2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I like what I've seen of Hughes, Podkolzin, Kakko, and even Cozens. Kings would really benefit from any talented young player capable of playing soon.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Lose for Hughes.jpg

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
We'll never get the 1st overall. Back to the black hole for the next century. :cry:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wonder how the depth of the 1st round looks, I'm sure we could have 3 picks at least if we aren't intent on change.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In case anybody needs a hockey fix, there's a stream for the US U18 squad's exhibition against BU at 4:30pm. Not sure if the stream is free (I seem to see a free 7 day trial on their site). There are 7 guys on the US team in McKenzie's top 20. I think I've seen a couple more listed on other services' top 31.

Also tomorrow night, ESPN+ will be streaming the US U18 game against Harvard. I might sign up for the free 7 day trial for that one.

And it looks like a possible strong year for the WHL after being a dud last season. I have friends in Portland/Seattle, so it's always a fun excuse to visit and drag them to a game.

Former LA Junior King Dustin Wolf is taking over in net for Carter Hart in Everett and putting up good numbers so far. Teams are usually a little tepid to draft a goalie who's a normal sized human being, so maybe Wolf would be somebody on the Kings radar in the mid rounds?

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No way are the Kings going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick, just not going to happen unless one of 11 or 8 were to suffer a serious injury.

And we will see what happens with the Kings picking players from the NTDP high in the draft, since this scouting team took over starting with the 2007 draft the Kings have taken exactly one player from the NTDP in the first 2 rounds of the draft (Forbort in 2010). The Kings sure seem to prefer CHL or European players with high picks over college bound kids.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
My home teams (closest to where I live up in the cold north of Bonner's Ferry Idaho) are the Spokane Chiefs and Kelowna. There are a couple of other teams that I spend most of my time following but all of it is Juniours. I was also fortunate enough to see a couple of intl tourneys recently (enough) and other than Hughes who is another truly gifted elite skill player I believe that Kakko will be the guy to get.

Dahl is good but reminds me allot of Boyle at the same stage in his career. There are many great kids in this draft but to me there are only two to get truly flat out geeked about. Hughes and Kakko.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I've read a lot of good things about Kirby Dach.

12 GP, 7 G, 15 A.
He's a 6'4 Center for Saskatoon in the WHL. Sounds like the complete package.

Sounds great...but his 'offense first mentality' would not gel with the Kings!

"""" great combination of size, strength and puck skills … ‘offence first’ mentality … soft hands… good puck pursuit … quick stick … finds availa, ISS Hockey 2017""""

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No way are the Kings going to be bad enough to _____

We probably have to stop saying things like this. In June 2014, would anyone have said the Kings would have just 1 playoff win overall, and 0 at home, in the next 4 years? Not when you have Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick. They're too good for that.

Saying there's no way the Kings can be bad enough for A, B, or C, is the same thing as Robitaille and Blake saying they're good enough to be contenders. We don't know how bad the Kings can be, regardless of the variables involved.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Pass on Dach for me unless we want another Boyle to lance. The current rankings are almost irrelevant because the euro scouts are still getting their crud together imo. That said Kakko will end up right behind Hughes and there are at least another 12 to 13 players who look exceptional. Hughes may be the grand prize but this draft is a pretty good one.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Pass on Dach for me unless we want another Boyle to lance. The current rankings are almost irrelevant because the euro scouts are still getting their crud together imo. That said Kakko will end up right behind Hughes and there are at least another 12 to 13 players who look exceptional. Hughes may be the grand prize but this draft is a pretty good one.

So good to see you back. Have missed your posts and presence. I went to Leadville recently and thought of you...recall you visited there and liked it.
I was at the Avs game last week in Denver, 8th row and was awed by MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog. Only way Kings ever have something
like that, is several top 10 picks...Only way ANY team has something like that.

Would love your opinion on: Clague, JAD, Vilardi, Thomas, Kupari or anyone you feel has great potential in organization. Sodergran, Shaffigulin, Dudas. Mikey Anderson...If too taxing on your time,
and pass, respect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Aside from both being big, how are the two comparable?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And we will see what happens with the Kings picking players from the NTDP high in the draft, since this scouting team took over starting with the 2007 draft the Kings have taken exactly one player from the NTDP in the first 2 rounds of the draft (Forbort in 2010). The Kings sure seem to prefer CHL or European players with high picks over college bound kids.

It's interesting to look back on. One could argue that the NTDP kids just weren't in the conversation for where the Kings were picking.

--------------------

2007:
Thomas Hickey (4) : Kevin Shattenkirk (14)
Oscar Moller (52) : Mike Hoeffel (57)
Wayne Simmonds (61) : Josh Unice (86)

Columbus was considering Shattenkirk as a fall back option if Gagner/Voracek weren't there at #7.

2008:
Drew Doughty (2)
Colten Teubert (13)
Slava Voynov (32) : Danny Kristo (56)

Down year for the NTDP with Kristo being the highest pick.

2009:
Brayden Schenn (5) : Kyle Palmieri (26)
Kyle Clifford (35) : Chris Brown (36), William Wrenn (43), Drew Shore (45), Jeremy Morin (46)

From what I recall, San Jose reached for Wrenn and many were surprised that Morin dropped, but there were concerns about his skating.

2010:
Derek Forbort (15)
Tyler Toffoli (47) : Jason Zucker (59), Stephen Johns (60)

Toffoli was supposed to go closer to #30.

2011:
Chris Gibson (49) : Michael Paliotta (70)

Down year for NTDP.

2012:
Tanner Pearson (30) : Nic Kerdiles (36)

I think Pearson was ranked higher than Kerdiles on most rankings. Maybe as a bonus, Pearson was able to turn pro immediately.

2013:
Valentin Zykov (37) : Steve Santini (42)

2014:
Adrian Kempe (29) : Ryan Collins (47)
Roland McKeown (50) : Jack Dougherty (51)
Alex Lintuniemi (60) : Jack Glover (69), Louis Belpedio (80)

Down years for NTDP.

2015:
Erik Cernak (43) : Jordan Greenway (50), Jeremy Bracco (61)

I liked Jeremy Bracco a lot, but could understand if teams would shy away from a guy his size. Greenway developed well after the draft, but I was skeptical at the time.

2016:
Kale Clague (51) : Joe Woll (62), William Lockwood (64), Adam Fox (66), J.D. Greenway (72), Joey Anderson (73)

Similar to Toffoli, Clague just dropped further than expected. Fox fell a bit further, possibly with teams worried he'd go the Vesey/Kerfoot route with Harvard.

2017:
Gabe Vilardi (11) : Josh Norris (19)
Jaret Anderson-Dolan (41) : Grant Mismash (61), Max Gildon (63)

Down year for NTDP.

2018:
Rasmus Kupari (20) : K'Andre Miller (22)
Akil Thomas (51) : Jake Wise (69)

Kings probably didn't have a D like Miller on their radar. Thomas dropped unexpectedly like Clague.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
No way are the Kings going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick, just not going to happen unless one of 11 or 8 were to suffer a serious injury.
I think most teams in the NHL have similar talent levels. If you're a middle pack team like the Kings you can have a season where everything goes wrong and finish at the bottom of the league. The 06-07 Flyers are a good example.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
If this draft is going to be deep, our rebuild/retool will get a huge jump start if we add 2-3 more 1sts by trading Muzzin, Carter, Toffoli/Pearson.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I've read a lot of good things about Kirby Dach.

12 GP, 7 G, 15 A.
He's a 6'4 Center for Saskatoon in the WHL. Sounds like the complete package.

I live in Saskatoon and am hoping to catch a few games soon. Will let you know what I see

Reactions: King'sPawn

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If this draft is going to be deep, our rebuild/retool will get a huge jump start if we add 2-3 more 1sts by trading Muzzin, Carter, Toffoli/Pearson.
Yes, the Kings need to find a way to get at least one extra 1st and an extra 2nd.

Reactions: kenito7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad