Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Realistically this kid is gonna take what, 5 years to pan out into a solid NHLer, if ever? I don't know if we have that much time to spare...

It's pretty rare for defensemen in the early 1st round to not be getting a cup of coffee by their third season after being drafted nowadays.

16 defensemen were drafted in the top 15 between 2018 and 2015. 14 were in the NHL by their third season and only one of them(Makar) wasn't in the NHL by their second season after the draft.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Realistically this kid is gonna take what, 5 years to pan out into a solid NHLer, if ever? I don't know if we have that much time to spare...
Realistically you have no idea how long this prospect will take to develop, nor do I. And as you added as well, if ever... but we should wait and see until he starts to play NA hockey. He reminds me of Klefbom, lots of raw talent when drafted. Personally I would have liked Zegras.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
So far, nobody wants to give us a good forward for larson. Larson is solid !

You never stockpile at defence when you have no forward prospects.

We have a multitude of options on defence right now. Keeping Bouchard in the ahl is great for development, and a luxury. How much stockpiling of bread in the cupboards, while having no peanut butter or jam to put on bread is gonna help you ? You need a balanced diet to survive....
Why the fick would you trade Larson? Resign him!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
you’re the one completely making things up. Can you show me anything besides HF junk that states Larsson trades have not happened because he has no value? Can you even show one article that shows he has been made available in a trade? Can you post anything besides childish rant about PB&J sammiches?
We cant afford to trade Larson. We have nobody to replace him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We cant afford to trade Larson. We have nobody to replace him.

totally agree. That’s why I’m questioning a poster who has said there have been multiple attempts by Holland to trade Larsson but his value is too low to trade. Larsson was an absolute monster during his first year and playoff run here. If we make the playoffs he’s the exact kind of defender we need.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Howson on Oilers Now yesterday, outright saying Broberg is likely not going to be a big time scorer in the NHL, and his comparable? None other than Darnell Nurse.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Howson on Oilers Now yesterday, outright saying Broberg is likely not going to be a big time scorer in the NHL, and his comparable? None other than Darnell Nurse.
If people here are disappointed in Larsson..wait until they check out Broberg. He is a faster , but lesser player then Adam Larsson in every way. It was a dumb pick. Time will prove this.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

If this is the case then why did they pick him?

Did Howson say that they expected this when Broberg was drafted or do they say this now and had different expectations at draft time?

EDIT: If this was his projected upside at draft time then why leave all the offense (and the Knight goalie) on the board? If Nurse upside is all they were looking at then why not take Soderstrom who has that same upside and was a safer pick (and shoots right) at the time?

EDIT: This is misdirection by the Oilers. You damn well bet that they viewed Broberg as having more upside than Nurse when Broberg was drafted. Expectations now seem to be a changing only 6 months post draft. I wonder who led the charge to draft Broberg? Was it Holland, Gretzky or Greene (he was still in charge as of the 2019 draft I think)?

Last edited:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
what a clown
hasn't even stepped foot on north american ice officially yet and this is what he says
better to not say anything
Yeah, I don't understand this quote at all. Why would you put a limit on a player you drafted as a rep of the organization, especially one that seems to contradict the reasoning the org picked him as being raw and having high potential.

If they really thought this when drafting him, they have absolutely no excuse for drafting a Dman over a forward. If this is new information based on his production overseas, we've seen time and time again that predicting NHL totals based on 18 year old SEL totals is a longshot at best, so you'd be best off not saying anything and letting the fans be optimistic even if you're not.

Overall it seems like one of those dumb things the oilers organization can't help but say every time they're put in front of a mic.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Oh lawd.

That's who I was thinking of when I saw him, but I was hoping the organization saw something more in him to take him that high.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Oh lawd.

That's who I was thinking of when I saw him, but I was hoping the organization saw something more in him to take him that high.

Darnell Nurse without the physicality is not someone a team should be drafting when they're desperate for offensive help in the NHL and in the pipeline. The fact that he even said that has me steaming right now. It's one thing to be trying to outsmart the rest of the teams at the draft because you think he can become a number 1 Dman in time, but to go with an off the board dman pick in the oilers positin where the upside is hopefully one day as good as Nurse, is absolutely bonkers.

Reactions: gordonhught

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Oh lawd.

His pre-draft highlights showed him skating the puck down the ice just like Nurse. You sure could see that comparison then.

But I thought there was common thinking that Broberg had better offensive instincts. That has yet to be shown.

If anything, Broberg seems to be a better defender than Nurse but without the physical game.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Darnell Nurse without the physicality is not someone a team should be drafting when they're desperate for offensive help in the NHL and in the pipeline. The fact that he even said that has me steaming right now. It's one thing to be trying to outsmart the rest of the teams at the draft because you think he can become a number 1 Dman in time, but to go with an off the board dman pick in the oilers positin where the upside is hopefully one day as good as Nurse, is absolutely bonkers.

If the Oilers braintrust was still thinking that Broberg was going to be a clear first pair defender with offense, then I would still be wait and see.

But for them now to say that Broberg essentially a Nurse type player (only half a year post draft), then it makes passing on Zegras, Caufield, Krebs, Podkolzin, Soderstrom, and Knight look really foolish.

Like, at least take Soderstrom. At least he shoots right.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The one saving grace is that it’s Howson. You can’t believe anything he says, half the time it’s wrong or a lie.

Reactions: KYams17

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He will be uber lucky to be Nurse offensively. He is going to be adma larsson like offensively.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He will be uber lucky to be Nurse offensively. He is going to be adma larsson like offensively.

Except Larsson can play a physical game. At least he has that. Without any offense, I am not sure what Broberg is supposed to be.

Average offense. Not a physical player. Shoots left. Decent size. Can skate well.

Can Broberg make a breakout pass? I have not watched enough recently to comment on that.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Funny reactions to the comment.

Darnell Nurse is a 35-40pt (even without PP time), mobile, two-way defender. He was picked #7 overall.

I'll take that at #8 overall too.

Sure. You take that type of player late in the first round. But not at 8 when there are better players available. Oilers reached on this player supposedly based on him having untapped offense. Now it is disclosed that the belief is that Broberg has average offensive upside.

Oilers need offense from the back end in a big way. Offensive D men are who you draft in the top 10.

Also do not forget that Darnell plays mostly with McDrai (earlier in the season) and McDavid now. Nurse is not a driver on defense. Nurse is 53 for points in the entire league for Dmen.

You would think you could do better than that with a top 8 pick.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Funny reactions to the comment.

Darnell Nurse is a 35-40pt (even without PP time), mobile, two-way defender. He was picked #7 overall.

I'll take that at #8 overall too.

this. You take that all day long. Could be a great compliment to Bouchard.

Its awesome to see how people react to being bored due to the Oilers having a break on the schedule. Puljujarvi threads get bumped so posters can rant about him, Broberg threads get bumped so people can vent. Nothing has changed with those players in the last two weeks lol, just seems that some posters need to vent about something and if it can’t be a game the Oilers played they find something else to go off about :laugh:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sure. You take that type of player late in the first round. But not at 8 when there are better players available. Oilers reached on this player supposedly based on him having untapped offense. Now it is disclosed that the belief is that Broberg has average offensive upside.

Oilers need offense from the back end in a big way. Offensive D men are who you draft in the top 10.

Also do not forget that Darnell plays mostly with McDrai (earlier in the season) and McDavid now. Nurse is not a driver on defense. Nurse is 53 for points in the entire league for Dmen.

You would think you could do better than that with a top 8 pick.

53rd for points by Dmen in the entire league while getting next to no PP time? ...that’s a negative thing? If you get a guy putting up top pairing numbers with a top 8 pick, you should be quite happy with that.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I was on the Brobbie train when the Oilers grabbed him, but I hafta admit, it’s kind of looking like a bit of a bummer pick.
Soderstrom is kind of blowing him away in comparison. Then you have Caulfield and Zegras lighting it up and Knight looking like a franchise fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad