2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Hughes will be very good, but it is fair to wonder how good he will be right away making the jump from the NTDP to the NHL, I don't think anyone has ever done that in the history of the program.

He was in a bit of a tough spot, he couldn't accelerate his education enough to enroll at Michigan this fall and I don't think they wanted him to move to Europe like Matthews did. Not sure why OHL wasn't in the mix, but it will be quite the jump for him next year if he's in the NHL.

Fine by me, Hughes and Lafreniere sounds like a good reset!

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
On that token, I also am wary of getting too hyped about potential draft picks, as I do not have a lot of confidence in the organization's ability to develop them into reliable top 6 forwards.

There's a reason why Tampa gets a lot of hits with their forwards. It's not just because they have the only good scouts and they are the only ones picking good players. They also seemingly have a great team to work with and bring the best out of the players to match the system they want to play. I question Blake's vision and the staff's capability to work under the confines of whatever vision exists.

Forget just forwards. For all the drafting since 2006, they have Martinez and Voynov as success stories on defense. In goal, it's Bernier. That's it. Jones was a free agent. Quick was pre-Lombardi.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Forget just forwards. For all the drafting since 2006, they have Martinez and Voynov as success stories on defense. In goal, it's Bernier. That's it. Jones was a free agent. Quick was pre-Lombardi.

They still had to scout Jones as a junior to sign him.

Plus they've had success stories with Budaj, Scrivens, and possibly with Campbell.

Bottom line is, goalies are better here than outside the organization. Ranford and Imoo have had very good results based off the number of goalies they had to work with.

The skaters need serious work

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
There's a reason why Tampa gets a lot of hits with their forwards. It's not just because they have the only good scouts and they are the only ones picking good players. They also seemingly have a great team to work with and bring the best out of the players to match the system they want to play. I question Blake's vision and the staff's capability to work under the confines of whatever vision exists.

I'm not gonna say Blake has a vision or not, but where the hell did his dreamy eyed notion of Tampa as draft gods come from?

Since 2006 because I like to be Random

2006 - Riku Helenius, you know who they passed on? Claude Giroux
2007 - Passed on Alex Killorn twice before taking him, but also passed on Wayne Simmonds
2008 - Stamkos, well...duh, kinda like LA, Doughty...well, duh...
2009 - Hedman, 2nd OA well..duh...but passed on Ryan OReilly and took Carter Ashton instead
2010 - Brett Connolly instead of Jeff Skinner, Cam Fowler, Vlad Tarasenko,
2011 - Namenstinkov instead of Rickard Rakell
2012 - Slater Koeekek instead of Forsberg, Hertl
2013 - Drouin - I actually like that picked, and they turned him into Sergachev,
2014 - Tony DeAngelo instead of Pastarnak
2015 - Mitchell Stephens instead of Aho
2016 - Libor Hajek instead of Debrincat

I can go on and on, every team is like this, EVEN LA......

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think the Kings goalie pipeline success was tied to the defensive system more than prospect identification. So if the system is broken or changing, then the goalies will have to adjust at all levels.

Peterson does provide good hope and Quick projects to be a good backup option if he can’t be moved and Peterson succeeds.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Just for reference sake,

Tampa
2006 - 2014
Total players to play at least, 100 games

LA
2006 - 2014

Now LA might not have the same vision, or even the same staff....but can we put to bed that Tampa's drafting is that much better?

Reactions: YP44 and DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just for reference sake,

Tampa
2006 - 2014

LA
2006 - 2014

Now LA might not have the same vision, or even the same staff....but can we put to bed that Tampa's drafting is that much better?

The biggest thing Tampa Bay has benefited from IMO is a Tax Structure that has allowed them to re-sign players less than other markets, allowing them to spend more on depth players.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Just for reference sake,

Tampa
2006 - 2014

LA
2006 - 2014

No. Just no. You really have to realize that just because a guy plays a 100 games on one team, may not even make a team on another?

I'd even venture to say whoever had a good amount of higher draft picks that play that many games are the crappier teams as they have more room for lesser players.

Edit. I dont have time right now to do the homework , but it would be interesting to compare the list of players. Of the 23 kings players, how many were bottom nine/bottom pairing guys?

I'm not saying Tampa is all that better, just the numbers you are trying to use dont tell the story.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No. Just no. You really have to realize that just because a guy plays a 100 games on one team, may not even make a team on another?

I'd even venture to say whoever had a good amount of higher draft picks that play that many games are the crappier teams as they have more room for lesser players.

Edit. I dont have time right now to do the homework , but it would be interesting to compare the list of players. Of the 23 kings players, how many were bottom nine/bottom pairing guys?

I'm not saying Tampa is all that better, just the numbers you are trying to use dont tell the story.

No, that's just NHL games, not games on one team, thats NHL games.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The biggest thing Tampa Bay has benefited from IMO is a Tax Structure that has allowed them to re-sign players less than other markets, allowing them to spend more on depth players.

Possibly, but can you really say Kucherov gave them a discount?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Possibly, but can you really say Kucherov gave them a discount?

Maybe he would have commanded over $10M elsewhere. His is a little different because Kucherov gave Tampa a bridge deal that allowed them to keep their team together during that deal. Starting next year he will be rewarded. I fully believe that his next contract was already laid out when he signed the bridge deal.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just for reference sake,

Tampa
2006 - 2014

LA
2006 - 2014

I don't know why you are referencing drafting when I've talked about development.

And I don't know why you're going as far back as 2006 when the Kings have suffered most from a failure to develop reliable skaters starting in 2010, the age group where the next wave of players were expected to be part of the core.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't know why you are referencing drafting when I've talked about development.

And I don't know why you're going as far back as 2006 when the Kings have suffered most from a failure to develop reliable skaters starting in 2010, the age group where the next wave of players were expected to be part of the core.

2006 was the start of the Kings scouting department, before that, don't ask.

2010 tampa players to have played 100 games, (which you know, takes drafting AND development)

10 players (Connolly, Gudas, Palat, Nesterov, Kucherov, Namestenkov, Paquette, Vasilevsky, Drouin and Point)

2010 LA players to have played 100 games

8 players (Weal, Toffoli, Forbort, Andreoff, Shore, Miller, Pearson, and Kempe)

So they are on par with Tampa, with the exception of Tampa had a 6th OA, a 10th OA, a 3rd OA, LA had highest pick was 15th OA and only had 3 1st round picks total in those years

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
2006 was the start of the Kings scouting department, before that, don't ask.

2010 tampa players to have played 100 games, (which you know, takes drafting AND development)

10 players (Connolly, Gudas, Palat, Nesterov, Kucherov, Namestenkov, Paquette, Vasilevsky, Drouin and Point)

2010 LA players to have played 100 games

8 players (Weal, Toffoli, Forbort, Andreoff, Shore, Miller, Pearson, and Kempe)

So they are on par with Tampa, with the exception of Tampa had a 6th OA, a 10th OA, a 3rd OA, LA had highest pick was 15th OA and only had 3 1st round picks total in those years

Good analysis. The bold/underlined are key.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Using 100 games as a barometer for drafting well is scraping at the bottom of the barrel. I guess if you want to ignore quality and brag about drafting the likes of Weal and Shore and Andreoff, who are all no longer with the team, then go ahead and celebrate. The Kings have clearly benefitted from their terrific quality of draft selections since 2010.

And Tampa Bay has found a number of talented top six forwards beyond the first round. There is nothing for the Kings to boast (yet) from their draft selections for a good number of years, unless you set the bar really low.

John Slaney appeared in over 250 games and was a former 9th overall selection. Does that make him a good pick?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Using 100 games as a barometer for drafting well is scraping at the bottom of the barrel. I guess if you want to ignore quality and brag about drafting the likes of Weal and Shore and Andreoff, who are all no longer with the team, then go ahead and celebrate. The Kings have clearly benefitted from their terrific quality of draft selections since 2010.

And Tampa Bay has found a number of talented top six forwards beyond the first round. There is nothing for the Kings to boast (yet) from their draft selections for a good number of years, unless you set the bar really low.

John Slaney appeared in over 250 games and was a former 9th overall selection. Does that make him a good pick?

At 100 games you've played at least one nhl season when the goal is two players per draft, it's a good barometer for quick analysis

Winger23

May 3, 2007
At 100 games you've played at least one nhl season when the goal is two players per draft, it's a good barometer for quick analysis

Except the only important picks are those that you cant really acquire without severe overpayment. Guys like shore, andreoff, king, nolan...all guys that are a dime a dozen. Imo drafting quality top 6 or top 4 dmen is way better than just saying 2 guys played more than a season...

Again I dont think it's a good metric to use.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad