Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
So from what I have read here, we should come with pitch forks and chase that kid out of town before he gets here. To hell with developing within! If the player is not the second coming of Connor McDavid he is not good enough to play here!

Or we could accept the fact that this kid has not even played a game for us, is quietly developing away from this weird fishbowl and let him become a top 4 defender for our team.

WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS YET.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
53rd for points by Dmen in the entire league while getting next to no PP time? ...that’s a negative thing? If you get a guy putting up top pairing numbers with a top 8 pick, you should be quite happy with that.

You don't take a Dman in the top 10 unless he is Dougie Hamilton.

The Oilers desperately need points from the D just as much as they needs points from the bottom six. Why take a non-offensive D man in the top ten when you could potentially have a top line forward in Zegras. The whole thing makes no sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that the Oilers figured that Broberg was an untapped offensive juggernaut when they drafted him. Using a #8 pick on that player would be a justifiable risk. My point is that if all he was projected to be (back at draft time) was a Nurse type defenseman, then they made an error in picking that player when there were a bunch of good forwards available.

If they picked Broberg thinking he only had the ceiling of a Nurse type player (bear in mind that Broberg is not physical) then the Oilers botched the pick based on what else was available at the time.

I am curious what the Oilers thought of the player back at the time of the draft.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So from what I have read here, we should come with pitch forks and chase that kid out of town before he gets here. To hell with developing within! If the player is not the second coming of Connor McDavid he is not good enough to play here!

Or we could accept the fact that this kid has not even played a game for us, is quietly developing away from this weird fishbowl and let him become a top 4 defender for our team.

Nothing against Broberg, but if the Oilers drafted him at 8 thinking he would be a "top 4 defender", then the Oilers made a mistake taking him that high.

If all the Oilers wanted was a top 4 defender, then they should have traded down and picked up Heinola or Soderstrom or Bjornfot or Harley or York. They probably could have added a second round pick by trading back.

Nope. The Oilers saw something in Broberg that warranted picking him that high. My guess is that what they thought Broberg was going to be (at the draft) is not now what they think he is going to be (6 months later).

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

I think a lot of people accept that we won't know who he is until he plays on NA ice at least, but with a member of the organization coming out and putting a pretty low ceiling on him compared to what we were told around the draft, people are obviously going to get the pitchforks out.

Of course he can become a #1D man, but if the organization never thought so, why in the hell did they draft him over someone who could have slotted into our top 6 likely within a couple seasons and made an impact. Instead they went with a Dman who has an expected longer term development process, and they assume will max out at the level of a current second pairing Dman, minus one of the biggest part of his game, the toughness/physicality.

I think broberg is still a wildcard, and was a needlessly risky pick for an organization who had a clear need for up front talent, but was willing to accept the fact that the organization felt brobergs ceiling was higher than that of the forwards and could potentially become a game breaking Dman. Hearing now that they expect him to be a Nurse level defender is pretty much spitting in the face of every fan who gave the organization the benefit of the doubt when drafting a Dman.

Reactions: gordonhught

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nothing against Broberg, but if the Oilers drafted him at 8 thinking he would be a "top 4 defender", then the Oilers made a mistake taking him that high.

If all the Oilers wanted was a top 4 defender, then they should have traded down and picked up Heinola or Soderstrom or Bjornfot or Harley or York. They probably could have added a second round pick by trading back.

Nope. The Oilers saw something in Broberg that warranted picking him that high. My guess is that what they thought Broberg was going to be (at the draft) is not now what they think he is going to be (6 months later).

Draft picks unless it is a top 3(no guarentee there either) are a gamble.
Bitching and whining about the pick(for the record I did not like the pick, I thought we should draft a forward with it) when nobody knows exactly what the pick will be is useless.
Broberg has good wheels and has a very good head for the game.
If anyone on here can tell without a shadow of a doubt what a player will turn into then I reccomend getting a job as an NHL scout and you will be able to pick your salary because there is no scout in the history of the NHL that ever gets it 100% right.

Reactions: Double A RON

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You don't take a Dman in the top 10 unless he is Dougie Hamilton.

The Oilers desperately need points from the D just as much as they needs points from the bottom six. Why take a non-offensive D man in the top ten when you could potentially have a top line forward in Zegras. The whole thing makes no sense.

The only thing that makes sense is that the Oilers figured that Broberg was an untapped offensive juggernaut when they drafted him. Using a #8 pick on that player would be a justifiable risk. My point is that if all he was projected to be (back at draft time) was a Nurse type defenseman, then they made an error in picking that player when there were a bunch of good forwards available.

If they picked Broberg thinking he only had the ceiling of a Nurse type player (bear in mind that Broberg is not physical) then the Oilers botched the pick based on what else was available at the time.

I am curious what the Oilers thought of the player back at the time of the draft.

Since when is a 35-50 point Dman considered void of offensive talent?

Dougie is the standard that all Dmen are judged against now? Interesting. So you don’t draft the next Doughty or Hedman in the top 10?? Okie

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I think a lot of people accept that we won't know who he is until he plays on NA ice at least, but with a member of the organization coming out and putting a pretty low ceiling on him compared to what we were told around the draft, people are obviously going to get the pitchforks out.

Of course he can become a #1D man, but if the organization never thought so, why in the hell did they draft him over someone who could have slotted into our top 6 likely within a couple seasons and made an impact. Instead they went with a Dman who has an expected longer term development process, and they assume will max out at the level of a current second pairing Dman, minus one of the biggest part of his game, the toughness/physicality.

I think broberg is still a wildcard, and was a needlessly risky pick for an organization who had a clear need for up front talent, but was willing to accept the fact that the organization felt brobergs ceiling was higher than that of the forwards and could potentially become a game breaking Dman. Hearing now that they expect him to be a Nurse level defender is pretty much spitting in the face of every fan who gave the organization the benefit of the doubt when drafting a Dman.
And I mean the guy talking is Scott Howsen for gods sake.

Reactions: KYams17

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Since when is a 35-50 point Dman considered void of offensive talent?

Dougie is the standard that all Dmen are judged against now? Interesting. So you don’t draft the next Doughty or Hedman in the top 10?? Okie

I picked Dougie becuase Dougie was drafted in the same range as where Broberg was picked. Hedman and Doughty were top 3 picks. Apples and Oranges.

Sure. I am fine waiting 5-6 years for Broberg to put up 35 points (like Darnell did). We might still have Connor McDavid by then. Nurse was 25 when he first put up over 26 points (Broberg is now 18). I guess we will all be happy giving Broberg the same time to contribute to the team. By the time Broberg is 25 and putting up over 25 points (like Nurse but without the physical game), McDavid will be 30.

Last edited:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
And I mean the guy talking is Scott Howsen for gods sake.
Regardless of his past, he is the current director of player development, and anything he says can pretty safely be assumed to represent what the organization thinks of this player. Any member of the organization who has anything to do with scouting or development making a comment like this is incredibly discouraging.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Draft picks unless it is a top 3(no guarentee there either) are a gamble.
*****ing and whining about the pick(for the record I did not like the pick, I thought we should draft a forward with it) when nobody knows exactly what the pick will be is useless.
Broberg has good wheels and has a very good head for the game.
If anyone on here can tell without a shadow of a doubt what a player will turn into then I reccomend getting a job as an NHL scout and you will be able to pick your salary because there is no scout in the history of the NHL that ever gets it 100% right.

But why are you taking that gamble on a Dman when our prospect pool is full of them, and our forward prospect depth and NHL depth is abysmal, especially when the Dman picked was seen as a reach with who was left on the draft table?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
But why are you taking that gamble on a Dman when our prospect pool is full of them, and our forward prospect depth and NHL depth is abysmal, especially when the Dman picked was seen as a reach with who was left on the draft table?

Any answer I give you would be outright speculation but the guy in charge does have a pretty decent track record drafting Swedes.

Reactions: KYams17

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
this. You take that all day long. Could be a great compliment to Bouchard.

Its awesome to see how people react to being bored due to the Oilers having a break on the schedule. Puljujarvi threads get bumped so posters can rant about him, Broberg threads get bumped so people can vent. Nothing has changed with those players in the last two weeks lol, just seems that some posters need to vent about something and if it can’t be a game the Oilers played they find something else to go off about :laugh:

Well, to be faaaaaaaar, I bumped the thread because I thought the up to date evaluation of the Oilers own player development director was news.

Didn't really expect people to get so heated about it. Probably should have.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Any answer I give you would be outright speculation but the guy in charge does have a pretty decent track record drafting Swedes.

Yup. Drafted Lidstrom in the 3rd round. If anyone knew that Lidstrom was going to be Lidstrom back then, there is no way he gets drafted in the third round. Drafting Lidstrom was a bit of a lucky stroke.

Regardless, the guy in charge apparently thinks that Broberg will be like Nurse who should be ready to put up Nurse type numbers in about 5-6 years. Crafty drafting and player development if I do say so.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Well, to be faaaaaaaar, I bumped the thread because I thought the up to date evaluation of the Oilers own player development director was news.

Didn't really expect people to get so heated about it. Probably should have.

With no games being played, nothing wrong with revisiting last years draft. It was a contentious pick at the time.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Which was part of why I was more open to accepting that they saw something more than what most of the scouts and NHL teams saw when it came to drafting him over one of the forwards.
Unless you're implying that Howson has a different opinion than our current GM and decided to voice that personal opinion as a representative of the organization rather than the organizations thoughts?

No matter how you slice it, a representative of the oilers organization, especially one involved with player development, is not someone you want telling you that the off the board pick they made who they sold as a high ceiling gamble, doesn't actually have a high ceiling 6 months after the draft.

Reactions: gordonhught

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wasnt a fan of the pick at the time. Not sure it really looks any better. Too early to tell.

I am not going to slag Broberg, because I hope he does work out.

I was personally hoping for Zegras because we dont/didnt have much for forward prospects. Only thing, I wonder is that the Oilers are scared to draft US development prospects, because they may not want to play here long term. If thats the case I do understand it.

Not sure whos idea it was to draft Broberg. Dont know if it was Hollands or Green/Howson/Gretzky etc. Detroit went off the board so Tyler Wright/Detroit didnt love the remaining US kids either.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I picked Dougie becuase Dougie was drafted in the same range as where Broberg was picked. Hedman and Doughty were top 3 picks. Apples and Oranges.

Sure. I am fine waiting 5-6 years for Broberg to put up 35 points (like Darnell did). We might still have Connor McDavid by then. Nurse was 25 when he first put up over 26 points (Broberg is now 18). I guess we will all be happy giving Broberg the same time to contribute to the team. By the time Broberg is 25 and putting up over 25 points (like Nurse but without the physical game), McDavid will be 30.

you said top 10...

What if Bouchard is putting up 60-70 points and Broberg 35 being the defensive conscience of the best pairing in the league...is it still a terrible pick.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

That’s perfect timing for the next rebuild!

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yup. Oilers drafted Brodin (Broberg) when they could have drafted Zegras, Boldy, Soderstrom, York (offensive Dman), Caufield, Podkolzin or Knight.

I think Klefbom is the better comp. Brodin as I recall had higher two-way upside. He was talked about being the two-way top-pair and Klefbom being maybe a 2nd or lower pair D.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonas_brodin/

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-ne...rospect-profile-the-other-swedish-defenseman/

"Overall Oscar Klefbom is strong with the puck especially at a young age. With an average shot from the point, and good passing skills he should see his point totals increase while playing for Färjestad next year. He needs to work a little bit more on the offensive aspect of his game however, to take it to the next level.
Oscar Klefbom’s defensive game is his strong point this early in his career. He needs to improve his positioning, but has already mastered using his body as a strength. His strong skating has also helped the defensive aspects of his game. With his size he brings a good amount of grit and aggression to the game as well."

I still think we should have drafted Zegras though. Not interested in the other prospects you've listened... especially Caufield.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oh lawd.

That's who I was thinking of when I saw him, but I was hoping the organization saw something more in him to take him that high.
You don’t think that egg head is just saying that to temper expectations?... he’s 17 years old I don’t even think he’s 18 :laugh: I will never understand this fan base. Hated Gilbert. Hated Petry and then cried in their pillows about him. Hated Schultz then cried in their pillows about him. For some reason hate Nurse even though he scored 41 points last year and is on pace for 35+ points.... and some are thinking of trading him as well (then will end up crying about him). Now will most likely start to hate Broberg before he’s turned 19 and has stepped foot on NA ice

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Except Larsson can play a physical game. At least he has that. Without any offense, I am not sure what Broberg is supposed to be.

Average offense. Not a physical player. Shoots left. Decent size. Can skate well.

Can Broberg make a breakout pass? I have not watched enough recently to comment on that.
Why are you saying he’s average at offence and not physical when you haven’t even seen him play? You don’t even know if he can make a breakout pass LOL. 75% of this board thought Yamamoto was a bust but now are kissing his butt

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I will say this for Broberg: development is not linear, especially for d-men. And even moreso for raw toolsy type d-men like Broberg. Hedman looked lost offensively and trending towards being overrated for a top 5 pick until it suddenly all came together for him. Just because it has not all come together for Nurse, it doesn't mean Broberg will follow in the same developmental path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad