Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The strategy I hope to see:

Top 5 go for a center
2nd first (for Nyquist): BPA on defense or center.
2nd-5th: Go hard defense
5th/6th/7th: Get a couple goalies.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
2nd round targets
Nick Robertson F
Robert Mastrosimone F
Lassi Thomson D
Kaedan Korczak D

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The strategy I hope to see:

Top 5 go for a center
2nd first (for Nyquist): BPA on defense or center.
2nd-5th: Go hard defense
5th/6th/7th: Get a couple goalies.
If we get a 1st for Nyquist & pick a C, then I'd probably grab one more C with the 4th or 5th..but agree on going after at least 3-4 Dmen this draft rounds 2-5, Goalies are too unpredictable, I'd rather just sign a decent one, or trade for a upcoming prospect. Gianni Smith picked 2 spots before Carter Hart 13-6 now, & 1 before Girard on D. Ouch.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If we get a 1st for Nyquist & pick a C, then I'd probably grab one more C with the 4th or 5th..but agree on going after at least 3-4 Dmen this draft rounds 2-5, Goalies are too unpredictable, I'd rather just sign a decent one, or trade for a upcoming prospect. Gianni Smith picked 2 spots before Carter Hart 12-6 now, & 1 before Girard on D. Ouch.

I think after round 4, every position is unpredictable. Might as well try to fill the gap in the farm and hope someone emerges.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I know they are unpredictable, but if we stockpile enough picks in the first two rounds I wouldn’t mind going after Spencer Knight at some point this year. We could really use a hit on a high end goalie considering they take a few years to mature and develop to NHL ready, this would fall into the timeline pretty well.

Again, would have to stockpile a good number of picks before I would do it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I know they are unpredictable, but if we stockpile enough picks in the first two rounds I wouldn’t mind going after Spencer Knight at some point this year. We could really use a hit on a high end goalie considering they take a few years to mature and develop to NHL ready, this would fall into the timeline pretty well.

Again, would have to stockpile a good number of picks before I would do it.
I'm sure a lot of teams think he's worth a gamble in the 20-31 range, which means he likely goes higher than expected.

AJD7

Feb 13, 2019
As it stands right now, what does everyone’s draft board look like? Obviously Hughes and Kakko are 1/2, but how do you guys rank Cozens/Dach/Podkolzin/Byram/Turcotte/Boldy/Zegras?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
After watching more Kirby Dach, I'm just not so sold. In the games I've seen, he's had near-zero intensity. He's almost never moving his feet, and he's not fast enough to beat defensemen with his skating, anyway. I can't even imagine him playing in an NHL playoff game. He could get better at those things, but it makes him pretty darn raw, IMO.

He does have high end playmaking ability, but I have real questions about where he's going to get the time and space to use it. And to boot, it's not like he's killing it in the WHL this year. He plays on a very strong team, but has been very inconsistent and not at all the big time factor you'd expect a top 5 guy to be, night in and night out.

Just like with Podkolzin, he's a good player and prospect... but if I've got pick 4/5, I'm a little hesitant to take him. He's riskier than I would like, and on top of that this team doesn't need two Manthas.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
After watching more Kirby Dach, I'm just not so sold. In the games I've seen, he's had near-zero intensity. He's almost never moving his feet, and he's not fast enough to beat defensemen with his skating, anyway. I can't even imagine him playing in an NHL playoff game. He could get better at those things, but it makes him pretty darn raw, IMO.

He does have high end playmaking ability, but I have real questions about where he's going to get the time and space to use it. And to boot, it's not like he's killing it in the WHL this year. He plays on a very strong team, but has been very inconsistent and not at all the big time factor you'd expect a top 5 guy to be, night in and night out.

Just like with Podkolzin, he's a good player and prospect... but if I've got pick 4/5, I'm a little hesitant to take him. He's riskier than I would like, and on top of that this team doesn't need two Manthas.

I watched him twice this year and one game he seemed like he had intensity and the other one he was exactly how you describe. I've had Cozens ahead of him just for that reason. Imagine if Cozens and Larkin were the top 2 centers with motors that never stop. It would have a trickle down effect on the team I think.

And like you said about playoffs, Dach kinda reminds me of Thronton in that way. He never really played well when the pace of the game picked up compared to the regular season. The lack of intensity was a big cause of that I think. Even a guy like Getzlaf plays a simmilar style of play maker game, but when you watch him you can tell the difference between his intensity and a guy like Thornton. I think Dach is a lot more Thornton than he is Getzlaf intensity wise

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The Wings seem increasingly serious about drafting a goalie. For example, they selected a goalie at the draft every year for the past six years, whereas for a while, they had only been selecting one every two or three years. Last year, they even selected two goalies. All seven goalies they've selected over the past six years have been taken in rounds 3 through 6.

They have multiple 2019 2nd-round picks already and might gain another 2nd-round, if not another 1st-round, pick at the trade deadline. Therefore, I might use a 2nd-round pick to select a goalie at the draft depending on which prospects are available.

There are always goalies taken in the 2nd round, and I don't see anything wrong with picking a goalie there if you have multiple second-round picks and you like your chances of getting a good goalie. I probably wouldn't use my best 2nd-round pick on a goalie, but I think using a later 2nd-round pick could be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As it stands right now, what does everyone’s draft board look like? Obviously Hughes and Kakko are 1/2, but how do you guys rank Cozens/Dach/Podkolzin/Byram/Turcotte/Boldy/Zegras?

As someone mentioned, I am also not sold on Dach. Something just feels like it's missing from his game.

I like Podkolzin as a prospect, but for me he's probably around #5. Additionally, this year feels like the high end D prospects are significantly less plentiful than last year, or at least less impressive. Will wait to see the late season surge that we saw with players like Dobson and Bouchard.

For me #3 and 4 is a toss up between Cozens and Turcotte at the moment, but will be ramping up my attention to all things draft related now. Turcotte specifically seems like he would be a standard Red Wings selection based on the past few years, especially if they find themselves in the 3-6 range again this year.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram
Krebs
Dach
Boldy
Zegras
Pretty good. I hope Podkolzin is the 3rd pick if we're going to be 5/6/7. I'm really hoping for Byram if we don't get a top 2 pick and maybe Lafreniere/Byfield next year if we're lucky. The thing I don't want to ignore is Byram keeping pace with the other top WHL prospects in the G column. It's a plus for him but makes me question the others ceilings as well. I can't predict the future but I think I'd take my chances on the D.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
The Wings seem increasingly serious about drafting a goalie. For example, they selected a goalie at the draft every year for the past six years, whereas for a while, they had only been selecting one every two or three years. Last year, they even selected two goalies. All seven goalies they've selected over the past six years have been taken in rounds 3 through 6.
every team should take at least one goalie in every draft, its crazy not too. goalies are such crapshoots.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

1- Hughes
2- Kakko
3- Cozens
4- Dach
5- Turcotte
6- Krebs
7- Zegras
8- Byram
9- Podkolzin
10- Boldy
11- York
12- Pelletier
13- Soderstrom
14- Knight
15- Suzuki

Reactions: mantha39

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If the Wings pick 4th through 6th in 2019, Hughes, Kakko, and Cozens may all very well be taken. If that's the case, then they would have to choose between Dach, drafting another winger who others passed on, or reaching slightly for Byram. Especially if they pick 5th or 6th and both Cozens and Dach are already taken, they might consider reaching for Byram.

I don't see a problem with sometimes reaching a little for a defender if the next best alternative is just drafting yet another RW who you aren't even particularly on fire for. The reason why is that if drafting BPA keeps meaning that you have drafted RW-after-RW, round-after-round, draft-after-draft, eventually you will want to trade an excess winger for a defender, and when you do that, you will very likely be trading down for that defender since defenders tend to have more value.

So, the choice can be occasionally reaching a little at the draft for a defender, or eventually trading down for a defender who you should have reached for, anyway.

Notice that this may also mean that teams who are good at drafting D ultimately get better trades if/when they have D who they want to trade away: If you draft a D who you want to trade, you may even be able to trade up with him for that very same forward who you passed on, if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric Eric

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Dach
5. Cozens
6. Podkolzin
7. Turcotte
8. Broberg
That's as far as I go.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
If they draft at #5 or #6... would rather reach for Byrum. They need more younger defense that'll push the likes of Daley, DeKeyser and especially Ericsson. Byrum, Hronek and Cholowski would be a great future top 3!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't find him too risky, and he certainly is not another Mantha. Kaliyev would be more comparable to Mantha which is why he is ranked closer to where Mantha was taken.

I saw your earlier post on Krebs, and I have been saying that for a little while. But the important thing to remember here is it's not just about who is the best Juniors player, it is also about how they project to the next level. What Krebs has done in Juniors is more impressive IMO, but I am not sure his game translates as well as Dach will ulimately. Those two are very close for me though. I do like both a lot and would gladly take either.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I’d pass on Byram in the top 6 or 7 as of right now.
This might seem like a strange question, but how did you feel about Dubois? I thought it was a big reach at the time, and I happened to be quite surprised with the season he's having for Columbus here. At the same time, Sergachev and McAvoy probably should have gone higher. I don't know what this means in 2019, I am just so unconvinced about any of the centers and desperately looking for perspective :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad