2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
After watching more of Byram, I'm warming up to him. He is very talented as far as skating and puck movement. Also very engaged physically.

He has made some questionable decisions with pinching in and going for it. I think he feels he can get away with it since he's such a great skater.

He definitely has top pairing potential.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Picks 1,2,3 in the 1st round are the elite talents, the game changers for a franchise. Pick 4 is way behind pick 3 but still a very very good choice.

assets3.sportsnet.ca

This has been on the boards before
somewhere. Anyway, at the draft and depending on the order from the lottery, the Kings could use the Toronto 1st round pick+++? to get 2 top 3 picks. Can you imagine the boost to the franchise. I know, wishfull thinking. But still, depending on many facters and some good fortune, it's not impossible.
Link didn't work but that is the link.

Last edited:

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
OK this is the article from Sports Net.
Very interesting seeing such a massive drop from 1 to 4.

Analyzing the value of NHL draft picks.

Maybe someone could post a link. Thanks.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I wonder how elite Hughes/Kakko are.

Are we talking Nolan Patrick/Nico or are we talking Austin Matthews/Nathan MacKinnon.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wonder how elite Hughes/Kakko are.

Are we talking Nolan Patrick/Nico or are we talking Austin Matthews/Nathan MacKinnon.

I agree they are between the two tiers. Matthews/MacKinnon are gamebreakers

Patrick/Hischier are high caliber/potential stars.

Hughes has been compared to Patrick Kane, and he is putting up great numbers. However, given that he missed a couple games for the WJC and is missing the 5 Nations Tourney now, I'm starting to have questions about his durability.

Kakko is putting up nearly identical scoring pace in the Liiga as Patrik Laine during his draft year. His stock is going up, especially with his WJC heroics. I still think Hughes has the edge as far as high octane ability and elite skating for the new NHL, but he's definitely capable. He also had a concussion last week or so and is going to be missing a European tournament as a result.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Hughes has been compared to Patrick Kane, and he is putting up great numbers. However, given that he missed a couple games for the WJC and is missing the 5 Nations Tourney now, I'm starting to have questions about his durability.

Kakko is putting up nearly identical scoring pace in the Liiga as Patrik Laine during his draft year. His stock is going up, especially with his WJC heroics. I still think Hughes has the edge as far as high octane ability and elite skating for the new NHL, but he's definitely capable. He also had a concussion last week or so and is going to be missing a European tournament as a result.
Seems like picking second will be the easiest decision to make.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Seems like picking second will be the easiest decision to make.
I've got a feeling either way we'll end up with Kaapo Kakko. Kupari+Kakko.

sp-juniors-a-20190107-870x580.jpg

Reactions: LAKings88

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Kakko is probably more NHL ready than Hughes but both are going to play right away. Hughes has probably the highest ceiling and will make everyone on the ice better. I don't see a dropoff though after then until you get past #5. Any of the top 5 are going to change your team for the better. Podkolzin is a really good sniper and mean. He also played well on the big stage.

Dach just turned 18 and the kid is 6'4 200lbs. Skates well, good speed, high IQ, good shot and basically does everything well. The only thing that may not be what the Kings want there is that he is somewhat of a playmaker first. I would not be depressed for a second though if he were drafted by LA.

Cozens can play Center or Wing. He skates well, good passer, great shot, high IQ.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I want a top 5. I think there is a top 5 tier in this draft and it tapers off after that.

Unless you are going to draft a Defenseman. Byram could probably be a Top 5 pick if the first 5 Forwards weren't so strong. The 2nd tier of Forwards all have high level potential but are just a hair off. That tier is Boldy, Turcotte, Zegras and Krebs. I have seen some mock drafts that have Turcotte and Boldy going in the top 5 picks and Cozens slipping.

This is one of the deeper drafts that I have seen with regards to the Top 10.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Unless you are going to draft a Defenseman. Byram could probably be a Top 5 pick if the first 5 Forwards weren't so strong. The 2nd tier of Forwards all have high level potential but are just a hair off. That tier is Boldy, Turcotte, Zegras and Krebs. I have seen some mock drafts that have Turcotte and Boldy going in the top 5 picks and Cozens slipping.

This is one of the deeper drafts that I have seen with regards to the Top 10.
I maybe bigger on Cozens than I should be

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Am I the only one who things Hughes is going to be a disappointment. Maybe not a bust but maybe not as good as hyped. Just an opinion, have a feeling he's a bit overrated. And no way he's NHL ready, dude seems small even in the WJC. In the WJC looked like he did not want to go into the corners he'd get destroyed by grown men.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Am I the only one who things Hughes is going to be a disappointment. Maybe not a bust but maybe not as good as hyped. Just an opinion, have a feeling he's a bit overrated. And no way he's NHL ready, dude seems small even in the WJC. In the WJC looked like he did not want to go into the corners he'd get destroyed by grown men.
You mean how Patrick Kane looked too? Yeah I wouldnt be worried.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

There is a lot to like about Kakko's size. I know everyone wants to go for skill, but a good big man still beats a good little man most of the time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There is a lot to like about Kakko's size. I know everyone wants to go for skill, but a good big man still beats a good little man most of the time.

I agree.

As much as I like Hughes and Kakko, there are plenty of other players afterwards, too.

I've listed them a few times, but after the 2nd overall:
Cozens
Dach
Turcotte
Krebs
Podkolzin
Kaliyev
Byram
Boldy
Zegras

These are all very talented players for a team trying to get younger.

Only Krebs and Zegras don't have a wealth of size/heavy style of play. But Krebs has more points than Dach and Cozens in the same league. Zegras has as many points as Hughes on the same team (albeit in more games played).

While I would love to get Hughes or Kakko, there are quite a few consolation prizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad