2019 Draft: 2nd Pick: Raphael Lavoie

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think that he's as good of a skater as some are saying that he is. I like that he has a nose for the net, size and that he likes to shoot the puck. Hopefully he takes his game to another level this year in Halifax.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Guy has a rocket, if he works on his skating as the #1 priority he will be an NHLer. #2 would be one timers given the centre depth on the big club. Can only do so much about HIQ and work ethic, hopefully being drafted in the second round stings his HFE (Heretical, French, Ego) I joke I’m French) enough that it pushes him harder.

He could be the next Pastrnak if it all comes together.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Certain skills the Oilers need on the wing are in his toolset. It sounds like sink or swim time for his career will be how he personally views his father's methods of achieving success.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I know it's just a highlight package, but damn does he looks exciting to watch. A wicked shot, good at driving the net, great at cleaning up garbage in front, etc.

Really hope this kid figures out his issues and turns out to be a solid top 9 player for us in a few years

Reactions: rickysusedsht

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
His U-18s from 2018 (he’s a 2000 birth year) are fun to watch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's one of those guys that could do well with McDavid. Good release, good hands in tight. He doesn't need to have the intensity to drive a line himself, but put him next to McDavid and like a Maroon, it will push him to have to keep up.

He can shoot the puck accurately, that's a huge thing.

He's one of those guys where the flaws in his game can be mitigated by letting his strengths shine with McDavid. Just get open and he will find you.

That's one of the things I see differently from Puljujarvi, Jesse doesn't have that kind of a shot, specifically the wrist shot, which is the shot you have to shoot like 80%+ of the time as a forward in the NHL.

Also for a "lazy" player, lol what would his numbers be if he wasn't "lazy". 20 goals in 23 playoff games, that'd be like 33 goals in 23 playoff games if he wasn't "lazy"? lol.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think he's one of those guys that could do well with McDavid. Good release, good hands in tight. He doesn't need to have the intensity to drive a line himself, but put him next to McDavid and like a Maroon, it will push him to have to keep up.

He's one of those guys where the flaws in his game can be mitigated by letting his strengths shine with McDavid. Just get open and he will find you.

That's one of the things I see differently from Puljujarvi, Jesse doesn't have that kind of a shot, specifically the wrist shot, which is the shot you have to shoot like 80%+ of the time as a forward in the NHL.

Also for a "lazy" player, lol what would his numbers be if he wasn't "lazy". 20 goals in 23 playoff games, that'd be like 33 goals in 23 playoff games if he wasn't "lazy"? lol.

I like the Maroon comparison/synergy with McDavid.

Lavieo
Benson
McLeod
Yamamoto
Maxismov

Our youngest and best chances at top 6 forwards.

I like all these prospects. Unfortunately all of them are "flawed" and like all prospects outside the top 5 to 10 of most drafts are bullets fired into the dark at a moving target.

Realistically 3 of 5 of those guys need to be successful for the Oilers to be successful in the next 2 to 4 years.

At least one of them a legit top 6er.

At least another of the top 9 variety.

At least one more an effective bottom 6 scorer.

While I have high hopes all of them become top 6ers math is working against us.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

His playoffs is where he put the effort in, even with a shoulder injury.

In the regular season he was lazy a lot. Apparently for some of his fans local, the frustration is he, if he wants to, can easily be the best forward in the Q. He just doesn't show it in the regular season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I also firmly believe that he is a guarenteed NHL player. His floor is probably a 3rd pairing scoring winger.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Agreed, his a very straightforward skillset that we need. Can win puck battles, can and likes to shoot the puck and can compliment skill. Hopefully between Maksimov and Lavoie we have at least 1 future 25-30 goal scorer.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I also firmly believe that he is a guarenteed NHL player. His floor is probably a 3rd pairing scoring winger.

Pump the brakes a bit, look at Puljujarvi or Yakupov for examples of "sure things" that crapped the bed. He needs to go down and dominate next season and then show well in the AHL before we can start talking about him being a sure bet.

Reactions: joestevens29

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don't think that he's as good of a skater as some are saying that he is. I like that he has a nose for the net, size and that he likes to shoot the puck. Hopefully he takes his game to another level this year in Halifax.

Seen him play many times live in Halifax. He has a powerful stride and that gets him away from defenders on his first stride. Its not quick, its powerful (if that makes any sense). He has a great set of hands and I seen him score a beauty this year in the end I was sitting. I think he will be a great addition to our 2nd unit PP in a few years.
I'm really surprised Oiler Brass selected a player from the Q. They seemed to stay away from them. They had a love affair with Oil Kings players and it cost us

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Was about to say this. How was Lavoie still on the table in 2nd round. Good pick!. I very seldom say that.

He is good. Seen him in rookie year with Mooseheads and he was turning heads. I think he will work out. Great pick at 38

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Why u figure and who did YOU want?

He is a slow skater, I have doubts about his decision making and generally he just does not look like a good player. Maybe he will develop well for few years and I will be wrong. I just don't see it happening.

Why do you think he is a good pick?

I haven't actually even checked who were available at our pick. I would have picked a forward (Caufield) with our first and a dman with our second. I am however starting to warm up for Broberg. He reminds me of a bigger Lidström.

If both guys work out then it is all good, even though I think Caufield will be special.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Guy has a rocket, if he works on his skating as the #1 priority he will be an NHLer. #2 would be one timers given the centre depth on the big club. Can only do so much about HIQ and work ethic, hopefully being drafted in the second round stings his HFE (Heretical, French, Ego) I joke I’m French) enough that it pushes him harder.

He could be the next Pastrnak if it all comes together.
Thought he was Canadian.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He is a slow skater, I have doubts about his decision making and generally he just does not look like a good player. Maybe he will develop well for few years and I will be wrong. I just don't see it happening.

Why do you think he is a good pick?

I haven't actually even checked who were available at our pick. I would have picked a forward (Caufield) with our first and a dman with our second. I am however starting to warm up for Broberg. He reminds me of a bigger Lidström.

If both guys work out then it is all good, even though I think Caufield will be special.

I think it was a good pick because it was at #38. I have seen Lavoie play many times, he is not slow. He has a very powerful stride. He will be a great option at #2 PP. He really lit it up during the QMJHL playoffs and was the leading scorer. He looked great in the Mem Cup as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it was a good pick because it was at #38. I have seen Lavoie play many times, he is not slow. He has a very powerful stride. He will be a great option at #2 PP. He really lit it up during the QMJHL playoffs and was the leading scorer. He looked great in the Mem Cup as well
What do you think he should work on and what caused him to fall? I'm just catching up and if you actually seen him play then your opinion would be very welcomed

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
What do you think he should work on and what caused him to fall? I'm just catching up and if you actually seen him play then your opinion would be very welcomed

I live 1.5 hrs from Halifax so I attend games and I went to the Mem Cup. One knock against him was he doesn’t show up for all games. Sometimes he can get you outta your seat and other times he didn’t. Personally , I found he looked good every time. This along with his late birthday caused his stock to fall.
When the stage mattered, he showed up and that’s what matters to me. He had a great QMJHL playoffs with the Mooseheads and looked really good in the Mem Cup. He displays a great set of hands, powerful stride, and can play the wing or Center. He is 6’4” and 199 lbs so he could become a powerful forward.
He will probably be traded from Halifax this year to a contending team. Hopefully Lavoie has a good camp and silences the critics. Sounds like they were out in full force after this draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad