2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
What is going to be interesting is Caufield more than anything. He is that one guy that teams are probably banging their heads over because one one hand, they don't want to get out of their box and risk a pick too high on a small guy. On the other hand, they don't want to be one of 5-10 teams that passed over him and are watching him pot 35-40 a year.

You can't take him at 5 if Turcotte or Byram are there. You can take him if those two, Krebs, Zegras, Cozens and Dach are gone. If I am at 9 or 10, I take Caufield. Boldy is another forwrad who is probably making scouts work hard.

That's where a trade down works for me. I just don't see the Kings getting a great return to move down and still be in the Top 10. Unless it's decent 2nd, then I am passing on moving and I am certainly not moving out of the first 10 picks.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The latest ISS rankings have Dach down to the 11th rated prospect. I wonder why he fell. Underwhelming playoff performance?

I still say Krebs is underrated.

Pretty I read an article online that Dach is dropping because of his inconsistent performance... maybe he drops enough for us to trade up for?? :sarcasm:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Might be a little unfair to Dach since he sat out the U18s due to shoulder injury. Sometimes it feels a little bit like "out of sight, out of mind" / recency bias with the various services that post new rankings every month. That grouping up to 11 seems pretty good, every mock draft I do I get to Philadelphia's pick and think "There's no way this guy should be available" but somebody has to be there.

Reactions: King'sPawn

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Pretty I read an article online that Dach is dropping because of his inconsistent performance... maybe he drops enough for us to trade up for?? :sarcasm:

This is what I hate to see because it makes me think "Unmotivated unless he is engaged with the puck:"

17. Arthur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL), 6-foot-2, 190 pounds: He can score goals no doubt, with 51 in the OHL this season. But is his effort and play away from the puck consistent enough? Debate amongst yourselves.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This is what I hate to see because it makes me think "Unmotivated unless he is engaged with the puck:"

17. Arthur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL), 6-foot-2, 190 pounds: He can score goals no doubt, with 51 in the OHL this season. But is his effort and play away from the puck consistent enough? Debate amongst yourselves.

Add Bobby Brink, people are now saying is an anchor because his linemates during the tourney couldn't produce until after he was removed.

EDIT: the whole Dach thing was also attributed to him playing through injury so Unmotivated no, kid is uber competitive.. conditioning could be a thing though

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Looking at the surplus of picks they have, I don’t see the Kings trading their 21/22 pick to move down and try and grab a target. I’m expecting that pick to be packaged with current players as part of roster turn over.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see something like the late first, Toffoli and Kempe moved to Columbus for Cam Atkinson and Sonny Milano.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Looking at the surplus of picks they have, I don’t see the Kings trading their 21/22 pick to move down and try and grab a target. I’m expecting that pick to be packaged with current players as part of roster turn over.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see something like the late first, Toffoli and Kempe moved to Columbus for Cam Atkinson and Sonny Milano.

Really like the idea but Cam is too old.. Kings need to target 23-26 YO(Blake also said this).. I'd even make a run at Jeff Skinner to a certain monetary amount...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Why would Columbus do that?

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Really like the idea but Cam is too old.. Kings need to target 23-26 YO(Blake also said this).. I'd even make a run at Jeff Skinner to a certain monetary amount...

I’m sure Blake likes the idea too. Fits his pattern of management via opportunistic half measures. The rumors of the failed Skinner and Patches trades point to a guy like Atkinson as a left over target who could be had.

Why would Columbus do that?

It depends on their UFAs. If they lose all of them and John Davidson, it wouldn’t surprise me to hear them announce a youth movement. In that scenario, I think the following calculus favors the trade.

1. Atkinson has been inconsistent and makes close to $7m with trade protection. Which he would waive to come play with his bff, Jon Quick.
2. He’s 29 and signed for 7 more years.
3. Milano is a tweener with still some upside, but buried in the minors because he isn’t a Torts kind of guy. And he’s an RFA.
4. Toffoli plus Kempe should equal and could exceed Atkinson’s production while reducing risk and adding depth who is younger.
5. The 1st starts to recoup what was lost at the TDL.

Frankly, it would be an awful asset management strategy for a rebuilding Kings. But I can totally see it happening because of the surface optics and the wishy washy rebuild talk from the club.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I’m sure Blake likes the idea too. Fits his pattern of management via opportunistic half measures. The rumors of the failed Skinner and Patches trades point to a guy like Atkinson as a left over target who could be had.

The Patches trade wouldhave been terrible but it didnt go throug so its irrevelant. Also keep in mind that he thought we were a playoff team...
I dont remember the Jeff Skinner rumors though??
1- As for Atkinson, I rule him out immediately because of age.. I didn't even need to get to commenting about how I just dont like his play...
2- ^^^
3- There is no need for Milano and he also doesnt move the needle
4- Toffoli and Kempe, but moreso Toffoli are expendable, inconsistent and replaceable. I agree with you about their production.
5- Nothing will recoup what was lost during DL's last few seasons. the loss of a Barzal/Connor, Cernak, McKeown, Miller, Jones.. etc.. those will hurt unless Vilardi, Anderson, Clague, Kupari, #5 and a few more pan out...

I will say this about Blake and the FO, we have had 2 borderline great draft classes.. A healthy Vilardi could be a game changer.. and this class could possibly be Blake's best..

EDIT: Dammit I accidentally entered my comment as part of your qoute..

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kings Interested In Jeff Skinner

Blake doesn’t earn superlatives for keeping draft picks and using the scouting organization built from the ground up by his immediate predecessor.

Ah that rumor.. i dont put that up with Patches because that deal was all but done....
No he doesn't, what he does get credit for is letting his scouts pick teh BPA and not certain type..
That's why we ended up with
Joey Ryan over Milan Lucic.. and that hurts twice as bad when you consider the trade
Milan Lucic over Matthew Barzal/Kyle Connor
Colton Teubert over Erik Karlsson... and more

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Well, this draft, with the 5 pick, the Kings choice is going to point to Blake’s vision and maybe where he sees the greatest org need.

Reactions: kings11

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
How are the Rangers with Winnepeg's puck ahead of us, Toronto's pick with they had the same point total but 3 more wins??

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Why on Earth would the Kings trade assets for a guy with only one year remaining. What's to make him re-sign?
Article was from last season when the Kings actaully made the playoffs.. but I agree, after the Milan Lucic debacle we need to stay the hell away from rentals!
Now with that said, he's now a UFA so i'd be all for signign the guy...within a certain budget...

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I'm more and more convinced that Chicago won't take Byram with their pick. Looking at their prospects, you have Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell, Beaudin and Sikura considered in their top 5-6 prospects. They need Forwards. They will make it easy if they take Pod because Turcotte and/or Byram will be there for the Kings.

Colorado is going to be the wildcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad