Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why haven't we packaged this guy up with anothern asset and got two useful assets that can play next year and long term??

Cause people think that McDavid is an auto lock to stay with the team no matter what happens

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nothing wrong with 14 minutes per night for an 18 year old defenseman in the SHL.

Nothing great about it either. That's how a first round pick should be performing. Not great, not bad, but as expected

How are the other D drafted around him doing? I havent watched enough of any of em to know. But Soderstom is putting up points in the SEL (stat watching only).

Sedier was getting a ton of love. He wasn't available at our pick, but good for a benchmark

On the whole, Broberg has done nothing this year that is bad or great. About as expected. But as a person who wasnt warm to the pick to begin with (LD, bit of reach, IQ in question), doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies

Reactions: PuckNut

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kaliyev has a funky birthday. He is actually 20 and has a fake passport.

Also Kaliyev is a slow skater.

Yes I've heard this many times.. if true, sure that puts him a couple notches down if he's actually 34 years old like Evan Bouchard. :)

I still would have picked him at the time because the excuse being used was that he was a lazy/low iq player... and I actually watched him play... and he could snipe the puck and was a better playmaker than given credit for as well. I saw nothing that made him a poor pick but yes if he's an overager that detracts somewhat from his value and that might be why he "actually" dropped rather than the fake lazy/low iq stories.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nothing great about it either. That's how a first round pick should be performing. Not great, not bad, but as expected

How are the other D drafted around him doing? I havent watched enough of any of em to know. But Soderstom is putting up points in the SEL (stat watching only).

Sedier was getting a ton of love. He wasn't available at our pick, but good for a benchmark

On the whole, Broberg has done nothing this year that is bad or great. About as expected. But as a person who wasnt warm to the pick to begin with (LD, bit of reach, IQ in question), doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies

bad would be him being healthy scratched regularly or demoted to a lower league would it not?

Reactions: ImmuneEH

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
How did he fail even if Broberg turns out to be a player? There's no guarantees out there the forwards like Zegras are going to pan out to high end guys. I remember people all drooling over Casey Mittelstadt, and here he is having trouble doing much in the NHL, as a matter of fact, he's sitting in the AHL and not doing much there either.
Holland failed because our forward depth and future is so challenged. It was a no brainer to pick a forward with this slot. If Holland figures this was some kinda steal, then I agree with going with a defenceman. That does not seem to be the case.

We have lots of d prospects compared to other positions. What's the plan at forward ?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Holland failed because our forward depth and future is so challenged. It was a no brainer to pick a forward with this slot. If Holland figures this was some kinda steal, then I agree with going with a defenceman. That does not seem to be the case.

We have lots of d prospects compared to other positions. What's the plan at forward ?
College, FAs, trade for now. I think Holland is trying to build like how we were supposed to back in 2010 when we first started tanking. Take defensemen early, then forwards a couple years later. By the time they are all ready to make an impact, the group of D and F are coming in at the same time on ELCs giving you a window to win.

We have our couple D in Bouchard/Broberg, now we watch the next 2 drafts be highly skilled forwards in the first couple of rounds, no matter their size or other flaws since we might be drafting later in the draft. Those guys should be ready in a couple more years as Bouchard is finishing up his ELC, Broberg is making the team, Lavoie/McLeod are ready to contribute, and the Oilers finally have the rest of the bad contracts and buyouts off the books. Once those guys come in and contribute, that is the time we will start spending draft picks on rentals to put us over the top.

That is the true window that this team has, everything else is building up to it. We need to have success in the interim to keep the guys developing and our top players motivated, but that will be the period where we go from simply battling to make the playoffs to actually being a legitimate threat for the cup.

Reactions: B33K33PING

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
College, FAs, trade for now. I think Holland is trying to build like how we were supposed to back in 2010 when we first started tanking. Take defensemen early, then forwards a couple years later. By the time they are all ready to make an impact, the group of D and F are coming in at the same time on ELCs giving you a window to win.

We have our couple D in Bouchard/Broberg, now we watch the next 2 drafts be highly skilled forwards in the first couple of rounds, no matter their size or other flaws since we might be drafting later in the draft. Those guys should be ready in a couple more years as Bouchard is finishing up his ELC, Broberg is making the team, Lavoie/McLeod are ready to contribute, and the Oilers finally have the rest of the bad contracts and buyouts off the books. Once those guys come in and contribute, that is the time we will start spending draft picks on rentals to put us over the top.

That is the true window that this team has, everything else is building up to it. We need to have success in the interim to keep the guys developing and our top players motivated, but that will be the period where we go from simply battling to make the playoffs to actually being a legitimate threat for the cup.
I dont buy much of your argument. We have 5 or 6 young developing defencrmen with promise. We dont know if any or all of these prospects will do well, but the shelfs are stocked compared to forwards. We got nothing there at forward (relatively speaking). You have to adapt your philosophy to tailor team needs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Calling him a bust was wrong of me, I'll admit to that.

I still think for the draft position it was a bad pick and he will not live up to that top 10 pick marker.

Still firmly believe forward was the way to go at that pick and if you wanted defense, there was a few better options available.

Yes it's hard to directly compare him to a lot of his peers and more will be shown next year, however a guy like Soderstrom is a good comparable and he isn't close to him at this point.

His road to the NHL will be a long one. Him being a left shot defender whose standout skill is skating, it'll take a LOT of very quick improvement before he will pass the guys we currently have on the left and the prospects knocking on the door. A top 10 pick you usually want to be ready in 1-3 years and based on what I have seen, I don't see how in that time he is better than any of Klefbom, Nurse, Jones, Lagesson, Samorukov. Sure we can trade some of those guys but still.

He could and probably will absolutely be an NHL player, but one worthy of a top 10 pick on a team that was dying for help? It's a bad pick.

Reactions: Zaddy

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I dont buy much of your argument. We have 5 or 6 young developing defencrmen with promise. We dont know if any or all of these prospects will do well, but the shelfs are stocked compared to forwards. We got nothing there at forward (relatively speaking). You have to adapt your philosophy to tailor team needs.
I don't think we have any D prospects that are at Broberg's level outside of Bouchard, and it appears that neither does Holland.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

You are so wrong. Solid defense will get you a forward much easier in a trade than the reverse. Stockpiling defense is never a bad idea. I guess you forget how drafting forwards and having shit defense has worked out for us over the past 12 years.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I don't think we have any D prospects that are at Broberg's level outside of Bouchard, and it appears that neither does Holland.
That's why I disagree with holland and you on the pick for a defencemen. My opinion is we have several prospects at d, hardly nothing for forwards. It's not even debatable and comparable in my mind.

It's great to build from the back and have certain philosophies on how to build a team. I would agree with all that stuff. I just believe in tailoring these methods for team needs. To expect yamo or benson or fa or college players to fill the gap up front is crazy. We need some high picks too.

Holland seems like a good gm. Everybody makes mistakes and he clearly made one with our 1st pick.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
You are so wrong. Solid defense will get you a forward much easier in a trade than the reverse. Stockpiling defense is never a bad idea. I guess you forget how drafting forwards and having **** defense has worked out for us over the past 12 years.
So far, nobody wants to give us a good forward for larson. Larson is solid !

You never stockpile at defence when you have no forward prospects.

We have a multitude of options on defence right now. Keeping Bouchard in the ahl is great for development, and a luxury. How much stockpiling of bread in the cupboards, while having no peanut butter or jam to put on bread is gonna help you ? You need a balanced diet to survive....

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You are so wrong. Solid defense will get you a forward much easier in a trade than the reverse. Stockpiling defense is never a bad idea. I guess you forget how drafting forwards and having **** defense has worked out for us over the past 12 years.

this is one thing that astonishes me. We refused to draft any Dmen for almost a decade and paid dearly for it.

people are also ignoring that Broberg can play the right side just as well as the left aide of the ice.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So far, nobody wants to give us a good forward for larson. Larson is solid !

You never stockpile at defence when you have no forward prospects.

We have a multitude of options on defence right now. Keeping Bouchard in the ahl is great for development, and a luxury. How much stockpiling of bread in the cupboards, while having no peanut butter or jam to put on bread is gonna help you ? You need a balanced diet to survive....

how do you know that Larsson has even been discussed in a single trade proposal? You’re talking out of your ass here and you analogy sucks lol.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
how do you know that Larsson has even been discussed in a single trade proposal? You’re talking out of your ass here and you analogy sucks lol.
Just listening to all the experts on the main board about Larsons worth. Does not seem like we will get much for him..... I'm not a gm or know the iner workings of trade deals. I'm a fan who watched sather make deals like ken linsmen, when he needed a pest. Tik was pest that the gm brought over. Getting mcsorley when we needed toughness. Getting mactavish from prison when we needed a 3rd line center. Kent nielson when we needed a winger. I can go on forever about a good gm bringing in players. Routsalainen on defence when coffee was traded. That guy helped win our last cup !

I've been around long enough to have an opinion.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I cant dumb it down any more for peeps like you. Its self explanatory. If you want to blatantly agree with every move your hero gm makes, your not one to discuss anything on these boards.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Just listening to all the experts on the main board about Larsons worth. Does not seem like we will get much for him..... I'm not a gm or know the iner workings of trade deals. I'm a fan who watched sather make deals like ken linsmen, when he needed a pest. Tik was pest that the gm brought over. Getting mcsorley when we needed toughness. Getting mactavish from prison when we needed a 3rd line center. Kent nielson when we needed a winger. I can go on forever about a good gm bringing in players. Routsalainen on defence when coffee was traded. That guy helped win our last cup !

You completely lost me there, lol

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
LOLLLLL are people calling Broberg a bust after half a year of playing in Sweden and one nothing tournament where Robert fracking Reichel was a superstar and Justin Pogge was Patrick Roy? He’s 19 LOL I love this board so much

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
LOLLLLL are people calling Broberg a bust after half a year of playing in Sweden and one nothing tournament where Robert fracking Reichel was a superstar and Justin Pogge was Patrick Roy? He’s 19 LOL I love this board so much
Exactly. All players develop at different rates. Look at how many stars weren't even drafted. I have a lot of time left before I start worrying about a kid this young playing D.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

There's your #1 problem right there.....your basing your knowledge on what people post on an internet message board? LOL

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That's why I disagree with holland and you on the pick for a defencemen. My opinion is we have several prospects at d, hardly nothing for forwards. It's not even debatable and comparable in my mind.

It's great to build from the back and have certain philosophies on how to build a team. I would agree with all that stuff. I just believe in tailoring these methods for team needs. To expect yamo or benson or fa or college players to fill the gap up front is crazy. We need some high picks too.

Holland seems like a good gm. Everybody makes mistakes and he clearly made one with our 1st pick.
Yamamoto was a first round pick, Puljujarvi was a high first round pick, Benson and Lavoie were both ranked in the first round...

Conversely, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Samorukov were all later round picks and were never supposed to be that 'elite' defenseman -- Holland is trying to get one of those guys. We have enough prospects to fill out the 4-6 spots, but we need more guys that have the potential to be a 1-3. That was what Holland was targeting.

Reactions: McXLNC97

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I cant dumb it down any more for peeps like you. Its self explanatory. If you want to blatantly agree with every move your hero gm makes, your not one to discuss anything on these boards.

you’re the one completely making things up. Can you show me anything besides HF junk that states Larsson trades have not happened because he has no value? Can you even show one article that shows he has been made available in a trade? Can you post anything besides childish rant about PB&J sammiches?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

“Experts on the main boards”

that’s your source and where you develop your opinions from.

guess I’ll take that for what it’s worth. Holds about the same value as the dump I just took.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->