a) will he still be there and b) from what I've read and seen I wonder if he's more of a high floor/low ceiling guy.

It's so hard for me to tell from mock rankings who will be left at #35 and thus who to focus on when I'm looking at prospects.

Rees, Tomasino, Korczak, Holmstrom, Cajkovic, Robertson, Thomson are some guys I like for round 2.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

I want Bjornfot for the name

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
How would you guys feel about trading all 3 of our 2nd round picks for the highest 1st possible?
If we could get Byram and like Caufield/Turcotte/Krebs/Zegras/Broberg that would be a pretty nice haul no?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How would you guys feel about trading all 3 of our 2nd round picks for the highest 1st possible?
If we could get Byram and like Caufield/Turcotte/Krebs/Zegras/Broberg that would be a pretty nice haul no?
i don't think any team would trade that.... there's a big drop from the top 10 to 3 picks in the 35-61 range. I mean would you do that deal? I think we can land in the 20-25 range but nowhere in the top 10

I also think once you starting getting from pick 20 onward the prospect quality flattens (i believe some studies have shown around pick 22 is the sweet spot where trading down is better and having multiple picks in the 22-40 range is better than 1). So id rather have multiple picks in the 25-40 range than just 1 high pick since the prospect quality starts to flatten

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
i don't think any team would trade that.... there's a big drop from the top 10 to 3 picks in the 35-61 range. I mean would you do that deal? I think we can land in the 20-25 range but nowhere in the top 10

I also think once you starting getting from pick 20 onward the prospect quality flattens (i believe some studies have shown around pick 22 is the sweet spot where trading down is better and having multiple picks in the 22-40 range is better than 1). So id rather have multiple picks in the 25-40 range than just 1 high pick since the prospect quality starts to flatten
Yes I agree but I wasn't targeting a top 10 pick neccesarily. Maybe that 10-20 range if one or a few of those names started to fall. I think it's worth a shot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This kid reminds me of Hronek a little bit... could be an option with our early 2nd.

Reactions: Henkka

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How is he defensively and how is his skating? From that highlight vid he has a very nice shot, wrist and slap.
Excellent skater, developing defensive game. I am very high on him and think he could be the second best defensemen in the class.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yes I agree but I wasn't targeting a top 10 pick neccesarily. Maybe that 10-20 range if one or a few of those names started to fall. I think it's worth a shot.

Turcotte and Zegras i think go top 10, outside shot on Newhook and Caufield but they're probably in the top half. Broberg i've seen ranges everywhere. Idk, i still don't think a team moves a pick 10-20 for 35, 60 and 61. It took SJS pick 58 to move up only 2 spots with Detroit in 2013. Or last year it took it took NYR pick 48 to move up 5 spots in the 1st.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Nah.

I want us to continue to just draft but do so smartly. Skill, skill, skill.
And hopefully we get lucky and find a true gem. That's what its gonna take to move the franchise up again.

So spin the wheel as many times as we can

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Turcotte and Zegras i think go top 10, outside shot on Newhook and Caufield but they're probably in the top half. Broberg i've seen ranges everywhere. Idk, i still don't think a team moves a pick 10-20 for 35, 60 and 61. It took SJS pick 58 to move up only 2 spots with Detroit in 2013. Or last year it took it took NYR pick 48 to move up 5 spots in the 1st.

Who goes in the top 10 if Turcotte and Zegras are falling out and Newhook or Caufield aren't replacing them?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who goes in the top 10 if Turcotte and Zegras are falling out and Newhook or Caufield aren't replacing them?
idk, i don't think this would happen? I think Turcotte and Zegras go top 10, i think there's an outside shot on Newhook/Caulfield but i think they're more likely top to go to half of the draft (top 15)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
idk, i don't think this would happen? I think Turcotte and Zegras go top 10, i think there's an outside shot on Newhook/Caulfield but i think they're more likely top to go to half of the draft (top 15)

I apparently can't read this morning. I swear I read you saying they were going out of the top 10. Disregard my message.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Nah.

I want us to continue to just draft but do so smartly. Skill, skill, skill.
And hopefully we get lucky and find a true gem. That's what its gonna take to move the franchise up again.

So spin the wheel as many times as we can
Yeah I get that but when I think of the many second rounder we have picked over the past ten years many haven't panned out. If you can get two of these kids in the first round I can't see how we could fail? And this team won't be rebuilt on one draft anyway. Having more picks gives you options to trade up I think it's at least worth exploring...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The two picks we got in a trade are going to be closer to 3rd rounders.

You’re not going to package them together for a very high pick. Would be very surprised if you could get anyone you listed. Maybe a better question is do we think anyone in the 20-30 range is criminally underrated and worth moving up for?

Have a hard time seeing it being worth it unless there is an unexpected faller. Really can’t ever answer this question until the draft comes and we see what happens.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The two picks we got in a trade are going to be closer to 3rd rounders.

You’re not going to package them together for a very high pick. Would be very surprised if you could get anyone you listed. Maybe a better question is do we think anyone in the 20-30 range is criminally underrated and worth moving up for?

Have a hard time seeing it being worth it unless there is an unexpected faller. Really can’t ever answer this question until the draft comes and we see what happens.
Maybe it will take two trades: 60,61 for like 40ish then 35,40+ for like 15-25?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe it will take two trades: 60,61 for like 40ish then 35,40+ for like 15-25?

I have a hard time seeing us getting much higher than ~pick 20.

I did find one pick value chart that suggested pick 15 had equalish value to pick 35 and 40... but realistically... who the hell is going to trade pick 15 for picks 35 and 40? Pretty sure no one does that IRL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Broberg just dominated his peer group again. He has some question marks, but I could absolutely see him in the top 10 with his ceiling. I had him top 5 at one point but get a Bogosian worry from time to time, but I can also see the argument that he projects as the best dman in this draft Byram included. He has a ton of physical gifts that are hard to find.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I have a hard time seeing us getting much higher than ~pick 20.

I did find one pick value chart that suggested pick 15 had equalish value to pick 35 and 40... but realistically... who the hell is going to trade pick 15 for picks 35 and 40? Pretty sure no one does that IRL.
Maybe with a roster player or prospect another team might want that we are willing to part with? Ex. Geno or Smith for example?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Broberg just dominated his peer group again. He has some question marks, but I could absolutely see him in the top 10 with his ceiling. I had him top 5 at one point but get a Bogosian worry from time to time, but I can also see the argument that he projects as the best dman in this draft Byram included. He has a ton of physical gifts that are hard to find.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the Wings took him. I think I'd have to take a short sabbatical from this place, though, because I think people would blow up if he's the pick at #6.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I still wouldn't be surprised if the Wings took him. I think I'd have to take a short sabbatical from this place, though, because I think people would blow up if he's the pick at #6.
So he's the Daniel Jones of the NHL Draft. (Ironically, also taken at #6OA, but to completely parallel that scenario, Byram would have to still be on the board.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad