2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Harley is our guy

I've seen him between 12-15 on some lists now. Will probably be gone...unless the Kings want him bad enough and trade up.

14th now on ISS

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ISS HOCKEY TOP 31

Leason may be a good pick there, if he's available. Even though he's 19, he had 3 goals and 2 assists for Canada in the WJC...he's 6 months younger than JAD, and JAD had only 1 goal in 5 games for Canada...I think his wrist was probably not strong though and he was just coming back from that...but Leason is 6'5" and 200. if the TOR #1 is around 26-27, he may be gone. I think the Kings will still get awesome players at 27 and 33 though.

Big numbers and Leason does not turn 19 until late April.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've seen him between 12-15 on some lists now. Will probably be gone...unless the Kings want him bad enough and trade up.

14th now on ISS

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ISS HOCKEY TOP 31

Leason may be a good pick there, if he's available. Even though he's 19, he had 3 goals and 2 assists for Canada in the WJC...he's 6 months younger than JAD, and JAD had only 1 goal in 5 games for Canada...I think his wrist was probably not strong though and he was just coming back from that...but Leason is 6'5" and 200. if the TOR #1 is around 26-27, he may be gone. I think the Kings will still get awesome players at 27 and 33 though.

Big numbers and Leason does not turn 19 until late April.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com

This link has a variety of scouting services and where the players are ranked:
2019 NHL Draft Rankings

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I just dont want us to try and be too clever and pick someone way offboard like the Hickey pick. Everyone will be dusting off their pitchforks if Villardi cant get healthy and this years top pick flunks.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I just dont want us to try and be too clever and pick someone way offboard like the Hickey pick. Everyone will be dusting off their pitchforks if Villardi cant get healthy and this years top pick flunks.

You can't be serious the pitchforks in this fan base don't have a chance to get dusty there in constant use

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

I doubt that they will do that. Scouting in general is miles better than it was 10+ years ago. The game has changed and while Vilardi is going to be the subject of some discussions because he is still on the shelf, the Kings have done pretty well with their picks when you look at Kupari, Thomas, Anderson-Dolan, Phillips and Anderson. Those guys are all in the top 10 and when you can get 5 guys in two drafts(not including Vilardi) that should all play in the NHL, your scouting department is doing a pretty decent job. You add in some other guys like Eyssimont, Shafigulin and Villalta, the Kings have done ok.

The Top 10 in this draft is most likely going to be Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, Byram, Dach, Turcotte, Podkolzin and Boldy. The order is debatable and you could see maybe a Defenseman jump one of the forwards if a team goes after a guy like Soderstrom, Harley, York or Broberg. The wildcards could be Caufield, Suzuki and Newhook plus Podkolzin could plummet if teams get scared off with the Russian thing. I doubt the Kings take the Russian at any point because they need guys who they feel good about getting into the system.

The Draft is kind of idiot-proof at the top. It's deep and thinking that it is only a Hughes or Kakko draft is too simplistic. I have taken a different approach in that where we draft probably will dictate the type of player we take. The top 2 is easy. If they are 3-4 the will probably go with a forward and any lower, they could go Byram if he is around at 5-7.

Either way, I think that it's exciting to think that we are going to most likely get either a Top 2 Dman or a Top 3 Dynamic Scoring Forward in terms of potential with our first pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I have a gut feeling LA ends up with Byram or Cozens. Could just be indigestion tho.

LAs d core is pretty weak prospect wise. I know you don’t pick for need but if Byram is about equal to others around 4-5 then why not?

I think I’d honestly be happier knowing LA took a calculated gamble on Vilardi at this point. That his skill is worth the risk of never recovering. Still, a top pick like that sitting on the sidelines stings. At least JAD was taken that draft too.

IF Vilardi can come in with the next top pick that would be something to get excited about at least. Still, he’s a unicorn at this point.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I wonder if Blake could pull off a Cammalleri 2.0.. Ship Toffoli out along with the TML pick to move into Florida’s spot at 11OA???

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wonder if Blake could pull off a Cammalleri 2.0.. Ship Toffoli out along with the TML pick to move into Florida’s spot at 11OA???

That would be ideal, but I’m not sure how many teams value Toffoli given the abysmal season he’s had. Teams would probably try to take advantage of that fact and try to acquire him while his value is at its lowest.

The Toronto pick and an extra second rounder might be more compelling to a team who is looking to trade down.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That would be ideal, but I’m not sure how many teams value Toffoli given the abysmal season he’s had. Teams would probably try to take advantage of that fact and try to acquire him while his value is at its lowest.

The Toronto pick and an extra second rounder might be more compelling to a team who is looking to trade down.
If one of the top 7 falls I’d give up Toffoli, 25th and the 2nd rounder... maybe even retain on TT if a Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras or Boldy falls

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
If one of the top 7 falls I’d give up Toffoli, 25th and the 2nd rounder... maybe even retain on TT if a Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras or Boldy falls

I think teams would value TOR Pick + 'nothing', MUCH more than TOR pick + Toffoli.
He now misses the net from 8 feet consistently. His 5.9 shooting % is like an average defenseman now.
0 goals, 2 assists, last 16 games. His game, abilities, performance and statistics as a top 6 winger are well below average in all areas.

The Kings will get great prospects at apx 27 and apx. 33. Giving up both 27 and 33 to move up, would really take a player they coveted, to do that.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I always felt that was a horrible trade (aside from Teubert).

So hopefully he does not pull that off.

As much as I liked him, Cammy was all about the NHLPA and his own accomplishments more than he was being part of a team. It was the right move for team chemistry and that team comradery was an essential part of two Cups wins.

PS. Had we drafted Karlsson instead you would love the trade.

Reactions: yankeeking

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Just trying to figure out who to root for/against in the playoffs:

• TML to lose in 1st round (Muzz trade - Leafs’ 1st round pick)
  • Caps lose in 1st round Hags trade - Caps 3rd round pick) OR Caps get to ECF/Hags plays 50% (also Hags trade, get an extra 6th round 2020 pick)
  • Flames lose in 1st round (Thompson trade w/ Habs - Calgary 4th round pick)
Did I correctly capture the draft picks? The first one is looking more plausible and get us a decent near mid 1st round pick. I was worried TML would win a couple of rounds and we’d end up with a late 1st pick. Go Bruins!

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
As much as I liked him, Cammy was all about the NHLPA and his own accomplishments more than he was being part of a team. It was the right move for team chemistry and that team comradery was an essential part of two Cups wins.

PS. Had we drafted Karlsson instead you would love the trade.
I still know how i felt when the trade was announced without knowing the pick.

That was not a good trade based on value.

Drafting Karlsson would have made it incredibly good but those are secondary circumstances.
If the Kings trade Toffoli for two first round picks, than it is a good trade. If we make two horrible choices with it, than that sucks, but that does not make it a bad trade.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I still know how i felt when the trade was announced without knowing the pick.

That was not a good trade based on value.

Drafting Karlsson would have made it incredibly good but those are secondary circumstances.
If the Kings trade Toffoli for two first round picks, than it is a good trade. If we make two horrible choices with it, than that sucks, but that does not make it a bad trade.

I don't know. What was his value at the time? Was it really higher than a mid first?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't know. What was his value at the time? Was it really higher than a mid first?
I think so, he had an incredible season just the year before. Got injured but still a good season on a bad team. Than had an almost 40 goal season after the trade. All at age 26.

BTW, by no means I think Toffoli is worth two firsts. That was an example.

Reactions: Legionnaire

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
was watching TPS game, I may be in minority but Kakko is better than Hughes, if there is ever a reincarnation of Forsberg this is as close as we are gona get.

I don't think that a lot of people will argue that Kakko isn't better right now. The consensus is that Hughes has a higher ceiling and he most likely will reach that ceiling. You can't really go wrong though because both of them are going to be stars most likely.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Saturday, March 23:

NJ shootout win over Yotes!!!
Ottawa OT win over the Oil !!! (the only day I may ever like Brady Tkachuk)

NJ now with 65. Ottawa with 58. Kings 60. Det 62.

Det plays LV tonight.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

Cozens to me is a fascinating prospect. He is a strong skater and has the size to really control the pace. There aren't really any big weaknesses to his game. He seems to be the guy that most have looked at as the 3rd best prospect if Podkolzin slides down but things keep changing between Cozens, Turcotte and Dach when it comes to the 3-5 position unless Byram jumps up in there.

Cozens would be a really fascinating RW on a line with Vilardi if Vilardi can ever get healthy. The debate though still is whether he will be better as on the wing or down the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad