GDT: 2019 Draft Lottery - Ducks will pick 9th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
They pulled one of the best players in 2012 with the sixth overall. No one should be flipping out with the ninth overall. We have a top three amateur scouting department. We're good.

And looking at rankings, they reached for a guy who was a mid-1st rounder. Which is the whole point, I'm not even a Ryan Suzuki fan, but maybe they see something in him that I don't on the off-chance that they do select him at 9.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I mentioned this in the other thread, but any possibility they would consider using one of their other picks to try and move up? I wouldn’t think so but Madden has always talked in the past about evaluating the value of certain players and having trade up and trade down scenarios mapped out.

I suppose its always possible but seems super unlikely. Murrays never moved up in the first, only down, and I'm not sure if he's ever moved up in any round, really. We know they had Fowler ranked #3, also in a year with two firsts, and that wasn't enough(although theres also some things we don't know there). With all that it's really tough to imagine a scenario where they pay that kind of premium to move up.

Reactions: ADHB

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Back on topic, I'm actually thinking we might take someone like Raphael Lavoie. He seems like a Ducks draft pick -- an intelligent centerman with size who's dropped over the past year -- and he wouldn't be a massive reach; just a moderate one.

I think he might be the Ducks' 20th overall selection, or at least that's how a few mocks have him drafted around. Me, if Cozens isn't there, then I'm hoping for LHD Philip Broberg at 9th overall.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They pulled one of the best players in 2012 with the sixth overall. No one should be flipping out with the ninth overall. We have a top three amateur scouting department. We're good.
Nope to late team is being moved to quebec, had a nice run

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
man this hurts. I have faith in madden but Im really hoping that the player we grab is good at offense cause we are starving for gamebreaking talent

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I think he might be the Ducks' 20th overall selection, or at least that's how a few mocks have him drafted around. Me, if Cozens isn't there, then I'm hoping for LHD Philip Broberg at 9th overall.
I don't know if he'll fall that far, especially with the playoff run he's having so fart.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'll give you flat earth, but theres at least a logic to the moon landing one, even if it is dumb. Theres no logic to the idea that the NHL rigged the draft lottery so they could give Taylor Hall's team all the first overall picks.

They do show them coming out, just not live on the broadcast. And for good reason, it would be incredibly anti-climactic and overall boring. There's absolutely no reason to kowtow to the tinfoil hats, either.
Really? I think the current format is boring as boring gets. I’d much rather watch them do it live.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I mentioned this in the other thread, but any possibility they would consider using one of their other picks to try and move up? I wouldn’t think so but Madden has always talked in the past about evaluating the value of certain players and having trade up and trade down scenarios mapped out.

The org has traded up, but not in the first round. They'd rather accrue picks b/c the scouting staff does have a resume of hitting on lower round picks. Terry was a fifth rounder. D Manson was a sixth rounder, which we traded into the sixth round for b/c we didn't own one. Kase was a seventh rounder. The only trade down I can remember was in 2011 NHL draft b/c Ottawa selected Noesen before us and we traded down in the first round from 22nd overall for 30th overall (1st round) and 39th overall (2nd round). We found Rakell at 30th overall and Gibson at 39th overall.

What I don't comprehend is that some people think our scouting staff sucks so much that it must rely only on top-5 selections when the Ducks have found a great deal of talent outside the top-5. D Theodore, D Vatanen, D Montour, and D Pettersson were all traded away (although, we were forced by the NHL to get rid of Theodore).

The main reason the Ducks have stayed afloat is that the scouts are hitting on good prospects that make it to the NHL level rather than "hoping" to find a superstar savior in the top-5. Last time I checked, "Hope wasn't a strategy." I'm not too worried. The Ducks own two first rounders in this year's NHL draft, we flipped D Montour (a 2nd round pick) for lower 1st round pick AND a D prospect. Talk about building on the fly!

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Really? I think the current format is boring as boring gets. I’d much rather watch them do it live.

Considering how many people were nervous(myself included) pretty much right up to our card coming up, I think you might be in the minority. It'll never be as exciting as 2005 but theres little they can do about that without it getting too ridiculous, and this format is bad enough as it is IMO.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Considering how many people were nervous(myself included) pretty much right up to our card coming up, I think you might be in the minority. It'll never be as exciting as 2005 but theres little they can do about that without it getting too ridiculous, and this format is bad enough as it is IMO.
And then 3 minutes in who cared? Each team gets eliminated one by one this way, and then the only reason to watch is to see who else got screwed and who got lucky. The big break before the top 3 also lost my interest completely. I’d far rather just have the balls drop one by one, and have each team’s fans be invested right up through the end. Putting in filler about recent draft picks at that position would be way more interesting than watching some bored dude flip cards to me. YMMV.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Oh man, really? Damn!

Well yeah, although it might not be that simple. The balls get put in order to figure out the combinations, so with the winning one being 2-4-10-12, we were the only other team with 2-4-10 in that order(NJ had three such combos to our one). So it might not be as bad as we lost out on the last ball, have to see what order they came in.

I was a little quick on that, I think by that measure a lot of teams were 1 ball away.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The org has traded up, but not in the first round. They'd rather accrue picks b/c the scouting staff does have a resume of hitting on lower round picks. Terry was a fifth rounder. D Manson was a sixth rounder, which we traded into the sixth round for b/c we didn't own one. Kase was a seventh rounder. The only trade down I can remember was in 2011 NHL draft b/c Ottawa selected Noesen before us and we traded down in the first round from 22nd overall for 30th overall (1st round) and 39th overall (2nd round). We found Rakell at 30th overall and Gibson at 39th overall.

What I don't comprehend is that some people think our scouting staff sucks so much that it must rely only on top-5 selections when the Ducks have found a great deal of talent outside the top-5. D Theodore, D Vatanen, D Montour, and D Pettersson were all traded away (although, we were forced by the NHL to get rid of Theodore).

The main reason the Ducks have stayed afloat is that the scouts are hitting on good prospects that make it to the NHL level rather than "hoping" to find a superstar savior in the top-5. Last time I checked, "Hope wasn't a strategy." I'm not too worried. The Ducks own two first rounders in this year's NHL draft, we flipped D Montour (a 2nd round pick) for lower 1st round pick AND a D prospect. Talk about building on the fly!

I understand the concern. The way the organization is set up, they have everything *but* a truly elite franchise talent. Getzlaf isn't that guy anymore. Kase, Terry, Steel, Comtois, I love them all, but they aren't quite on the level of recent Cup winners' top guy: Crosby, Ovechkin or even Kane.

You *can* win it all without one of those guys, but it sure is easier with one, and it's awfully hard to get one without a top pick.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
And then 3 minutes in who cared? Each team gets eliminated one by one this way, and then the only reason to watch is to see who else got screwed and who got lucky. The big break before the top 3 also lost my interest completely. I’d far rather just have the balls drop one by one, and have each team’s fans be invested right up through the end. Putting in filler about recent draft picks at that position would be way more interesting than watching some bored dude flip cards to me. YMMV.

After watching one of the actual lotteries, I can't agree. It's over in a minute and impossible to follow. I'm also not sure they can drag it out for suspense, they draw a ball every 10 seconds and that might be protocol or something. There's a reason people still believe in these bad conspiracies even though there's actual evidence debunking it. No one's watching those videos.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
9th pick is garbage considering the year we just had
There is 9 great prospects (literally 9 unless you count Boldy) so it worked out, and everyone always reaches for one so we should have our choice between 2 guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad