Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it would be nearly impossible, don’t you? There’s no “physical specimen” that is hanging around the top 10 this year like Ras was. I think the league has shifted enough that the smaller, high skill guys are getting their time in the spotlight.

The whole thing was a bungle in my book. What we did in rounds 2-7... did not like it.

They went with a particular strategy and theme with the whole thing, and I think it was a bad one and a mistake.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it would be nearly impossible, don’t you? There’s no “physical specimen” that is hanging around the top 10 this year like Ras was. I think the league has shifted enough that the smaller, high skill guys are getting their time in the spotlight.

I think @Frk It might classify Broberg as this kind of pick. I don't want to put words in for him, but there are physically advanced players just like in every draft.He would be your physically impressive guy that has some skill questions out on him.

I think what is often lost is they picked Rasmussen for his potential, they liked his upside more than what was on the board. We look it as a low value safe pick, they see a 6'6" guy with a good stride that could be weaponized to an even larger degree in a small league. I mean do you think Torey Krug or Quinn Hughes are moving Rasmussen away from the net?

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Since Tyler Wright joined, has any player drafted after Detroit's 1st pick in say top 12 turn out better? Example: People were mad about Wings passing Vilardi/Neca, but Rasmussen is proving to be the better choice looking back. Would everyone here agree Cholo/Hronek > Chychrun?

I have a feeling this draft will be the same. KH announces 1st pick at the podium and Red Wings armchair scouts have a meltdown, and in 5 years we see they made, yet, another right choice.

For the record, I like Byram. But if they pick player "X" I will automatically think they found something wrong with Byram, and found everything right with player "X".

i'd take Necas right now over 5 Rasmussens

....touch of hyperbole there but I would quite literally take him over two

also there's always exceptions to anything but generally people were fine with the Zadina pick last year,looking at the names in the Wings draft range this year I feel like people will mostly be fine with the pick this year too unless the Wings go off the board and take Broberg over Byram or something like that

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While it is too early to pass judgment, the 2017 draft from Detroit is looking brutal so far outside Ras and Lindstrom. Setkov looks to be maybe the only other player who will be offered a contract.

On the other hand, the 2017 draft as a whole looks pretty weak so its hard to be too mad.

I agree it is shaping up to be a weak draft. That might be the reason for going after work ethics and character guys is because they knew the talent wasn't there and was hoping someone with work ethics could/would overcome.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i'd take Necas right now over 5 Rasmussens

....touch of hyperbole there but I would quite literally take him over two

Necas basically just had the same year Zadina did in terms of development while being a whole year older. I mean I wanted Necas there, I picked him in our MOD draft for the Wings and I loved the right-handed element in terms of big picture. Still I can see why they like Rasmussen, he has some areas to refine in his game, but I want to see what kind of strength and development he takes for a couple years before I make grand statements like this one. His ceiling is pretty high. Granted he only got 7 games but keep in mind Rasmussen averaged more points per game in the NHL season than Necas did. That argument isn't a closed book actually it is still pretty tight in terms of performance.

I feel like the Wings should have loaned Rasmussen to Team Canada at the World Juniors and people wouldn't be talking like this. Oh well, but I think if he just shows up there and you see him against his actual peer age group you would be surprised how good he looks, that is what the Summer Showcase looked like for instance where he was easily one of Canada's best players. The NHL is a tough league, lets give him a few off-seasons and seasons before we bury the guy.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think @Frk It might classify Broberg as this kind of pick. I don't want to put words in for him, but there are physically advanced players just like in every draft.He would be your physically impressive guy that has some skill questions out on him.

I think what is often lost is they picked Rasmussen for his potential, they liked his upside more than what was on the board. We look it as a low value safe pick, they see a 6'6" guy with a good stride that could be weaponized to an even larger degree in a small league. I mean do you think Torey Krug or Quinn Hughes are moving Rasmussen away from the net?

I think that’s where he was taking it as well. Obviously there’s a grander plan for Ras that we will likely never be priveldged to know, and we all hope that it comes to fruition. He just needs to have more to his game than net front game to achieve a greater level. Even if he can’t be moved in front of the net, there are ways to mitigate his offensive impact if he’s one dimensional.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don’t want to reverse jinx it, but I just really don’t see us doing this.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
When people start showing me all of the these ultra-skilled, high-end players that we passed on in the mid-to-late rounds of the 2017 draft, I will join everyone's collective rage. I don't think we are getting much out of that draft past the first round, but I am not sure anyone else is either.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When people start showing me all of the these ultra-skilled, high-end players that we passed on in the mid-to-late rounds of the 2017 draft, I will join everyone's collective rage. I don't think we are getting much out of that draft past the first round, but I am not sure anyone else is either.
2017 and 2019 kind of the same ,other than Pettersson , nobody very promising .

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Can anyone weigh in on Dach? The comparison I most frequently see is Getzlaf, but I haven't really seen him outside of highlights. Though I don't recall seeing much of this from Getzlaf:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Can anyone weigh in on Dach? The comparison I most frequently see is Getzlaf, but I haven't really seen him outside of highlights. Though I don't recall seeing much of this from Getzlaf:

Idk about a comparison, but he has elite vision and puck skills, a very good wrister, above average skating, and is responsible in his own zone. Falls victim to the floater label a lot of big guys have because they don't have to take as many strides to get to where they need to be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Heponiemi, Texier, Comtois, Barratt, Lodnia, Bemstrom, Batherson, I could go on... Don't give me this crap, there are skilled players in every draft.

Look, the 2011 Draft with Jurco/Sproul/Ouellet was a flop but I could see what we were going for... taking Svechnikov in the 1st might not work out, but I could see what we were going for... We have missed before where at least I understood/agreed with the thought process.

This 2017 Draft? I don't approve of the strategy and I don't like what it yielded.

Front office reaction to the 2017 Draft - It's OK, we'll draft skilled guys next year.

Front office reaction to the 2018 Draft- We think we've turned the corner.

Give me more of the latter, please.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Need this lottery done so I can get watching these guys more. A guy I’m really torn on is dach, he was great one game I saw him and looked lazy in another. Like a better, center version of mantha almost. Byram I’m not sure is the doughty/hedman prospect that a lot of top d in the draft are usually but I think he can be a number one guy like a provorov or Reilly. I would be fine with either of them at 3 though. Add cozens and turcotte (who I haven’t really seen) their at third overall possibilities that I wouldn’t mind

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
My current top ten:

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Podkolzin
  6. Cozens
  7. Dach
  8. Krebs
  9. Boldy
  10. Zegras
#3 is a little controversial, but I think Byram's game is perfect for the Wings.
#4 is more controversial, but I think Turcotte could a 70-80 points/season guy in the NHL before too long...
#5 is maybe why the first two are controversial, but I don't see the point of gambling on Podkolzin earlier with so much other talent around.
#6 is only very slightly controversial. I just think it seems like Cozens has a great attitude.
#7 Some lists have Dach ahead of Cozens, I think they are pretty close in skill...
#8 is a guy who some lists have a little earlier, but #8 is pretty uncontroversial for Krebs.
#9 and #10 are guys who I don't think are in many people's top 7 (unlike Krebs who I list at #8). So, I don't expect the Wings to really be looking at these guys at this point (the day before the lottery). But, you never know!

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Weird hypothetical for fun.
Say we win the #1oa but trade out of the top 3. What's an example of a realistic trade you'd be happy with?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Idk about a comparison, but he has elite vision and puck skills, a very good wrister, above average skating, and is responsible in his own zone. Falls victim to the floater label a lot of big guys have because they don't have to take as many strides to get to where they need to be.

If his "floating" style is anything like Mantha, I'm not sure I like that for a potential top-6 center. Don't get me wrong, I love Mantha when he's on, but when he's off, it's very frustrating to watch.

Reactions: hkydave04

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
My current top ten:

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Podkolzin
  6. Cozens
  7. Dach
  8. Krebs
  9. Boldy
  10. Zegras
#3 is a little controversial, but I think Byram's game is perfect for the Wings.
#4 is more controversial, but I think Turcotte could a 70-80 points/season guy in the NHL before too long...
#5 is maybe why the first two are controversial, but I don't see the point of gambling on Podkolzin earlier with so much other talent around.
#6 is only very slightly controversial. I just think it seems like Cozens has a great attitude.
#7 Some lists have Dach ahead of Cozens, I think they are pretty close in skill...
#8 is a guy who some lists have a little earlier.
#9 and #10 are guys who I don't think are in many people's top 7 (unlike Krebs who I list at #8). So, I don't expect the Wings to really be looking at these guys at this point (the day before the lottery). But, you never know!

My current ranking is almost identical to yours from 1 to 8, but with Turcotte at #3 and Byram at #4. Thankfully the least the Wings can pick is #7, so surely one of those guys will be there, but if I had to rank them in tiers, I would do:

1- Hughes
2- Kakko
-------------
3- Turcotte
4- Byram
5- Podkolzin
-------------
6- Cozens
7- Dach
8- Krebs

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
My current ranking is almost identical to yours from 1 to 8, but with Turcotte at #3 and Byram at #4. Thankfully the least the Wings can pick is #7, so surely one of those guys will be there, but if I had to rank them in tiers, I would do:

1- Hughes
2- Kakko
-------------
3- Turcotte
4- Byram
5- Podkolzin
-------------
6- Cozens
7- Dach
8- Krebs
I guess the uncomfortable part about it is that the guy who we both would pass on at #3 or #4, is in the spot where the Wings will most likely draft, #5. Let's hope other teams don't pass on him.

Last edited:

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
We won’t find out until draft night. But the real question is what centers the wings like and where they slot in Byram and Podkolzin in that list.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Weird hypothetical for fun.
Say we win the #1oa but trade out of the top 3. What's an example of a realistic trade you'd be happy with?
All your pix are belong to us.

But seriously, the value associated with 1OA is huge to begin with, let alone after the hype that Hughes has received. To trade out of that slot - plus an excellent "silver medalist" in Kakko, plus the top 3 altogether? It would be such a high price that I don't think there's a team out there who would even consider paying it. Maybe something like:

<Team X> gets 1 overall

Detroit gets 4 overall, the 2nd+3rd+4th round picks of <Team X> in 2019, and the 1st round pick of <Team X> in both 2020 and 2021.

Not gonna happen.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Man Dach is getting underrated hard. Kid is dynamite. He’s like Getzlaf without the mean streak. Have him and Turcotte at 3/4, interchangeably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad