Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Frankly, it does not really matter. There is a player there or not. Should not matter if it is OHL or SHL next year.
@Rufus Aslegard

Well I agree on that.

My preferred route would have been 1 year SHL + 1 year AHL. I think that normally this is a good route, SHL play has value, especially in playing defense. But it'll be fine anyway.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man I really like that he just straight up said he isn't ready for the NHL. Usually guys like, my goal at main camp is to make the team etc. Broberg knows he has stuff to work on and seems willing to out work in. Wonder if that attitude really sold Holland on him.

He knows he has to get better, admits it and seems willing to listen to what is needed from him. Really nice to see

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
"If Boldy was the pick, I'd bet we hear almost nothing about Broberg. Works both ways. "

You think so? So when JP was picked, how much are we still hearing about Sergachev? Broberg was always the pick for the oilers and stauffer has been pumping his tires. TSN also reported that the oilers are high on broberg. I bet you if we picked Boldy, a couple years later, people will have a thread 'Our failure to go with the scouts - Sergachev and Broberg, what could have been.'

Reactions: nabob

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I trust the Swedish system of developing high calibre Dmen over any other system on the planet.
Over the likes of Pronger, Niedermayer, Coffey, Orr, Potvin, Doughty, Blake, Bourque and Pietrangelo?

Yzerman seems to trust the German system.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

It's completely uncomaparble, no NA defense prospect goes to Swe. In my opinion, Swe prospects have done very well staying a year or two in Swe compared with going to NA junior hockey. It's really not that big of a deal though.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With how much they seem to be trying to buddy up him and Bouchard, would anyone be surprised if Broberg ended up just going straight to the AHL next season?

It wouldn't really be that much of a jump in competition for him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I trust the Swedish system of developing high calibre Dmen over any other system on the planet.

Such a good point.
Has there been another country that produces as many high level dmen like Sweden does (per capita)?
Maybe Canada but Sweden is much smaller....less than a 3rd of the population of Canada.
Curious to know why that is.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
With how much they seem to be trying to buddy up him and Bouchard, would anyone be surprised if Broberg ended up just going straight to the AHL next season?

In 2020-21? Absolutely I could see it. Jones, Bear, Persson, and Lagesson are all waiver eligible in 2020-21 so there should be an opening for him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
"If Boldy was the pick, I'd bet we hear almost nothing about Broberg. Works both ways. "

You think so? So when JP was picked, how much are we still hearing about Sergachev? Broberg was always the pick for the oilers and stauffer has been pumping his tires. TSN also reported that the oilers are high on broberg. I bet you if we picked Boldy, a couple years later, people will have a thread 'Our failure to go with the scouts - Sergachev and Broberg, what could have been.'

When JP was picked we heard ALOT about Tkatchuck

The USHL guys will be the center of attention this draft moving forward. Book it. They owned the consensus

Stauffer didn't pump Broberg's tires, such a BS narrative. Like Stauff has an influence in drafting:laugh::laugh::help:
He merely reported that other players were getting ranked over the USHL guys and moving up. Hence why Zegras, Caufield and Boldy dropped in the draft significantly. As he said from day 1" I am hearing so and so players are climbing into the top 10" How that got switched to Stauff "influencing the draft" is a HFOIL homerism

We knew Broberg was on the Oil radar cuz the scouts and, more important...our scouts, shifted away from the USHL guys. This became more apparent during the combine and several reporters sniffed this out

Stauffers first report on the subject over a month ago was that defense was climbing into the top 10. Then Det takes a dman over a USHL guy?? No coincidence

PPL want to make it seem like Stauff picked his horse and rode with it. Just like last year w/ Ty Smith

No..he just reported what he got info on. The Oil were huge on Ty IF Bouchard was not there. The Oil had Ty over Dobson. That is not a Stauffer thing..it's an Oil scout thing

Heaven forbid we get some actual insight and info from an insider as to what's transpiring vs HFOil posters trying to twist it into some crazy notion that a reporter is working effortlessly to try and influence the Edmonton Oilers management team into a pick he wants personally wants

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The USHL guys will be the center of attention this draft moving forward. Book it. They owned the consensus

Stauffer didn't pump Broberg's tires, such a BS narrative. Like Stauff has an influence in drafting:laugh::laugh::help:
He merely reported that other players were getting ranked over the USHL guys and moving up. Hence why Zegras, Caufield and Boldy dropped in the draft significantly. As he said from day 1" I am hearing so and so players are climbing into the top 10" How that got switched to Stauff "influencing the draft" is a HFOIL homerism

We knew Broberg was on the Oil radar cuz the scouts and, more important...our scouts, shifted away from the USHL guys. This became more apparent during the combine and several reporters sniffed this out

Stauffers first report on the subject over a month ago was that defense was climbing into the top 10. Then Det takes a dman over a USHL guy?? No coincidence

PPL want to make it seem like Stauff picked his horse and rode with it. Just like last year w/ Ty Smith

No..he just reported what he got info on. The Oil were huge on Ty IF Bouchard was not there. The Oil had Ty over Dobson. That is not a Stauffer thing..it's an Oil scout thing

Heaven forbid we get some actual insight and info from an insider as to what's transpiring vs HFOil posters trying to twist it into some crazy notion that a reporter is working effortlessly to try and influence the Edmonton Oilers management team into a pick he wants personally wants

Sorry man but this just doesn't jive with anything imo. I don't believe Stauffer has any influence either but what your implying doesn't make sense either.

There were few, none that i seen, reports of the UsHL guys falling. There were few, none that I seen, reports of the defense moving into the top 10.

No one had Detroit picking Seider at 6.

The Oilers either leaked their pick or got sloppy because they were the only ones reportedly interested in Broberg within the top 10.

Detroit scouts were obviously intent on the defense prospects. Holland comes to Edmonton and we become intent on defense.

If Detroit and Edmonton don't go off the board and reach for 2 defense the top 10 goes like mostly as predicted.

There are trends in drafts. This year was the year of drafting defense out of position.

Besides Byram there was no buzz about the defense of this draft class. Forwards received all the love. I believe teams like Edmonton Detroit Arizona and Philly all reached on perceived "need" rather than best available prospect.

You take those 4 defense out and Knight and the draft goes.

Hughs
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Zegras
Podkolzin
Boldy
Caufield

Newhook
Krebs

The list above is very consistent with all the info I was reading leading up to the draft.

It was billed as a forward heavy draft and short of seeing everyone's real list the defense were reached for by certain teams.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Sorry man but this just doesn't jive with anything imo. I don't believe Stauffer has any influence either but what your implying doesn't make sense either.

There were few, none that i seen, reports of the UsHL guys falling. There were few, none that I seen, reports of the defense moving into the top 10.

The Oilers either leaked their pick or got sloppy because they were the only ones reportedly interested in Broberg within the top 10.

Detroit scouts were obviously intent on the defense prospects. Holland comes to Edmonton and we become intent on defense.

If Detroit and Edmonton don't go off the board and reach for 2 defense the top 10 goes like mostly as predicted.

There are trends in drafts. This year was the year of drafting defense out of position.

Besides Byram there was no buzz about the defense of this draft class. Forwards received all the love. I believe teams like Edmonton Detroit Arizona and Philly all reached on perceived "need" rather than best available prospect.

Hughs
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Zegras
Podkolzin
Boldy
Caufield

Newhook
Krebs

The list above is very consistent with all the info I was reading leading up to the draft.

It was billed as a forward heavy draft and short of seeing everyone's real list the defense were reached for by certain teams.
I have no source on this, but some theories (based losely on unsubstantiated rumors).

Edmonton Tbay and Detroit GM situations being what they are. It's safe to assume Tampa, Detroit, and Edmonton were all working with similar scouting intel.

Oilers badly wanted Seider and would have taken him which is why Detroit couldn't trade down.

Vancouver badly wanted Broberg, so the Oilers couldn't trade down.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

Or because Samorukov is hurt. Otherwise perhaps those two play together.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

Hughs
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Zegras
Podkolzin
Boldy
Caufield

Newhook
Krebs

That can be attributed to being overrated also. No chance all those US player make it, they may not be busts but some will be very Meh I think when we look in 5 years.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Man I really like that he just straight up said he isn't ready for the NHL. Usually guys like, my goal at main camp is to make the team etc. Broberg knows he has stuff to work on and seems willing to out work in. Wonder if that attitude really sold Holland on him.

He knows he has to get better, admits it and seems willing to listen to what is needed from him. Really nice to see

What?? We're not teasing this kid that if he works hard he gets the minimum 9 game tryout for an Oilers 1st round pick? Holland clearly has no respect for tradition if those 9 games don't happen.

Reactions: guymez

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I would be absolutely shocked if he goes to the AHL, still very raw. Holland will try to have him in the CHL, or back to the SHL he will go. We have possibly Persson, Lagesson, Bear,Bouchard,Day and others already there. There just won’t be enough minutes for him, and he needs top minutes, something Holland has said repeatedly.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Stauffer doesn't have an influence on who Oilers draft but he has influence on fans in EDM. He is the lube Oilers used to make us digest the Broberg reach.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I would be absolutely shocked if he goes to the AHL, still very raw. I would be shocked if Holland doesn’t have him in the CHL or back to the SHL

Yeah sending him to the AHL is a bad decision at this point.

Too many good dmen there this season so someone would be getting shafted for minutes.

As someone else said, the following year half the D core becomes waiver eligible and there will be lots of spots, so a year in Sweden and then the AHL would be ideal for me.

Anyone know how the CHL / NHL transfer agreement works if he wasn't drafted out of the CHL? Does he still have to be 20 before he can go to the AHL if he plays there?

If not, the OHL works too, but I think he should be in the AHL next year

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I would really enjoy a Broberg-Bouchard pairing. I see the future d-core as:

Broberg-Bouchard
Klefbom-Nurse
Jones-Bear

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Pretty good read, looks like he's leaning towards playing in Sweden.

'He comes as advertised': Philip Broberg's skating makes him...

Qwiq9zC.jpg

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No Adam Larsson?
It was him or Nurse. Went with Nurse. Every dman on the current team has 2 years or less left on their contract except for Klefbom. Nurse is a RFA and will probably sign long term next offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad