2019 Draft: 2nd Pick: Raphael Lavoie

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The kid has the potential to be our top prospect if he can build upon the last season.
50G \ 100Pts should be his target for next year ala Eberle in his draft+2 season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The only comparable I see between the two is the inconsistency aspect. Lavoie is far less physical than a prime Pouliot, and not as fast, but he plays a better puck protection game, has better hands, and a better shot. Stylistically I just see completely different players.

Im not sure off the top of my head who I like for a mediocre upside comparable for Lavoie, but I do like the Rick Nash comparison (stylistically) with Nash obviously being a better skater and possessing better hands.

As a top-end, that would obviously be awesome... unfortunately a "poor man's Nash" probably tops out as an AHL scorer. There aren't too many guys as slow as Nash who became something in the NHL... take away any of his talents and that big, slow, not-so-physical frame is more like an Isbister.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As a top-end, that would obviously be awesome... unfortunately a "poor man's Nash" probably tops out as an AHL scorer. There aren't too many guys as slow as Nash who became something in the NHL... take away any of his talents and that big, slow, not-so-physical frame is more like an Isbister.
We must have been watching a completely different player. Nash was a good skater in his prime years imo, especially at his size.

Anyways, I'm not concerned about Lavoie's skating. He gets around well for a guy his size. Exposiveness and agility could use some work, but I don't expect his skating to hold him back.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
20 goals in 23 playoff games is pretty nutso.

It's not like other guys on his team were scoring even close to that much either

Reactions: lakai17

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Might be the first line RW we thought Jesse would be (pick 4) but instead JP is the third line RW we think we should get with Lavoie pick (38th). If it's going like that, it only means how difficult drafting is (or hockey gods are trolling Oilers). o_O

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nash was never slow. Even when he retired he could still skate.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If I were ranking the recent 2nd round forwards based on draft day potential I’d go:

1. Benson
2. Lavoie
3. McLeod
4. Lander
5. Pitlick
6. Roy
7. Moroz

Benson is the top since I feel the only reason he was available was the injuries, I don’t see any big holes in his game. Lavoie over McLeod as I feel his ceiling is higher, McLeod might have a higher floor though. Lander over Pitlick based on position, felt they were both going to be third liners but center over winger. Wasn’t a fan of Roy or Moroz at all, very low upside picks.

So we can have a future 2nd line of projected 1st round guys that fell to the 2nd round

Benson McLeod Lavoie

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Rick Nash was a pretty smart NHL player. Lavoie doesnt even process scrimmages properly from what I saw during development camp.

I dont have high hopes for him and think he spends a considerable amount of time in the minors. I hope he lights up the Q this year and scores like 60 goals so we can have an valuable asset for the trade deadline next year.

Its not that hes a slow skater. He just doesnt move with conviction because he doesnt know where hes supposed to be or skate to most of the time.

McLeod is a better pick from a better draft and for sure an NHLer with 3rd line with top end 15 40p potential. Has tunnel vision and commits to what he wants to do and forces it instead of letting the play develop.

Im really, really high on Benson. I think he makes team out of training camp and plays at least 50 games even if he doesnt. His playmaking and board playing is unreal. Smart player who i assume made the most with of his injury time by watching and learning the pro game. I think him and Nuge are going to make sweet hockey love together.

Reactions: B33K33PING

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
What do you think his NHL upside is? What would you say currently keeps him from making the NHL besides a lack of experience?
His decision making under pressure takes a hit. At least till he starts figuring out the bigger leagues, it will affect his play since you get less time and space. Once he does, he has a wicked shot, size, skating. Top 6 forward would be my projection

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Now that I think about it, does James Neal work as a potential comparison?

In some sense yes. And that’s why I like this pick so much.
Neal has been leader type when he was younger. If Oilers utilize him better than Flames, he can be helpful for youths entering the big league.
On side note that 2005 draft is really interesting. It didn’t go so well for Calgary for example and other teams also came out almost empty handed (in hindsight).

History

2004-05: After being a third round (44th overall) pick by the Plymouth Whalers in the 2003 OHL Priority Selection, Neal joined the Whalers for his first full season. He was named to the CHL Top prospects game and played six games (1+1=2) for Canada at the World Juniors (U18). He scored 44 points in 67 games in his rookie season for the Whalers. Neal was selected in the 2nd round (33rd overall) by Dallas in 2005 NHL Draft.
2005-06: Neal broke not only the 20-goal mark in his second major junior season, but he also broke the 100-penalty minute mark. He further developed his rugged style of play and had a strong season as well as an outstanding playoffs. Neal scored nine goals and 16 points in 13 playoff games and was named the Whalers’ Playoff MVP.
2006-07: It proved to be a big year for Neal; he represented Canada in the 2007 World Juniors and won a gold medal, he was named a first-team OHL All-Star and was voted best body checker in the Western Conference in an OHL coaches’ poll. On top of all that, he led his Plymouth Whalers to an OHL championship. The Stars gave the Whitby-native an entry-level contract in October of 2006.
2007-08: Neal turned pro with the Iowa Stars (AHL) and had a productive year after a somewhat sluggish start and a midseason knee injury. Neal came back from the injury and notched 11 points in his next 13 games, and ended up with a very respectable 37 points in his first 62 professional games, which was enough to lead all Iowa rookies.
Talent Analysis

Neal is a power forward with a solid frame. He has excellent skills and a quick, blistering shot. He uses his body to protect the puck effectively and does great work along the boards. He uses his body well, both offensively and defensively. When he’s on his game, he can be counted on to do everything on the ice for his team, he can score, he can hit, he’ll even drop the gloves in some instances. He brings a strong two-way game and can sometimes impose his will on other teams. Neal brings leadership, great character and a strong team-first outlook.
Future

Neal is an offensively dynamic top-six forward capable of scoring 30-40 goals in a season.

Read more at Hockey's Future - James Neal

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In some sense yes. And that’s why I like this pick so much.
Neal has been leader type when he was younger. If Oilers utilize him better than Flames, he can be helpful for youths entering the big league.
On side note that 2005 draft is really interesting. It didn’t go so well for Calgary for example and other teams also came out almost empty handed (in hindsight).

History

2004-05: After being a third round (44th overall) pick by the Plymouth Whalers in the 2003 OHL Priority Selection, Neal joined the Whalers for his first full season. He was named to the CHL Top prospects game and played six games (1+1=2) for Canada at the World Juniors (U18). He scored 44 points in 67 games in his rookie season for the Whalers. Neal was selected in the 2nd round (33rd overall) by Dallas in 2005 NHL Draft.
2005-06: Neal broke not only the 20-goal mark in his second major junior season, but he also broke the 100-penalty minute mark. He further developed his rugged style of play and had a strong season as well as an outstanding playoffs. Neal scored nine goals and 16 points in 13 playoff games and was named the Whalers’ Playoff MVP.
2006-07: It proved to be a big year for Neal; he represented Canada in the 2007 World Juniors and won a gold medal, he was named a first-team OHL All-Star and was voted best body checker in the Western Conference in an OHL coaches’ poll. On top of all that, he led his Plymouth Whalers to an OHL championship. The Stars gave the Whitby-native an entry-level contract in October of 2006.
2007-08: Neal turned pro with the Iowa Stars (AHL) and had a productive year after a somewhat sluggish start and a midseason knee injury. Neal came back from the injury and notched 11 points in his next 13 games, and ended up with a very respectable 37 points in his first 62 professional games, which was enough to lead all Iowa rookies.
Talent Analysis

Neal is a power forward with a solid frame. He has excellent skills and a quick, blistering shot. He uses his body to protect the puck effectively and does great work along the boards. He uses his body well, both offensively and defensively. When he’s on his game, he can be counted on to do everything on the ice for his team, he can score, he can hit, he’ll even drop the gloves in some instances. He brings a strong two-way game and can sometimes impose his will on other teams. Neal brings leadership, great character and a strong team-first outlook.
Future

Neal is an offensively dynamic top-six forward capable of scoring 30-40 goals in a season.

Read more at Hockey's Future - James Neal

Power forward.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
18515276-021C-4C77-820D-9DE577AB5B6D.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad