2019 Draft: 2nd Pick: Raphael Lavoie

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I was reading through the Lavoie thread on the prospect board and this post caught my eye about that. About halfway through his playoff run, prior to him injuring his shoulder:

@Tube Skates do you think he's better on his offwing? Reading through the thread on the prospects board he seemed to pick it back up after reportedly playing a stretch at LW on the top line. And when you look at him cutting through defense and scoring pretty highlight reel goals it looks to be cutting in from the LW
He plays mostly LW. He starts most plays from the defensive zone on the right side with feeds from whoever gets a loose puck. He carries the puck better up the middle in open ice where he gains speed. Plays LW short handed. Plays LW/ Point on the PP

Reactions: Soli

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Just watching the Bob green draft wrap up and he mentioned Lavoie being able to play in the AHL next year. I though he would need to play one more year in the Q. Anyone have any insight on this??

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Just watching the Bob green draft wrap up and he mentioned Lavoie being able to play in the AHL next year. I though he would need to play one more year in the Q. Anyone have any insight on this??

I think he is saying the season after this one. Won't need to play his draft +2 season in the Q. Will be like yammamoto in that regard

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I think he is saying the season after this one. Won't need to play his draft +2 season in the Q. Will be like yammamoto in that regard

That's what I figured, it would be the same as yamo and bouch. He clearly said next year in his interview so maybe he just misspoke.

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Don't like this pick. The last thing the Oilers need is another entitled and lazy player. Just another piece to add to the problematic attitude within the organization.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
And? Scoring empty netters seals a game. In the playoffs when things are tight and close that's incredibly important. Remember how we lost to Anaheim in overtime that one game? A single empty better would of prevented that from happening.

That also shows he is the guy the coach wants out there in the last minute of the game.

Reactions: nabob

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't like this pick. The last thing the Oilers need is another entitled and lazy player. Just another piece to add to the problematic attitude within the organization.
Yup, we should have forfeited this pick :/

Name me one 'entitled' player on the Oilers not named Connor

Even with Jesse, half is lost in translation.

Reactions: nabob

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
So the book on this guy is basically that he's a big guy with skill, but has inconsistent effort, is not good defensively and doesn't use his size as often as you'd like?

So he's pretty much a recipe for how to make Oilers fan hate a player. Hope he pans out, because I can see this fanbase losing patience with him unreasonably fast with him if he has any struggles.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So the book on this guy is basically that he's a big guy with skill, but has inconsistent effort, is not good defensively and doesn't use his size as often as you'd like?

So he's pretty much a recipe for how to make Oilers fan hate a player. Hope he pans out, because I can see this fanbase losing patience with him unreasonably fast with him if he has any struggles.
Inconsistent effort makes all fan bases hate a player...

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Seems like he's very soft spoken and probably introverted. Often misconstrued as being awkward or disinterested. Probably why some old school scouts would think his interviews were poor. It's just a personality trait. His on ice skill looks really elite to me. Great pick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems like he's very soft spoken and probably introverted. Often misconstrued as being awkward or disinterested. Probably why some old school scouts would think his interviews were poor. It's just a personality trait. His on ice skill looks really elite to me. Great pick.
He is a guy you have to be patient with and will take a little longer to arrive than most first rounders. That scares some teams. They want guys sooner than later

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Can't believe in Mackenzie's projection. Funny how Erik Karlsson was not the first pick overall in his draft year and how did things go there?

I'm curious to see what the reaction was when Erik Karlsson was picked.
Then there are the reaches like Thomas Hickey by the NYI.

We need to give Keith Gretzky and Holland some time on their drafting. I think Broberg has all the tools to be the top three pick overall when HF does a 2019 redraft thread. Look at Draisaitl's year. All the redraft threads has him going first overall. It's not far-fetched or delusional to see Broberg go first overall in a redraft thread if we wait for things to pan out.
You could say the same thing about every other prospect in the draft you’ve been bashing.

Your posts are incredibly dumb.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Just temper expectations is all. I'm always happy with adding right shots to this organization as we constantly seem devoid of them. but he's got a lot of red flags to go with his green ones. Its all up to the player how far he goes. Hopefully he takes the drop to the second round as motivation because he's gotta find it within himself somehow

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

The problem that this team has is a lack of skill, not character. When I look at the core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Klef, RNH and Nurse they all seem to be team first guys doing anything they can to win. The depth players also seem to have great character, just not enough skill to get them over the hump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad