Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Funny reactions to the comment.

Darnell Nurse is a 35-40pt (even without PP time), mobile, two-way defender. He was picked #7 overall.

I'll take that at #8 overall too.
Well when we have nurse, klefbom, bouchard coming up, samorukov who we have hopes for, Bear and pretty well zero potential top 6 prospects of note it's a dubious pick. He has to be a better contributor than the forwards from that draft.

Reactions: gordonhught

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You don't take a Dman in the top 10 unless he is Dougie Hamilton.

The Oilers desperately need points from the D just as much as they needs points from the bottom six. Why take a non-offensive D man in the top ten when you could potentially have a top line forward in Zegras. The whole thing makes no sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that the Oilers figured that Broberg was an untapped offensive juggernaut when they drafted him. Using a #8 pick on that player would be a justifiable risk. My point is that if all he was projected to be (back at draft time) was a Nurse type defenseman, then they made an error in picking that player when there were a bunch of good forwards available.

If they picked Broberg thinking he only had the ceiling of a Nurse type player (bear in mind that Broberg is not physical) then the Oilers botched the pick based on what else was available at the time.

I am curious what the Oilers thought of the player back at the time of the draft.

So you think that Nurse was a bad pick? They picked him even higher.
If you're getting a Nurse level player at 8, you've done pretty well. Most players picked in that range are not going to be franchise Dmen. Top 3 is a different story, you need to get a Dman with franchise upside if you're picking in that range.
Also, I see you mentioned guys like Boldy and Podkolzin as missed opportunities. Boldy has 6 points in 20 games and Podkolzin can't score at any level.

I'm not a fan of the Broberg pick but I don't see how anybody can make absolute statements about a 18 year old kid playing in a mens' league. Look at how long it took Klefbom and Nurse to establish themselves as NHL Dmen, 4-5 years, so it's going to be a long time before we know what Broberg is.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wasnt a fan of the pick at the time. Not sure it really looks any better. Too early to tell.

I am not going to slag Broberg, because I hope he does work out.

I was personally hoping for Zegras because we dont/didnt have much for forward prospects. Only thing, I wonder is that the Oilers are scared to draft US development prospects, because they may not want to play here long term. If thats the case I do understand it.

Not sure whos idea it was to draft Broberg. Dont know if it was Hollands or Green/Howson/Gretzky etc. Detroit went off the board so Tyler Wright/Detroit didnt love the remaining US kids either.

It has been mentioned that the USA Hockey home rink is in Plymouth Michigan and that Holland is quite familiar with that group. He was also in Europe seeing Broberg play while still a member of the Wings organization. I would be surprised if he wasn't involved heavily in the selection, so if there is a bias it would be his own. I think he would have an extreme level of confidence that whomever he selected would play for them.

I am not really familiar with the USDT class of 2019 but I have heard it said their collective level of skill is much greater than their compete which is a comment you will often hear about prep school stars. Money families = lack of desperation to succeed is the theory I guess which seems like a ridiculous generalization but it may be true sometimes. You would have to think he sees a lot more offense than what Broberg has shown so far.

Even though he is a pygmy I probably would have taken Caulfield over Zegras just for the potential goalscoring upside. Zegras makes me think RNH which would still be a huge win, but they already have one.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You don’t think that egg head is just saying that to temper expectations?... he’s 17 years old I don’t even think he’s 18 :laugh: I will never understand this fan base. Hated Gilbert. Hated Petry and then cried in their pillows about him. Hated Schultz then cried in their pillows about him. For some reason hate Nurse even though he scored 41 points last year and is on pace for 35+ points.... and some are thinking of trading him as well (then will end up crying about him). Now will most likely start to hate Broberg before he’s turned 19 and has stepped foot on NA ice

No slight against Nurse. I'd say I'm pretty obviously a big Nurse fan haha.

Just when we drafted Nurse I think we expected a bit more out of him, so it's a little disappointing to now talk about Broberg as a Nurse and not the #1D we were hoping Nurse would become back when he was Broberg's age.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Just when we drafted Nurse I think we expected a bit more out of him, so it's a little disappointing to now talk about Broberg as a Nurse and not the #1D we were hoping Nurse would become back when he was Broberg's age.
Especially when we don't need a guy to slot below Nurse but above him. Especially with a top 10 pick

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Especially when we don't need a guy to slot below Nurse but above him. Especially with a top 10 pick
How do we know Broberg would slot in under Nurse? I guess when Erik Karlsson was picked, everyone knew he was going to be that top pairing D. Funny how more than half the teams in the NHL passed on him. What is even scarier is that Shea Weber wasn't even picked in the first round and somehow was gifted a roster spot on team canada. At least that is how it sounds like here in this forum. It is crazy how a top pair needs to be picked in the top 3 in a draft to be a true top pairing.

Broberg is far from being a finished product. I think you guys need to chill out and wait 5 years to really see what we got. I'd be worried if 4 yrs after his draft and he is looking like Olli Juolevi.

Reactions: GOilers88

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Who said Broberg is not the #1D we were hoping Nurse would become.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How do we know Broberg would slot in under Nurse? I guess when Erik Karlsson was picked, everyone knew he was going to be that top pairing D. Funny how more than half the teams in the NHL passed on him. What is even scarier is that Shea Weber wasn't even picked in the first round and somehow was gifted a roster spot on team canada. At least that is how it sounds like here in this forum. It is crazy how a top pair needs to be picked in the top 3 in a draft to be a true top pairing.

Broberg is far from being a finished product. I think you guys need to chill out and wait 5 years to really see what we got. I'd be worried if 4 yrs after his draft and he is looking like Olli Juolevi.
We are literally talking about about an Oiler staff member saying they see him becoming Darnel Nurse, like that's not his ceiling. We are debating how if that's how they truly saw him how even more baffling the pick was.

I'd bet good money on Broberg not even being half the player Karlsson is

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Defensemen take a long time to develop. I'm not too worried about him.
That's very true. However when you pick a guy top 10 you are hoping it doesn't take him a long time to develop. Especially when you are trying to contend

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
you said top 10...

What if Bouchard is putting up 60-70 points and Broberg 35 being the defensive conscience of the best pairing in the league...is it still a terrible pick.
If things work out like this then fine. But you have to then assume that Bouchard gets those points and broberg gets his.

And this happens before 5 years from now.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
We are literally talking about about an Oiler staff member saying they see him becoming Darnel Nurse, like that's not his ceiling. We are debating how if that's how they truly saw him how even more baffling the pick was.

I'd bet good money on Broberg not even being half the player Karlsson is
Too bad we can't turn back the clock when Karlsson was drafted. You could have lost a hefty sum by betting that Karlsson would not become half the player that Eric Brewer was. I guess your crystal ball is telling you everything. Karlsson when drafted was a lesser player than Broberg is at the same age.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Why are you saying he’s average at offence and not physical when you haven’t even seen him play? You don’t even know if he can make a breakout pass LOL. 75% of this board thought Yamamoto was a bust but now are kissing his butt
I watched him play every game last summer

I did not watch any world juniors

don’t get me wrong - I really want the player to succeed - but I wonder what the organization was thinking if they drafted broberg expecting him to have only nurse like upside

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Too bad we can't turn back the clock when Karlsson was drafted. You could have lost a hefty sum by betting that Karlsson would not become half the player that Eric Brewer was. I guess your crystal ball is telling you everything. Karlsson when drafted was a lesser player than Broberg is at the same age.
Karlsson was a better player at 18 than Broberg is

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If, in the next 5 to 6 years, Zegras or Caufield have shown they are game breaking talents consistently and Broberg is like Nurse (which I personally wouldn't complain about), then you guys are free to throw a fit.

But until any of these kids have played in the league for a few years, complaining about the pick is really just pointless whining.

So far I don't see Zegras or Caufield doing anything of note in the NHL, so they're no better or worse of a selection than Broberg regardless of what you think.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So you think that Nurse was a bad pick? They picked him even higher.
If you're getting a Nurse level player at 8, you've done pretty well. Most players picked in that range are not going to be franchise Dmen. Top 3 is a different story, you need to get a Dman with franchise upside if you're picking in that range.
Also, I see you mentioned guys like Boldy and Podkolzin as missed opportunities. Boldy has 6 points in 20 games and Podkolzin can't score at any level.

I'm not a fan of the Broberg pick but I don't see how anybody can make absolute statements about a 18 year old kid playing in a mens' league. Look at how long it took Klefbom and Nurse to establish themselves as NHL Dmen, 4-5 years, so it's going to be a long time before we know what Broberg is.

when nurse was picked they expected him to be a better offensive player than he has turned out to be

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Nurse never gave any indication based on his play and skillset that he had #1 upside. The only people who thought that was fans who had unrealistic expectations.

Not every Dman that is big and can skate has #1 upside. I'd say that Nurse is fulfilling expectations and has actually exceeded them offensively.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
when nurse was picked they expected him to be a better offensive player than he has turned out to be
He hardly gets any PP time and is looking like a solid 35-40 point guy who can skate and bring a solid physical game. If you expect more out of the #7 or #8 pick that's on you. In no way has he been a disappointment.

Whats disappointing about Nurse is that just like Petry, the guy finally develops into a solid player and an unfortunately vocal portion of the fanbase wants to trade him and start over again.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Hockey News 2008 Mock Draft - TheHockeyNews

And Luca Sbisa and colton teubert were the better players at 18 than Karlsson. How did that turn out?

I guess we should have traded down to the 15th pick and take a weaker D since a 15th pick can net a better player than a top 10 pick.
I mean yeah, Broberg could be a good pick, maybe.

However at the time it was questionable, right now it doesn't look any better, and the org is saying his upside is Nurse?

That's a giant wtf there.

Yes he could become better than Nurse or incredible. But definitely not on a good path.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He hardly gets any PP time and is looking like a solid 35-40 point guy who can skate and bring a solid physical game. If you expect more out of the #7 or #8 pick that's on you. In no way has he been a disappointment.

Whats disappointing about Nurse is that just like Petry, the guy finally develops into a solid player and an unfortunately vocal portion of the fanbase wants to trade him and start over again.
No one with half a brain wants to trade Nurse. However of the rumor of him wanting like 7mill as a contract is true, he isn't worth that, not even close. So trading him might HAVE to be done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad