2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, pretty impressive highlights with Dach, and he isn't a midget.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Stocking up on 1sts is a good idea and all, but only if you're going for a full rebuild. We don't have the luxury of doing that. We don't have the time to go for a full rebuild as our vets are just getting older, ie. Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick. With that said, we should be looking to sell a little bit of the farm for other teams' grade A prospects, ready to go NHL prospects. I think we should go for more of a retool.

I get that it looks tempting to land players like Hughes in the draft, but what if Hughes is still 3-4 years from his full NHL potential? That's 3 to 4 years wasted. We should be looking to land a couple prime forwards from other teams' farm systems. That's just my take.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Stocking up on 1sts is a good idea and all, but only if you're going for a full rebuild. We don't have the luxury of doing that. We don't have the time to go for a full rebuild as our vets are just getting older, ie. Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick. With that said, we should be looking to sell a little bit of the farm for other teams' grade A prospects, ready to go NHL prospects. I think we should go for more of a retool.

I get that it looks tempting to land players like Hughes in the draft, but what if Hughes is still 3-4 years from his full NHL potential? That's 3 to 4 years wasted. We should be looking to land a couple prime forwards from other teams' farm systems. That's just my take.

I think it will be a combination of both. The Kings have 3 forwards that may be ready next year to make an impact: Vilardi, Kupari, and JAD. If they draft Hughes or Kakko or Dach, or even Cozens,
any of them may play in the NHL next year too. I think there's almost no way the Kings will be sniffing the playoffs and the trade deadline is Feb 26. Consider that some GMs were calling Blake
(was the word) the first 2 weeks of the season, about Quick. Yes, his contract can be moved. Yes, certain GMs know that Quick could be the difference of said team having a shot at a Cup.
Maybe the Kings retain some, or get some salary back, as in a decent roster player and a pick / prospect. They will probably want LA to take a goalie back, but not needed with Campbell and Petersen ready...but maybe they do take a goalie back (that has an expiring contract) to make it work.

I also think deadline deals would involve Carter, Hagelin and 1 of Muzzin / Martinez...if Voynov gets cleared any time soon, he will probably get dealt too. So the Kings will have home grown draftees
ready and be getting prospects and picks, I would think. We will know if Vilardi can play in the NHL within weeks and that will be good to know and may dictate moves, if he can play
and play well. Voynov is kind of a wild card and GMs would want a top 4 RD, 28 yr old and with 2 Cup rings. Perhaps they can package someone with Voynov to get a good player under
27. (no more 30+ yr olds)

If the Kings are not making the playoffs - Quick, Carter + 1 Dman gets traded before or at deadline and Voynov as well. These 4 will bring some good assets and free up some cap. Oh, and Hagelin. All 5 of those will not necessarily be on Feb 26...but some deals happen earlier.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'll comment on a few players I have watched and read about. These players are ranked relative to each other; this is NOT my top 10 of all the prospects. Just ones I've seen more of and have a better idea of what I feel about them. So while I have Caufield listed at 10, I don't think he's the 10th best prospect. He's just 10th ranked based off of whom I would want the Kings to draft based on these players. Hopefully I've made that clear.

But with how bad things are going with the Kings, I think this is the only topic related to the Kings we can have fun discussing at the moment.

Jack Hughes - Such an electric playmaker. He drives the play and has a lot of deception to his game. I definitely see the Kane comparisons. His biggest weakness is his shot.
Kirby Dach - There is a healthy combination of almost everything to make him an appealing player. Like Vilardi, he has a lot of size and skill, but his skating may be his biggest question mark.
Kaapo Kakko - He would epitomize Kings hockey from a couple years ago. His strongest skill is his puck possession capability; he uses both his puck handling skills and size to keep the puck from the opposition.
Dylan Cozens - He does it all; two way player with size, skating, and an edge. He may not have as high a ceiling as the others, he has a higher floor.
Vasili Podkolzin - He plays a lot like how we hoped Dustin Brown would; strong north-south game with a drive to the net.
Arthur Kaliyev - I really like watching him play. He is so crafty and sneaky, and he just seems to see opportunities in ways you don't think other players do.
Alex Turcotte - Less explosive and less physical than anyone else mentioned so far, but he still puts up good numbers and passes the eye test as a potential NHLer.
Travis Zegras - He gets a lot of skillset comparisons to Hughes, and he has the numbers to match. The biggest issue is his play away from the puck and on the back check is considerably weaker.
Bobby Brink - Slightly undersized at 5'10, but plays 2 weight classes above him, and is a strong playmaker. The best comparison I can make is Mike Richards as far as style of play and role.
Cole Caufield - Smaller sniper who doesn't drive the net. I get a lot of a Mike Cammalleri vibe to him; that doesn't make him a bad player, but I think he would be a good grab in the 2nd round. I think he goes before that.

I'll add to this/make a new post as I watch more and feel better forming an opinion on some other players.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll comment on a few players I have watched and read about. These players are ranked relative to each other; this is NOT my top 10 of all the prospects. Just ones I've seen more of and have a better idea of what I feel about them. So while I have Caufield listed at 10, I don't think he's the 10th best prospect. He's just 10th ranked based off of whom I would want the Kings to draft based on these players. Hopefully I've made that clear.

But with how bad things are going with the Kings, I think this is the only topic related to the Kings we can have fun discussing at the moment.

Jack Hughes - Such an electric playmaker. He drives the play and has a lot of deception to his game. I definitely see the Kane comparisons. His biggest weakness is his shot.
Kirby Dach - There is a healthy combination of almost everything to make him an appealing player. Like Vilardi, he has a lot of size and skill, but his skating may be his biggest question mark.
Kaapo Kakko - He would epitomize Kings hockey from a couple years ago. His strongest skill is his puck possession capability; he uses both his puck handling skills and size to keep the puck from the opposition.
Dylan Cozens - He does it all; two way player with size, skating, and an edge. He may not have as high a ceiling as the others, he has a higher floor.
Vasili Podkolzin - He plays a lot like how we hoped Dustin Brown would; strong north-south game with a drive to the net.
Arthur Kaliyev - I really like watching him play. He is so crafty and sneaky, and he just seems to see opportunities in ways you don't think other players do.
Alex Turcotte - Less explosive and less physical than anyone else mentioned so far, but he still puts up good numbers and passes the eye test as a potential NHLer.
Travis Zegras - He gets a lot of skillset comparisons to Hughes, and he has the numbers to match. The biggest issue is his play away from the puck and on the back check is considerably weaker.
Bobby Brink - Slightly undersized at 5'10, but plays 2 weight classes above him, and is a strong playmaker. The best comparison I can make is Mike Richards as far as style of play and role.
Cole Caufield - Smaller sniper who doesn't drive the net. I get a lot of a Mike Cammalleri vibe to him; that doesn't make him a bad player, but I think he would be a good grab in the 2nd round. I think he goes before that.

I'll add to this/make a new post as I watch more and feel better forming an opinion on some other players.

Paging @Holden Caulfield :sarcasm:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Sounds like Blake needs to find a way to get more picks in the top 15.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sounds like Blake needs to find a way to get more picks in the top 15.

Yes and no.

I'm not expecting the Kings to get another top 15 pick. They could, but at this climate, there's not a bubble team who will chance trading away their first round pick. Most teams will wait closer to the deadline to acquire more assets, and by then, they have a clear direction, a good group who has performed for most of the season, and so they are likely going to make the playoffs. It would take a catastrophe for a team to bomb out of playoff contention.

Buffalo has potentially 3 first round picks this year, and that's from selling players the year before. Colorado has the Senators' pick, and that's from trading Duchene last year.

So I think at this point, it's not realistic to expect another top 15 pick this year.

On that token, I also am wary of getting too hyped about potential draft picks, as I do not have a lot of confidence in the organization's ability to develop them into reliable top 6 forwards.

There's a reason why Tampa gets a lot of hits with their forwards. It's not just because they have the only good scouts and they are the only ones picking good players. They also seemingly have a great team to work with and bring the best out of the players to match the system they want to play. I question Blake's vision and the staff's capability to work under the confines of whatever vision exists.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brett Leason went undrafted in 2017/2018 but is putting up video game numbers in the WHL (59 points in 26 games as of today). I think Bob McKenzie mentioned that it wouldn't be shocking if Canada invited Leason to their WJC evaluation camp in a couple weeks. So he might be a Tanner Pearson type older prospect who'll be available in the draft. And since he's older, he could immediately turn pro which might be attractive to a team which might want potential instant help.

Probably not a lottery consideration, but some are thinking he could get into the conversation in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Watched some video on Boldy today. Fun player to watch. Does a lot of everything. High energy player.

Wouldn't mind the Kings nabbing him if they get a second 1st round pick

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I'm not even sure Hughes will be the best player. Yeah I know I'm just a casual fan and never even seen a game just highlights but can there be a bust potential in this kid. Not saying size makes the difference but this kid is listed at 5'10"- 157LBS maybe dripping wet. 1 goal and 14 assist in 10 USHL games doesn't scream number one. Maybe my avatar needs to change. LOL.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Hughes will be very good, but it is fair to wonder how good he will be right away making the jump from the NTDP to the NHL, I don't think anyone has ever done that in the history of the program.

He was in a bit of a tough spot, he couldn't accelerate his education enough to enroll at Michigan this fall and I don't think they wanted him to move to Europe like Matthews did. Not sure why OHL wasn't in the mix, but it will be quite the jump for him next year if he's in the NHL.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
I think Kakko would be a great addition too. Finland have produced a lot of good young players recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad