2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Outside of Hughes or Kakko..... Id like to see us take Cozens, Dach or Krebs....

I wouldnt mind seeing us acquire a couple other 1st round pick as well, possibly between TT, Muzzin, Martinez, Carter, Quick.....

Intriguing 10-15 pick would be Trevor Zegras... also very interested in Alex Vlasic who has a 2way game on the back end with size and bite... looks like he would be in the 20s... need to read more of the scouting report though.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings now have another first, likely in the 20-31 range.

Maybe Connor McMichael or Brett Leason is on their radar?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I want more picks!

giphy.gif

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Crazy as it sounds - the second #1 is at 25 and could be anywhere between 20 and 31...AND let's say it's 24 and the Kings are picking #4, #24 and #35 (the second rounder) Let's say the Kings select Cozens 4th overall and at #11, the (for example) the Rangers are selecting and they wanted Turcotte but he just went at #10. Kings see Krebs (or someone they covet) still there and want him. Maybe they can now trade #24 and #35 (or #24 and a player) for #11 and get Krebs too? And if the Kings get picks for Carter and Quick, all the more.
ASSET Management. Suddenly, the Kings have youth like Kupari, JAD, Grundstrom, Cozens, Krebs, Thomas...Clague, Mikey Anderson. Maybe add Prokhorkin? And they hopefully get one or both of Shafigullin and Sodergran over here too.

This is not looking too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: BallPointHammer

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Crazy as it sounds - the second #1 is at 25 and could be anywhere between 20 and 31...AND let's say it's 24 and the Kings are picking #4, #24 and #35 (the second rounder) Let's say the Kings select Cozens 4th overall and at #11, the (for example) the Rangers are selecting and they wanted Turcotte but he just went at #10. Kings see Krebs (or someone they covet) still there and want him. Maybe they can now trade #24 and #35 (or #24 and a player) for #11 and get Krebs too? And if the Kings get picks for Carter and Quick, all the more.
ASSET Management. Suddenly, the Kings have youth like Kupari, JAD, Grundstrom, Cozens, Krebs, Thomas...Clague, Mikey Anderson. Maybe add Prokhorkin? And they hopefully get one or both of Shafigullin and Sodergran over here too.

This is not looking too bad.

It doesn't take as long as it used to, and that is with the real possibility of completely missing out on a Top 10 caliber player if Vilardi's back never improves.

If they move Quick at the deadline it's very likely they are getting another late 1st this year. So suddenly that is a top 5 pick and three 1st rounders total in 2019 and hopefully another top 5 pick in 2020, plus you add in very early 2nd round picks and the Kings can quickly turn this around with how young guys are coming in and making an impact.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The key is getting rid of salary being paid to old vets who aren’t good enough depth players for this team to avoid the basement or first round playoff losses.

Pearson and Muzzin brought back no contracts after this season which are above ELC, I hope the picks and cap space keep flowing in.

And personally, I think everyone over 25yo, except Kopitar and Brown are gonna go before next season. Would not surprise me one bit if Kovy and Drew waive their NMCs and aren’t Kings next camp.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The key is getting rid of salary being paid to old vets who aren’t good enough depth players for this team to avoid the basement or first round playoff losses.

Pearson and Muzzin brought back no contracts after this season which are above ELC, I hope the picks and cap space keep flowing in.

And personally, I think everyone over 25yo, except Kopitar and Brown are gonna go before next season. Would not surprise me one bit if Kovy and Drew waive their NMCs and aren’t Kings next camp.

Blabitaille has been very scared to use the word rebuild but this Muzzin trade is a clear indication that is exactly what they plan to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see what Drew says about this trade and the impending rebuild now that it's for sure happening.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Drew's not going anywhere. I'll leave HF if he's traded unless its Colorado and a package of Ottawas 1st +. I just dont see it happening.

I just don’t see Drew, Brown, or Kopitar moving. There’s no way.

So you think that somehow Carter, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Clifford, Hagelin, Lewis, Thompson, Doughty, Martinez, Phaneuf, Forbort, LaDue, Fantenberg, Quick, and Campbell get moved by September?

Can’t wait to ice this lineup next year:

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Wagner - Kempe - Leipsic
Brodzinski - JAD - Luff
Grundstrom - Amadio - Rempal

Clague - Roy
Brickley - Walker
Reddekopp - Strand
MacDermid

Peterson
Kehler

We’re in line for the -1st pick with that lineup!

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

So you think that somehow Carter, Toffoli, Kovalchuk, Clifford, Hagelin, Lewis, Thompson, Doughty, Martinez, Phaneuf, Forbort, LaDue, Fantenberg, Quick, and Campbell get moved by September?

Wagner - Kempe - Leipsic
Brodzinski - JAD - Luff

Clague - Roy
Brickley - Walker
Reddekopp - Strand
MacDermid

Peterson
Kehler

I hope all those players are gone, but I don’t expect it all to happen by next camp.

Those forwards, I’d be willing to bet they scored more goals than this years group.

And yeah, that d lineup isn’t great, but I do think Doughty stays, and I’d keep LaDue as well. You also ignored any returns in trades or free agent signings.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I hope all those players are gone, but I don’t expect it all to happen by next camp.

Those forwards, I’d be willing to bet they scored more goals than this years group.

And yeah, that d lineup isn’t great, but I do think Doughty stays, and I’d keep LaDue as well. You also ignored any returns in trades or free agent signings.

That’s because I can’t predict the future. But I’m not even saying it from the Kings’ perspective. Even if we keep Doughty and LaDue, that’s 13 players leaving the Kings. The league can’t afford that much salary moving. We would need to take back salary in almost every single one of those trades.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
With us now having 2 1sts and likely adding another 2nd or other picks before the draft.... Know not a need, but if there at our 2nd I'd love for us to grab S. Knight. Best goalie prospect to come along in a while imo.

I have full faith in Petersen and Campbell yet having an elite goalie goes a long way.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland

Wagner - Kempe - Leipsic
Brodzinski - JAD - Luff

Clague - Roy
Brickley - Walker
Reddekopp - Strand
MacDermid

Peterson
Kehler

Adding Kopitar, Brown, Iafallo and Kempe to Ontario pretty much guarantees another Calder Cup next year.

Last edited:

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Blabitaille has been very scared to use the word rebuild but this Muzzin trade is a clear indication that is exactly what they plan to do.

I think it'll be interesting to see what Drew says about this trade and the impending rebuild now that it's for sure happening.

Drew's response:

Doughty on the Trade, Life After Muzzin, Future of the Kings | LA Kings Insider

“I’m here for the long haul. I want to be a King for the rest of my life. So I’m ready for whatever has to happen.”

Reactions: BallPointHammer

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So a couple mock drafts:

mynhldraft.com has the Kings taking Dach 3rd overall and Thomas Harley 25th overall.
draftsite.com has the Kings taking Kakko 2nd overall and Samuel Poulin 25th overall (as well as Nils Hoglander 33rd overall)

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Good day for the Tank.

Kings lose. New Jersey, Chicago, Detroit and St Louis all win. Just needing Ottawa to win. Kings firmly in 30th.

Reactions: amikhail4

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m disappointed. I feel like a decade + of great play and then cashing in for a huge haul before the decline begins would have been the perfect situation for the Kings.

I hope he changes his mind next season.

On one hand, you want important mentors like Doughty to hold down the fort for the young d-men as they get accustomed to the game, i.e. if we somehow ended up with Bowen Byram, he'd be a #2 before taking over as a #1 and moving Doughty down as he aged.

On the other hand, man, would be great to do something like Doughty and Quick to Colorado for the Ottawa 1st and other pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad