2019 Draft: 2nd Pick: Raphael Lavoie

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think it was a good pick because it was at #38. I have seen Lavoie play many times, he is not slow. He has a very powerful stride. He will be a great option at #2 PP. He really lit it up during the QMJHL playoffs and was the leading scorer. He looked great in the Mem Cup as well

He was inside the top 25 on every list I saw. Unless he fails to get stronger and faster in the next couple of years its really hard to knock the pick. There were a lot of real gambles taken ahead of him and I like that he isn't raw where they love the tools but are hoping he improves his shooting. Nothing is guaranteed but I am thinking he is ready for prime time in two years.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Floor: Benoit Pouliot, Brad Isbister, Guillaume Latendresse
Middle: Eric Daze, Radek Bonk, Wayne Simmonds
Ceiling: Jeff Carter, Erik Staal, Mats Sundin, Jamie Benn, John LeClair

Keeping in mind he could be a W or C in the NHL.

Watch how his head and eyes move while he's on the ice. He is a very intelligent player. I'm generally quite pessimistic about most Oilers picks because of their track record, but this player looks like he's got serious NHL potential. Also looks like he has a lot of passion for the game. It's going to come down to his work ethic and desire, but the tools are absolutely there for him to become an impactful pro.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Floor: Benoit Pouliot, Brad Isbister, Guillaume Latendresse
Middle: Eric Daze, Radek Bonk, Wayne Simmonds
Ceiling: Jeff Carter, Erik Staal, Mats Sundin, Jamie Benn, John LeClair

Keeping in mind he could be a W or C in the NHL.

That’s a great ceiling of players. It’s a great option to have a fella who plays W or C

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have pretty similar feelings about this pick as I did McLeod.

Not sure I see a ton of upside, but I don't mind the pick since he's likely an NHLer in some capacity.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Wonder how he compares to our other 2nd round picks.
Lander, Benson, Pitlick, McLeod.

Slower Pitlick?
grittier Benson\McLeod with better shot?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Slower Pitlick?

Benson - v.good character/leadership, v.good hockey iq, v.good vision, v.good hands, good forechecker, good grit, good defensively, average size, average shot - average skating, injury issues in past
McLeod - v.good skater, v.good size, good shot, good defensively, good hockey iq, cons - plays perimeter game, lacks intensity
Lavoie - v.good shot, v.good hands, v.good size, good skater for size, good hockey iq, average defensive game?, cons- lacks intensity/compete?

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Benson - v.good character/leadership, v.good hockey iq, v.good vision, v.good hands, good forechecker, good grit, good defensively, average size, average shot - average skating, injury issues in past
McLeod - v.good skater, v.good size, v.good shot, good defensively, good hockey iq, cons - plays perimeter game, lacks intensity
Lavoie - v.good shot, v.good hands, v.good size, good skater for size, good hockey iq, average defensive game?, cons- lacks intensity/compete?

I think Lavoie's size and shot are both more than good.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Not sure I see a ton of upside, but I don't mind the pick since he's likely an NHLer in some capacity.

He has a lot more skill than McLeod. McLeod has decent vision but he mostly just skates around a lot. Lavoie has a very good shot and very good hands, two things McLeod doesn't possess. He also drives the net more based on what I've seen.

McLeod seems to play a more pro style game with his skating and defensive awareness while Lavoie seems more raw, more boom/bust than McLeod IMO.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
He has a lot more skill than McLeod. McLeod has decent vision but he mostly just skates around a lot. Lavoie has a very good shot and very good hands, two things McLeod doesn't possess. He also drives the net more based on what I've seen.

McLeod seems to play a more pro style game with his skating and defensive awareness while Lavoie seems more raw, more boom/bust than McLeod IMO.

Yep. I see McLeod becoming a solid 3C and Lavoie becoming a top-6 winger.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I don't really see much more than average NHL skill in Lavoie. Like McLeod, I'd say he's a smart player with one plus skill(shot for Lavoie, skating for McLeod) and fairly average at everything else.

I also think he's more advanced(physically and fundamentally) than he is raw.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hopefully he builds upon his dominance in playoffs and crosses the 100pt mark for Halifax next year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't really see the similarities to McLeod aside from him being a projected 1st rounder who fell due to intensity concerns. Lavoie attacks the middle of the ice far more than McLeod and will go to the dirty areas to score. I think you're underestimating Lavoie if his shot is the only aspect of his game that your see as above average. He has a filthy set of hands and on several occasions I have seen him absolutely walk through a defence with them. He also has really soft hands around the net for redirections and for burying rebounds. His puck protection game is also very strong, and once he gets moving he is a lot like Draisaitl in that he's a bull that is hard to get the puck off of. He's not without flaws, but his size/strength, shot, hands, and skating combo project very well at the next level imo.

I also think he's much better suited for the wing, and will almost without a doubt play wing in the NHL. I like that he shows up in big games and big moments. He had some crazy number of GWG and overtime goals over the past two seasons, he showed up big at the U18's for Canada, and he showed up in the playoffs. I also thought his stat line at the Mem Cup was not very reflective of his play. He was flat out the best player on the ice in a couple of the games I watched.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't really see much more than average NHL skill in Lavoie. Like McLeod, I'd say he's a smart player with one plus skill(shot for Lavoie, skating for McLeod) and fairly average at everything else.

I also think he's more advanced(physically and fundamentally) than he is raw.

We're going to agree to disagree on this. I don't see many similarities at all between the two.
One is a safe, swift skating, defensively responsible player who plays on the perimeter while the other is an average skating, pretty dynamic skilled player who likes to play closer to the net and has weaknesses away from the puck.

IMO, McLeod was the safe pick, this was a boom/bust pick.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
All I can say is I love where this organization is headed with the amateur scouting. This pick is a million times better then a guy like Moroz. Not even the same universe.

Absolutely. We are finally making all of our picks from the "has skill" bucket. Vs making a shocking amount of picks from the "coke machine with no skills" bucket. Most of these guys will be a crap shoot and hard to predict who will make it. But I like having more lottery picks with million dollar upside, vs us traditionally have $5 scratch cards to win $20

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Absolutely. We are finally making all of our picks from the "has skill" bucket. Vs making a shocking amount of picks from the "coke machine with no skills" bucket. Most of these guys will be a crap shoot and hard to predict who will make it. But I like having more lottery picks with million dollar upside, vs us traditionally have $5 scratch cards to win $20

Yep, pick guys based on upside not size. It’s great to see. Hopefully we can land a Debrincat or Girard at some point.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Best thing is with the Lavoie pick we got the skill and the coke machine, and not the typical "I hope Moroz can be like prime Lucic" pick.

Reactions: McCanovin

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Slower Pitlick?
If I were ranking the recent 2nd round forwards based on draft day potential I’d go:

1. Benson
2. Lavoie
3. McLeod
4. Lander
5. Pitlick
6. Roy
7. Moroz

Benson is the top since I feel the only reason he was available was the injuries, I don’t see any big holes in his game. Lavoie over McLeod as I feel his ceiling is higher, McLeod might have a higher floor though. Lander over Pitlick based on position, felt they were both going to be third liners but center over winger. Wasn’t a fan of Roy or Moroz at all, very low upside picks.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Guaranteed NHLer? That's pretty bold. I thought Curtis Hamilton and Lander would be sure-fire NHL regulars so I've since given up on those kinds of predictions.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I like him a lot more than McLeod. Both big athletic specimens but Ryan lacks finish (like his brother) and that is a very hard thing to add to a skill set. I still like McLeod as a 2nd rounder for the physical package but not sure he has a top 6 future. This year will be a huge one for Lavoie and we will get to see what he can add to his game in terms of speed and physicality. Some guys can keep pushing forward and others stop growing at 19-20. Since he is 2 years away I only need him to show further growth against his peers to make me content. He was an absolute gunslinger in the playoff run for Halifax behind only a 20 year old, and 12 points ahead of his best team mate, also a 20 year old. I think that speaks highly of his upside, plus, how big will he be at 21 and can he add a step or two? I know there is a long way to go but this guy has a bit more going on than Ryan McLeod.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
McLeod mildly disappointed in his draft+1 in that he didn't really improve on the stats from his draft year.

I think we'll see Lavoie put up some big numbers/show improvement year over year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McLeod mildly disappointed in his draft+1 in that he didn't really improve on the stats from his draft year.

I think we'll see Lavoie put up some big numbers/show improvement year over year.
It was really only disappointing looking at stats.

Did he put up the numbers we hoped? No.

But he still improved as a hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad