GDT: 2019 Draft Lottery - Ducks will pick 9th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm not so sure on this. Terry or Steel, heck even Comtois can be one. We will see how they progress but some players might take some time. Look at the first pro seasons of Marchand, MacKinnon, Huberdeau or Blake Wheeler.

I think you're taking my quote out of context as it was in reference to a comparison of a Crosby or Ovechkin, instant all-stars the moment they step onto NHL ice. Right now, Terry, Steel, and Comtois are not that. I never said they couldn't be elite, but as of right now they're not at Crosby or Ovechkin status.

Also, you missed part of the point that I denoted five good players as opposed to one elite player. A team can game plan against one player, but a team would have a more difficult time game planning against five good players that are probably playing on at least three different lines. The best example of this is the 2018 Vegas Golden Knights. They boasted what's basically four lines of 2nd liners as there wasn't any "elite" player there to begin with as well as defense groupings. From that initial collection, Wild Bill finally came out of his NHL shell. That scenario could possibly play out with a Terry, Steel, Comtois, or Jones (more specifically Jones b/c he's been snake bitten).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is the problem with vague modifiers. They always get expanded until way too many guys are argued for them.

If we're going to stretch elite this far, let's go up a notch to "generational." *Most* cup winners have a guy who is that level. I'm talking about guys who have repeated top-5 hart trophy seasons whenever they're healthy. Not just "really good, top-20 in scoring."

That's not the *only* way to build a Cup winner, and we're probably going to have to go a different route, but I understand why people were excited about a very high pick trying to get a guy like that.

Would I have loved to win the NHL lottery of selecting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? Of course! I wouldn't not accept a gift of such magnitude! But if all the hopes relies on landing a top-3 pick, then there doesn't exist another pathway to become a playoff team? In the past several years, the Ducks have been re-building on the fly since GM Brian Burke left the org cap strapped and the cupboard empty on the farm team. In the past seven years, the Ducks have gone to the playoffs six consecutive times, winning the Pacific Division five consecutive times. Being a playoff team consistently means you're not a lottery team for those years you make the playoffs. Apparently, there is another way to build a Cup winner - we just had a head coach who found a way to lose the exact same way for four consecutive playoffs, up 3-2 and lose game 7 on home ice.

Some fans are missing this historical context and it's baffling to see this "doom and gloom" extreme about this year's draft, such that the Ducks should have tanked. We had one hiccup in seven years, with that hiccup being this year. Yet, we finished the season strong. After the 5-game skid when GM Bob took over as HC, the team finished 11-5-1. Some fans still cannot trust the Ducks' scouting staff to make good decisions after all these years to where the 2019 NHL draft is a waste for the Ducks' org.

I guess I like all the nuances involved and am very impressed after the situation GM Brian Burke left the state of the Ducks. I'm very impressed with the Ducks' scouting staff to continually find NHL players beyond the lottery selections. If it wasn't for the mandatory VGK entry draft due to expansion, then the Ducks would still have D Theodore. Theodore leads the VGK defense in goals and points at age 23. The Ducks selected Theodore 26th overall in the first round in 2013. Heck, when we did still have Theodore, the Ducks boasted an all-Ducks drafted defense in the playoffs. That alone should speak volumes at the work the scouting staff has done for the organization, but it falls on mostly deaf ears.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Would I have loved to win the NHL lottery of selecting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? Of course! I wouldn't not accept a gift of such magnitude! But if all the hopes relies on landing a top-3 pick, then there doesn't exist another pathway to become a playoff team? In the past several years, the Ducks have been re-building on the fly since GM Brian Burke left the org cap strapped and the cupboard empty on the farm team. In the past seven years, the Ducks have gone to the playoffs six consecutive times, winning the Pacific Division five consecutive times. Being a playoff team consistently means you're not a lottery team for those years you make the playoffs. Apparently, there is another way to build a Cup winner - we just had a head coach who found a way to lose the exact same way for four consecutive playoffs, up 3-2 and lose game 7 on home ice.

Some fans are missing this historical context and it's baffling to see this "doom and gloom" extreme about this year's draft, such that the Ducks should have tanked. We had one hiccup in seven years, with that hiccup being this year. Yet, we finished the season strong. After the 5-game skid when GM Bob took over as HC, the team finished 11-5-1. Some fans still cannot trust the Ducks' scouting staff to make good decisions after all these years to where the 2019 NHL draft is a waste for the Ducks' org.

I guess I like all the nuances involved and am very impressed after the situation GM Brian Burke left the state of the Ducks. I'm very impressed with the Ducks' scouting staff to continually find NHL players beyond the lottery selections. If it wasn't for the mandatory VGK entry draft due to expansion, then the Ducks would still have D Theodore. Theodore leads the VGK defense in goals and points at age 23. The Ducks selected Theodore 26th overall in the first round in 2013. Heck, when we did still have Theodore, the Ducks boasted an all-Ducks drafted defense in the playoffs. That alone should speak volumes at the work the scouting staff has done for the organization, but it falls on mostly deaf ears.

If you are so confident in the scouting staff finding gems at 10th OA and beyond, imagine what they could do with a top 3 pick.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Glancing around the boards of various teams tonight, almost every single one that was hoping on the draft lottery has posts about how "It's OK, there's no difference between X and Y, it's all about the same" where X is where they had been hoping to pick and Y is where they ended up.

Yeah, most around here seem perfectly okay with where we landed. I'm just pissed the Hawks won it.

Edit: and really at #3, the guy that the Hawks get will probably only be a little better than the guy we get at 9th.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
so they pick a guy who could have gone later in the draft in the top 3? so why do we need a top 3 pick for that?

Maybe the guy that fills a positional need for the Ducks but is slated to go 5th? Y'know, like they did with Hampus? The higher the draft pick, the better chance our scouts have to get the guy they want.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hampus wasn't picked for positional need. He was picked because they saw a potential top pairing D and wanted him badly. There were rumors the Wild were going to pick him with the pick right behind us.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
What matters is the rankings made by Anaheim's amateur scouts. What the media felt the rankings should be doesn't matter, nor does the published consensus of the scouts.

That's correct. All I'm saying is that if Anaheim had the third pick for example they could get the exact guy they want whether he's the consensus 3rd or a guy flying under everyone's radar.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There was absolutely higher ranked players available when we picked Hammer. They targeted a lower ranked defensive D-man in Hampus.
Given that they have stated their BPA philosophy before I'm going to believe there wasn't anybody rated higher on their list. Just because there are boatloads of lists with different rankings doesn't mean anything to each individual team's rankings. This wasn't like the Rangers with McIlrath.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Given that they have stated their BPA philosophy before I'm going to believe there wasn't anybody rated higher on their list. Just because there are boatloads of lists with different rankings doesn't mean anything to each individual team's rankings. This wasn't like the Rangers with McIlrath.

That's true. Just remember that the Ducks list will have positional need worked into who their perceived BPA is.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
McIlrath and Campbell are some of the biggest laughs that I've had at the draft in the last few years. Tyler Biggs is up there, too.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I doubt they see enough separation from where we are to pay the price required just to move up 2 or 3 spots. Three picks in the top 39 can be huge if we hit on all 3. The more high picks you have the better your odds of hitting one big.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
McIlrath and Campbell are some of the biggest laughs that I've had at the draft in the last few years. Tyler Biggs is up there, too.
I feel bad for the Rangers but it made me laugh when they drafted McIlrath with Fowler still on the board. The reaction i remember is people thought McIlrath's potential was that of a enforcer at the D position. Now adays no team would pick a draft prospect like McIlrath over a draft prospect like Fowler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad