2019 Draft: 2nd Pick: Raphael Lavoie

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
It was really only disappointing looking at stats.

Did he put up the numbers we hoped? No.

But he still improved as a hockey player.

I think people were looking for him to put up offense parallel to expectations which were set by his experience level, size, speed, and range of skills. He didn't take that step forward offensively. I can see Lavoie taking that step forward.

That being said, I think they are similar in that they play up to their competition, and also play better with better players. Benson is an example of this, same with McLeod.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We're going to agree to disagree on this. I don't see many similarities at all between the two.
One is a safe, swift skating, defensively responsible player who plays on the perimeter while the other is an average skating, pretty dynamic skilled player who likes to play closer to the net and has weaknesses away from the puck.

IMO, McLeod was the safe pick, this was a boom/bust pick.

I'm not comparing them stylistically. I just see two older, advanced prospects who have a good chance to be top 9 NHLers, but who also, IMO, lack the tools and makeup to be a star or high-end option.

From my viewings, Lavoie's defensive ability is actually one of the main things that jumped out at me. He was surprisingly good at it and I think they used him on the PK a bunch. On the flip side, I was surprised at how much of a north-south player he was. Very much a "shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy. Lots of times he'd just throw low dangers shots on the net without even thinking about looking for passing options.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm a fan of the pick. I just think he likely ends up a good complementary top6/top9 winger which I'd say is a pretty solid return on a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Faelko

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not comparing them stylistically. I just see two older, advanced prospects who have a good chance to be top 9 NHLers, but who also, IMO, lack the tools and makeup to be a star or high-end option.

From my viewings, Lavoie's defensive ability is actually one of the main things that jumped out at me. He was surprisingly good at it and I think they used him on the PK a bunch. On the flip side, I was surprised at how much of a north-south player he was. Very much a "shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy. Lots of times he'd just throw low dangers shots on the net without even thinking about looking for passing options.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm a fan of the pick. I just think he likely ends up a good complementary top6/top9 winger which I'd say is a pretty solid return on a 2nd round pick.
Agreed. I see him as a solid middle 6 winger. Whose career numbers float in the 40-50 point range a year.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
How good are the Mooseheads projected to be next year? I know they hosted the Memorial Cup, so did they load up or can they make another run?

They had a few over age players so they will be gone. I can’t see them making another run because Moncton will be strong. They won’t be down long though. Halifax is turning into quite a force in junior hockey in Canada. The place holds 10000 and they draw very well and players really like it there . It is a college city and the city is really growing with the Naval Contract

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hope he works out the motivation issues, otherwise we have Pouliot 2.0

The funny thing is Pouliot had some of the best chemistry I've seen with McDavid.

I don't think his game is really Pouliot like though. Lavoie looks more like a lighter/faster Patrick Maroon with a way better shot release and some dangles but without the physical aspect.

I think if he pans out he can be more of like a Patrick Maroon, but he's not a guy you put on the 3rd line, he's gonna need to be pushed by McDavid and/or Draisaitl, but in that he can do some real damage.

The other thing I noticed in his highlights is he goes directly to the net a lot. Which is a great knack far too many forwards don't have. There's a bunch of goals he gets by simply going directly to the net, Maroon did that a lot too. You don't need to skate 1000 mph if your natural affinity is to gravitate directly towards the best scoring area on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbythebrain

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
McLeod couldn't average a PPG in his D+1 season on a pretty great team.

I think he'll have an NHL career but more as a poor man's Cogliano. Definitely a roster player but would be shocked if he's top 6.

Lavoie's upside to me is Rick Nash.

I know people talk about work ethic so we'll see. But not every kid is Crosby or McDavid.

I sure as shoot wasn't super reliable when I was 18.

He's going to get some taste of the bigs at training camp this year and then we'll see.

I think he's definitely got the body and the skill, we'll see if he can understand he can't take anymore days off in the NHL.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jay Woodcroft was saying Lavoie's shot is really impressive at the orientation camp, the media guy talking to him mentioned he was picking corners like it was nothing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
During his media scrum today a reporter said that Hitch said that he could score 60 in the Q next year, Lavoie said "if he says it's true, I guess it's true" or something along those lines.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Jay Woodcroft was saying Lavoie's shot is really impressive at the orientation camp, the media guy talking to him mentioned he was picking corners like it was nothing.

He has a great set of hands. I seen him escape 2 guys and bury one upstairs in Mem Cup shorthanded. I actually think we got the steal of the draft in this fella. He can shoot.

Everyone was on Holland to draft one of the Americans from the development program. Time will tell , but it could be a case of Hughes making other players look really good. I compare it to Patrick Kane in 2007. Gagner might have benefited from Kane. Kane went #1 and we took Gagner at 6. Hard to believe we had three 1st Rd picks that year. I strongly believe that is where we really started going down hill

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They had a few over age players so they will be gone. I can’t see them making another run because Moncton will be strong. They won’t be down long though. Halifax is turning into quite a force in junior hockey in Canada. The place holds 10000 and they draw very well and players really like it there . It is a college city and the city is really growing with the Naval Contract

Plus it’s one of Canada’s nicest cities w the nicest people.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Lavoie looks more like a lighter/faster Patrick Maroon with a way better shot release and some dangles but without the physical aspect.
o_O
PM is heavy, Lavoie is light
PM is slow, Lavoie is faster
PM has a slow release, Lavoie has a fast release
PM is physical, Lavoie is not physical

... sooo.... how are they alike? :sarcasm:

Just joshing with you, but I found that post :huh:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
. On the flip side, I was surprised at how much of a north-south player he was. Very much a "shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy. Lots of times he'd just throw low dangers shots on the net without even thinking about looking for passing options..

Oilers could really use a couple of those guys. They have too many players that try to pass it into the net.

Why did this guy fall?

Seems like he has all the tools

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep... I'm good with a prime Pouliot 2.0.
The only comparable I see between the two is the inconsistency aspect. Lavoie is far less physical than a prime Pouliot, and not as fast, but he plays a better puck protection game, has better hands, and a better shot. Stylistically I just see completely different players.

Im not sure off the top of my head who I like for a mediocre upside comparable for Lavoie, but I do like the Rick Nash comparison (stylistically) with Nash obviously being a better skater and possessing better hands.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers could really use a couple of those guys. They have too many players that try to pass it into the net.

Why did this guy fall?

Seems like he has all the tools
Luckily they have a few of those now with Lavoie and Maksimov coming, as well as Bouchard on D who loves to shoot, and I think they will try to push Yamamoto into becoming more of a shoot first type of player. Guys like Benson, Marody, McLeod will always be pass first guys because its their major strength.

He fell because he doesn't always look like he's fully engaged and can go through stretches where he looks disinterested. Consistency is the major reason he fell, but believe me when I say that if he ever finds consistency he was a top 15 talent in this draft. When he is on his game he is absolutely dominant and takes over games. The fact that he ramped up his play in the playoffs/memorial cup after Halifax crapped the bed to go down 2-0 in the first series that they were heavily favoured in, is a good sign that if you challenge him he will respond and he will show up when it matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad