2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
It seems like some team will probably take Caulfield by 9-15 I bet.

What about the Kings taking Jakob Pelletier with the TOR pick? 5'9" 161 and 39 goals and 89 pts in the QMJHL. Slightly bigger than Caulfield and wears an A in Moncton,
Seems like the type of player TBL draft. Why not the Kings? He just turned 18. Could end up being 5'11" 180. Even if he's 5'10" 175, he can skate, shifty, compete, handle the puck,
score and create offense...and one stated 'excellent defensively"

Jakob Pelletier at eliteprospects.com

Sam Conentino - SportsNetFeb. 13th: "Scouts always ask themselves: does this player drive the play? With Pelletier the answer is always a resounding yes."

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsFeb. 6th: "Lightning quick hands, jet-propelled acceleration and a flair for the dramatic. Despite his size, he’s not afraid to cut into the dirty area of the rink. Already a deft two-way threat and can play all three forward positions."

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Smaller winger makes a big impact thanks to his nonstop motor and ferocity on the puck"

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Nov. 7th: "The hockey IQ is way too high to ignore. He makes those around him better and competes like a champ."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 6th: "Pelletier is a shifty skater who can escape traffic with a lateral cut or a quick two-touch handle to bring his stick into open space and find a linemate. He’s also excellent defensively and can be counted on in his own zone."

Jakob Pelletier | Jakob Pelletier Profile | Jakob Pelletier Scouting Report 2019

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It seems like some team will probably take Caulfield by 9-15 I bet.

What about the Kings taking Jakob Pelletier with the TOR pick? 5'9" 161 and 39 goals and 89 pts in the QMJHL. Slightly bigger than Caulfield and wears an A in Moncton,
Seems like the type of player TBL draft. Why not the Kings? He just turned 18. Could end up being 5'11" 180. Even if he's 5'10" 175, he can skate, shifty, compete, handle the puck,
score and create offense...and one stated 'excellent defensively"

Jakob Pelletier at eliteprospects.com

Sam Conentino - SportsNetFeb. 13th: "Scouts always ask themselves: does this player drive the play? With Pelletier the answer is always a resounding yes."

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsFeb. 6th: "Lightning quick hands, jet-propelled acceleration and a flair for the dramatic. Despite his size, he’s not afraid to cut into the dirty area of the rink. Already a deft two-way threat and can play all three forward positions."

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Smaller winger makes a big impact thanks to his nonstop motor and ferocity on the puck"

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Nov. 7th: "The hockey IQ is way too high to ignore. He makes those around him better and competes like a champ."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 6th: "Pelletier is a shifty skater who can escape traffic with a lateral cut or a quick two-touch handle to bring his stick into open space and find a linemate. He’s also excellent defensively and can be counted on in his own zone."

Jakob Pelletier | Jakob Pelletier Profile | Jakob Pelletier Scouting Report 2019

I haven't liked him based on my viewings. I know some people are really high on him, but I've been underwhelmed.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I must of recalled a past lottery that only showed the results on TV in reversed order. Like 3rd then 2nd and first. Ok so they do pick 1st overall first.

They did that for the Crosby sweepstakes back in the day. Until they got to the last two, then they announced Pittsburgh first and Anaheim second.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Who do you like for late first rounder and Kings second rounder? Ones that may be there.

- Alex Vlasic
- Brett Leason
- Thomas Harley
- Ville Heinola
- Nick Robertson
- Arthur Kaliyev
- Raphael Lavoie
- Albin Grewe

These are all players who could fall into the 20+ range, I've watched (at least as much as I've watched Pelletier) and I like more. Arguably, Philip Tomasino is also preferable over Pelletier.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
- Alex Vlasic
- Brett Leason
- Thomas Harley
- Ville Heinola
- Nick Robertson
- Arthur Kaliyev
- Raphael Lavoie
- Albin Grewe

These are all players who could fall into the 20+ range, I've watched (at least as much as I've watched Pelletier) and I like more. Arguably, Philip Tomasino is also preferable over Pelletier.
I'd would add Nolan Foote to that mix. I'd love if they drafted him with that pick from Toronto. I'd also be happy with either Harley or Vlasic.

Reactions: King'sPawn

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
- Alex Vlasic
- Brett Leason
- Thomas Harley
- Ville Heinola
- Nick Robertson
- Arthur Kaliyev
- Raphael Lavoie
- Albin Grewe

I think Heinola has had more points than Heiskanen did in Finland. Could be a real good add to the defense cupboard.

I still like Kaliyev too.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
ERROR

Attachments

• 1934f0274ac825be742f86095b3307733df204cf002d0f5ed7b9609aef46128f.png
    1934f0274ac825be742f86095b3307733df204cf002d0f5ed7b9609aef46128f.png
    412.6 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: ibleedkings

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I also like forwards more than defensemen. More sexier.

Defensemen are also harder to rate but if you draft a good one, you have one playing 22-25 minutes a night. No forward can beat that.

One good goalie, two good centers and you are set for years again.

Kings should draft a defenseman with that Toronto pick unless there is really one forward that seriously dropped.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I also like forwards more than defensemen. More sexier.

Defensemen are also harder to rate but if you draft a good one, you have one playing 22-25 minutes a night. No forward can beat that.

One good goalie, two good centers and you are set for years again.

Kings should draft a defenseman with that Toronto pick unless there is really one forward that seriously dropped.

The problems with the Defensive prospects this year is that they really are in short supply if you are needing a top 2. There seem to be an abundance of solid Forwards this year.

Bryam seems legit and should be a top pairing guy. Then it’s like a bunch of guys who may not even be a 2nd pairing and to use a high pick there is a hard.

It’s hard to separate Broberg, Seider, Soderstrom, York, Harley, Honka or Robertson in the First Round. I would be comfortable with one of these guys in the Second Round though.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Every year, at least 1 or 2 guys drop so the Kong’s will have opportunities with all 3 of their top picks. As long as they develop them right, it will be nice to have such an influx of talent.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just not a fan of Goalies or defensive dmen in the first round. How many starting goalies were first rounders? How many of them were elite? Price? Fluery? Louongo? Vasilevskiy? Rask?

That’s what 5/31?

I think Petersen is legit. Campbell is a former 1st rounder that has finally found his game.

Just not a huge fan of taking goalies in the first.

Here's a somewhat unscientific reminder of the players who went 25-35 between 2005-2014 (ommitted 2015 and recent since those guys are still getting their feet wet in most cases). I hate using the the "elite" label, but bolded the star/above average NHLers and then everyday NHLers are in red

2005: Cogliano|Pelech|Finley|Niskanen|Downie|Mihalik|Mikkelson|Plante|Neal|Stoa|Vlasic
2006: Berglund|Irving|Vishnevskiy|Foligno|Summers|Corrente|Kana|Sneep|Makarov|Neuvirth|Bouchard
2007: White|Perron|Smith|Petrecki|O'Brien|Ross|Brennan|MacLean|Ellington|Godfrey|Cross
2008: Nemisz|Ennis|Carlson|Tikhonov|Leveille|McCollum|Markstrom|Voynov|McRae|Allen|Deschamps
2009: Caron|Palmieri|Paradis|Olsen|Ashton|Despres|Koskinen|Ferraro|O'Reilly|Klingberg|Clifford
2010: Howden|Kuznetsov|Visentin|Coyle|Etem|Nelson|Pitlick|Knight|McFarland|Smith|Rensfeldt
2011: Percy|Danault|Namestnikov|Phillips|Jensen|Rakell|Musil|Rattie|Grimaldi|Mayfield|Jurco
2012: Schmaltz|Gaunce|Samuelsson|Skjei|Matteau|Pearson|Dansk|Moroz|Collberg|Pokka|Finn
2013: McCarron|Theodore|Dano|Klimchuk|Dickinson|Hartman|McCoshen|Bigras|Erne|De La Rose|Compher
2014: Pastrnak|Scherbak|Goldobin|Ho-Sang|Kempe|Quenneville|Lemieux|Hawryluk|Barbashev|McDonald|Masin

Just by that quick breakdown, that's like 14/110 for players who are definitely above average NHLers. I guess we could argue Coyle|Nelson|Pearson, but there's still a lot more forgettable skaters than most of us would care to remember.

I get the general sentiment that assessing 17 year old goalies is tough if only because most of them simply aren't even the starters for their clubs at 17. But once in awhile you get that guy like Vasilevskiy where you can see at that age that he's a cut above the rest. Purportedly Knight is held in the same regard. If he's still on the board in the late first round, I wouldn't be at all upset if the Kings took him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->