Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
I’m trying to find the draft rankings but can’t find it anywhere , capfriendly only and they have us at 60-61

If we can somehow drop to 54-55 that would be huge as for the sharks I know we want them to make the finals so we get 3 2nds next year as well , just think they’d resign him anyways so I’m not bothered either way but ya 54 and 55 would be better than 60-61 it can make a difference in a player we want
You can look up the draft rankings from 2017? When Ottawa advanced to the ECF as an 8th seed, iirc. The rankings on capfriendly are preliminary, based on regular season standings.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The way it works is that the draft order (outside of the lottery picks) is decided by regular season points, which would put the Islanders 1st rd pick at 27 and the Sharks 1st rd pick at 26 (+31 for 2nd round and you get 57 and 58). BUT, if a team that ended the RS with less points than those teams (e.g. Canes) advances to the 3rd round of the playoffs, the seeding is a bit different. The winner of the SC picks last, the losing finalist 2nd last (30th, like the Vegas pick we used to draft Veleno), the semifinalists take the 29th and 28th pick (Jets and Tampa last year). If the teams that advance to the 3rd round were ranked lower than NYI and SJS at the end of the regular season, they can jump both those teams in the draft order. Currently, only BOS was ranked higher, so BOS advancing over CBJ wouldn't move those teams. This way, since Tampa, Calgary and Washington are already out, there IS a chance that both our 2nd round picks could move up 4 spots, if BOS and SJS don't advance to the next round.
I had heard that stuff only applied for the first round selections?i don’t know anyways I hope your right I checked capfriendly and nothing has changed

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You can look up the draft rankings from 2017? When Ottawa advanced to the ECF as an 8th seed, iirc. The rankings on capfriendly are preliminary, based on regular season standings.
Ya well I know the seedlings are different for those teams that makes the conference finals but islanders didn’t , again hope your right

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Ok so I been checking the 2017 draft and standings and all that and so with the islanders out now we get 54 right.

if we chance it with sj and miss out on a second next year although I think there’s a good chance they sign Nyquist (they’d be dumb to give up a second and third and not resign him and get back some assets through a trade later on if they decided to move him someday) then we can have 54-55 which can make a difference in getting a player we want with that 7 spots difference

Was rooting for the sharks for the cup not for the second but for Joe Thornton and the sharks always failing , ah well f*** em lol

Reactions: firestarter

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
So what would it take to move up from 35 to the caps 25 let’s say or the stars 18th?

I’m really high on John beecher for a while and now it just seems he’s shot up like crazy and has a chance of moving up to the first round now

Caps have no third so was thinking

25 for 35 and 65? Was hoping 35 and 97 but I doubt it would get done

Or Dallas has no 18th so maybe 35 and the sharks pick and a 5th?

Maybe we can move back from 18 to 20-22 and still take beecher and add a pick back?

What you guys think would be the cost, sounds good have to have all these picks but I want to make sure we get quality over quantity and I think beecher can be a stud player and I think he’s doing to Detroit to play next year

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So what would it take to move up from 35 to the caps 25 let’s say or the stars 18th?

I’m really high on John beecher for a while and now it just seems he’s shot up like crazy and has a chance of moving up to the first round now

Caps have no third so was thinking

25 for 35 and 65? Was hoping 35 and 97 but I doubt it would get done

Or Dallas has no 18th so maybe 35 and the sharks pick and a 5th?

Maybe we can move back from 18 to 20-22 and still take beecher and add a pick back?

What you guys think would be the cost, sounds good have to have all these picks but I want to make sure we get quality over quantity and I think beecher can be a stud player and I think he’s doing to Detroit to play next year

I think the play here might be the patient one. If you have a player ranked top 15 that falls (like I believe the Wings had Veleno top 15 all day) and if you see that guy fall, then you make a deal happen. Obviously last year the second round picks were early second round, and I can understand the passive approach because they had a trio of picks between 30 and 40 which obviously turned into 3 quality players. This year two late seconds are going to virtually be 3rd rounders, and I’m completely okay with using those as ammo if the right player is available. But I wouldn’t punt on them before draft night.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I think the play here might be the patient one. If you have a player ranked top 15 that falls (like I believe the Wings had Veleno top 15 all day) and if you see that guy fall, then you make a deal happen. Obviously last year the second round picks were early second round, and I can understand the passive approach because they had a trio of picks between 30 and 40 which obviously turned into 3 quality players. This year two late seconds are going to virtually be 3rd rounders, and I’m completely okay with using those as ammo if the right player is available. But I wouldn’t punt on them before draft night.
Obviously not saying to make the trade today but I’m saying when the time comes what would it take ? Cause I can’t see beecher being there for instance at 35

Stars would cost a lot more at 18 but caps at 25 with no 3rds and the recent deal with Jensen and the caps might make us trading partners and I think they’d consider moving back ten spots if it meant they ended up with 3 2nds , could be wrong (hopefully 35 and 65 would cut it ) don’t think teams will overpay like crazy to move up unless it’s a top 20 guy or something like that , teams value picks more these days , like can’t see it being 25 for 35,59 and 65

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Obviously not saying to make the trade today but I’m saying when the time comes what would it take ? Cause I can’t see beecher being there for instance at 35

Stars would cost a lot more at 18 but caps at 25 with no 3rds and the recent deal with Jensen and the caps might make us trading partners and I think they’d consider moving back ten spots if it meant they ended up with 3 2nds , could be wrong (hopefully 35 and 65 would cut it ) don’t think teams will overpay like crazy to move up unless it’s a top 20 guy or something like that , teams value picks more these days , like can’t see it being 25 for 35,59 and 65

I’m a fan of Beecher as well, but I’m not convinced I’d trade up for him considering there’s an extremely high chance we are going center, or forward at a minimum at #6. If we by some chance get Byram, I’d entertain it.

I think cost is dependent on how the draft is playing out and who we are trading with. But I’d suggest you start with all 3 seconds to move up to the 20 range as a concept and pray that it’s less than that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Teams don't just trade up for the sake of trading up. They only do it, if a guy on their list is falling into their pick range and they don't want to miss out. Unfortunately we have no idea what any teams list of players is, as I am sure there are names we wouldn't even think of being decently high up on many lists. To me, once you get in to that 16-24 range, I don't think there is a massive difference in the player you will get, and the cost of trading up is usually higher than would seemingly make any sense.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't know when we start a 2020 draft thread but it's looking so good. Ottawa 67's are 14-0 in the playoffs and Marco Rossi (2020) is something like 2.5 PPG in that stretch. I think next years OHL group is looking better than this year's WHL group. Forwards anyway.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Another kid we can get in second round, has very good playoffs run
Alexei Protas at eliteprospects.com
What’s his playoff stats?cause his regular season stats aren’t mind blowing and I can’t recall a great Belarus forward ever playing in the league so as bad as it may sound I’d rather take a pass lol especially 2nd round , don’t think I’ve seen this kid around in rankings , rather take a chance on a keppen but I think we can get him with the 65th,possibly 97 but would be risky

Adam Beckman at eliteprospects.com

He might be worth a shot as well , turns 18 in a few days

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Teams don't just trade up for the sake of trading up. They only do it, if a guy on their list is falling into their pick range and they don't want to miss out. Unfortunately we have no idea what any teams list of players is, as I am sure there are names we wouldn't even think of being decently high up on many lists. To me, once you get in to that 16-24 range, I don't think there is a massive difference in the player you will get, and the cost of trading up is usually higher than would seemingly make any sense.
Yes I’m well aware they only make moves on the day of the draft and if there’s a guy they like available of they think someone they like might get picked before the pick comes to them , I’m just having asking for fun what the cost might look like not expecting them to call Dallas today and say hey 35 and 60 for 18 let’s go

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes I’m well aware they only make moves on the day of the draft and if there’s a guy they like available of they think someone they like might get picked before the pick comes to them , I’m just having asking for fun what the cost might look like not expecting them to call Dallas today and say hey 35 and 60 for 18 let’s go

Seems like earlier picks in the early to mid 2nd, cost about a 3rd rounder and sometimes another small+ just for 2-5 spots. Later on rounds, don't seem to cost all that much at all. Of course if teams are in on the same group of players, the price jumps up.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Seems like earlier picks in the early to mid 2nd, cost about a 3rd rounder and sometimes another small+ just for 2-5 spots. Later on rounds, don't seem to cost all that much at all. Of course if teams are in on the same group of players, the price jumps up.
Ya that’s what I was thinking 65th pick though is basically a late second, depending how the draft goes if we can trade back and land a 2nd I wouldn’t be opposed to it, hopefully we can somehow eat half of Daley’s contract and move him to a cap crunch team and land a 3rd and package it to move up

Really high on beecher,bjornfot,fagemo And been seeing a lot of draft rankings of them going higher than previously

I just have a feeling we might move up(caps and stars are prime targets)

Canes also have 28,36,37 I don’t know what it would cost to get 36 or 37 but I’m sure when draft day comes teams will look to trade with the canes for a pick

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ya that’s what I was thinking 65th pick though is basically a late second, depending how the draft goes if we can trade back and land a 2nd I wouldn’t be opposed to it, hopefully we can somehow eat half of Daley’s contract and move him to a cap crunch team and land a 3rd and package it to move up

Really high on beecher,bjornfot,fagemo And been seeing a lot of draft rankings of them going higher than previously

I just have a feeling we might move up(caps and stars are prime targets)

Canes also have 28,36,37 I don’t know what it would cost to get 36 or 37 but I’m sure when draft day comes teams will look to trade with the canes for a pick

I think we can move Daley without eating any money. He isn't great, but he is still a serviceable depth guy, that I think we could get a 5th or 6th for,without retention, as he only has 1 more year left. Maybe move Evgeny to Carolina along with one of our 3rds for 36 or 37.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
What’s his playoff stats?cause his regular season stats aren’t mind blowing and I can’t recall a great Belarus forward ever playing in the league so as bad as it may sound I’d rather take a pass lol especially 2nd round , don’t think I’ve seen this kid around in rankings , rather take a chance on a keppen but I think we can get him with the 65th,possibly 97 but would be risky

Adam Beckman at eliteprospects.com

He might be worth a shot as well , turns 18 in a few days
Protas matched his regular season goal total of 11 in 18 playoff games.

It seems he was splitting time playing wing, and being buried at C on the leagues top regular season team. In playoffs he's been exclusively on the wing I think with Leason.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I think we can move Daley without eating any money. He isn't great, but he is still a serviceable depth guy, that I think we could get a 5th or 6th for,without retention, as he only has 1 more year left. Maybe move Evgeny to Carolina along with one of our 3rds for 36 or 37.
Ummm I think the teams that would want Daley would be like Tampa or Toronto who have cap problems, Im sure in the end we’ll likely get a 5th for him but if we can eat salary and move up a few rounds I’d do it

I was thinking Svechnikov to Carolina as well to reunite the brothers and we have a ton of kids coming but I’d try and do it without the 65th if possible as there would still be a few guys like keppen or the Swedish goalie alnefet we can get with that pick, still think he has some upside he’s just been unlucky with injuries so I’d have no Problem keeping him, if he shows up and can get 20+ think we’d be able to get more than a 36-37th pick if we decided to move him in 2-3 years

It’ll be an interesting draft weekend that’s for sure , not expecting anything July 1

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1. NJD - Hughes, C
2. NYR - Kakko, RW
3. CHI - Byram, LD
4. COL - Cozens, C/RW
5. LAK - Turcotte, C
6. DET - Dach, C
7. BUF - Krebs, C
8. EDM - Zegras, C/LW
9. ANA - Boldy, LW
10. VAN - Podkolzin, RW
11. PHI - Caufield, RW
12. MIN - Newhook, C
13. FLO - Söderström, RD
14. ARI - (...Kaliyev/Broberg/Brink... still running...)

Current HF Boards Mock Draft team-voting.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bored and watching mock drafts on YouTube. After 7 videos we've landed Turcotte 3 times, Cozens 2 times and Byram and Krebs once each. The guy that had us selecting Byram was a wishful Wings fan. One guy had Rangers taking Byram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad