Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So a 35+ points 25 minute Dman with explosive speed is a disappointment? What did you expect? a 60 point Chris Pronger?

he is described as being like nurse - nurse was 25 before he played 25 min and got 45 points

BROBERG IS 18. If he is like nurse, he won’t hit nurses numbers for at least 5-6 years

that is the problem - yes, in 5-6 years broberg will be a good player

In 5-6 years, zegras will have 300 points

Reactions: Zaddy and Aerchon

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I will say this for Broberg: development is not linear, especially for d-men. And even moreso for raw toolsy type d-men like Broberg. Hedman looked lost offensively and trending towards being overrated for a top 5 pick until it suddenly all came together for him. Just because it has not all come together for Nurse, it doesn't mean Broberg will follow in the same developmental path.

But the team is now in record saying that they expect broberg to have nurse like offense

And he is a project

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
when nurse was picked they expected him to be a better offensive player than he has turned out to be

That's not true at all. Nurse was drafted as a big, rangy physical shutdown defender. Offense was never his best attribute pre-draft or even post-draft for that matter.

Furthermore, he's a 10 goal, 40 point NHL defenseman. I don't know what kind of crazy expectations some of you had but I thought 30-35 points was his high end offensive upside (as did most around here as far as I recall) and he's exceeding that although playing an awful lot with McDavid at even strength inflates those numbers somewhat.

Reactions: Aerchon

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He hardly gets any PP time and is looking like a solid 35-40 point guy who can skate and bring a solid physical game. If you expect more out of the #7 or #8 pick that's on you. In no way has he been a disappointment.

Whats disappointing about Nurse is that just like Petry, the guy finally develops into a solid player and an unfortunately vocal portion of the fanbase wants to trade him and start over again.

Broberg does not have nurses physical game

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Taking the optimistic angle:
  • Broberg solidifies our future on D. By the time Klefbomb's contract expires, you'd expect Broberg to take that spot.
  • Not all that concerned about offense when we have Bear and Bouchard on the right side.
  • His skating is elite. We have two great outlet passers in Bear and Bouchard, he adds a different dimension in terms of skating the puck out of the zone.
  • He's essentially the yin to Bouchard's yang. Where Bouchard is lacking, Broberg is great at, vice-versa.
That all being said, I wanted Zegras lol.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I mean yeah, Broberg could be a good pick, maybe.

However at the time it was questionable, right now it doesn't look any better, and the org is saying his upside is Nurse?

That's a giant wtf there.

Yes he could become better than Nurse or incredible. But definitely not on a good path.
Broberg has more skill and talent than Nurse. So that's not a giant wtf.

Reactions: B33K33PING

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
he is described as being like nurse - nurse was 25 before he played 25 min and got 45 points

BROBERG IS 18. If he is like nurse, he won’t hit nurses numbers for at least 5-6 years

Again you’re going off like a 45 point Dman playing 25 minutes a night with little PP time is a bad thing :laugh:

In 5-6 years Zegras could be a PPG player in the NHL, he could be the next Barzal. He could just as likely be the next Rico Fata, Pavel Brendl, Steve Kelly or Daniel Tkaczuk.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
The time to trade Larsson would be this offseason if they don't plan on resigning him or if his back problems are bigger then we know.
Trade him for another right shot shutdown guy? Otherwise we have a giant hole on the rightside. Unless your hoping Benning, Bear, Bouchard or Pearsson will step up.
:laugh:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Trade him for another right shot shutdown guy? Otherwise we have a giant hole on the rightside. Unless your hoping Benning, Bear, Bouchard or Pearsson will step up.
:laugh:

I'm willing to take a risk and trade Larsson this off-season. Bear's been doing good with Nurse and Benning is proven on the 3rd pair. Is Persson that much of a downgrade? Bouchard may be able to step right in. I'd rather just not let him walk away for nothing, it'd be great to at least get some value or fill another hole in our roster.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

And what if Zegras ends up being like another hyped up American that was taken near the first 3rd of first round of the draft.....Casey Mittelstadt? People were singing his praises and hyping him up, yet here he is 3 years later and now sitting in the minors.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
And what if Zegras ends up being like another hyped up American that was taken near the first 3rd of the draft.....Casey Mittelstadt? People were singing his praises and hyping him up, yet here he is 3 years later and now sitting in the minors.
Well said. However, sometimes it takes some players a while to get going.

3 years is a tad insane though lol.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Well said. However, sometimes it takes some players a while to get going.

3 years is a tad insane though lol.

I just find it hilarious how people are writing off a guy who is still 18 years old and doesn't turn 19 for another 5 months.....same people were probably writing off Bear and Yamamoto as well. It's like they expect every pick to have a Connor McDavid impact immediately, and if they don't, they're a bust.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And what if Zegras ends up being like another hyped up American that was taken near the first 3rd of first round of the draft.....Casey Mittelstadt? People were singing his praises and hyping him up, yet here he is 3 years later and now sitting in the minors.

I wasn’t sold on Zegras. He reminds me of a less talented RNH. That US National team was stacked, similar to the Memorial Cup winning Oil Kings and we know how many stars that team produced.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I wasn’t sold on Zegras. He reminds me of a less talented RNH. That US National team was stacked, similar to the Memorial Cup winning Oil Kings and we know how many stars that team produced.

We only spent 2 draft picks in a stacked draft to get the biggest superstar on that Oil Kings team....good old Griffin....we all know how well that turned out..lol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I just find it hilarious how people are writing off a guy who is still 18 years old and doesn't turn 19 for another 5 months.....same people were probably writing off Bear and Yamamoto as well. It's like they expect every pick to have a Connor McDavid impact immediately, and if they don't, they're a bust.

I think the biggest thing will be how they handle Broberg after this season. At the moment, Howson said they are simply concerned with him getting playing time and since he's getting that, albeit in a predominantly defensive role, they aren't going to rush him.

That being said, IMO, he should go the AHL next year and develop under Woodcroft. At least Woodcroft is a legit Oilers employee; playing in the SHL, he's at the mercy of that team and their agenda.

While not overtly high on Broberg personally, I can see why we drafted him. We have no fleet footed Dman that can handle the puck up the ice with confidence. Nurse can skate but his puck decisions are mind boggling at times; Klefbom is an average skater at best and like Nurse, questionable with the puck.

Reactions: B33K33PING

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wanted 32 year old Kaliyev... slips right into the lineup almost immediately as he's already older than the core of McD/Drai/RNH.

Broberg was an ok pick... but nothing beats Kaliyev who's ready to light the lamp like old man Kovalchuk did after his draft.

Seriously though.. anyone who dislikes the Broberg pick can't just list a dozen other alternatives because obviously a team can only make 1 choice when they draft... not a dozen... so man up and pick 1 player you would have taken instead and then live with that outcome... for better or worse.

I made my choice at the time with Old Man, lazy, low hockey iq Kaliyev and I'm sticking to that until he either busts out of the NHL like Yakupov... or lights it up in the top 6 in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And what if Broberg ends up the next Reinhart?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wanted 32 year old Kaliyev... slips right into the lineup almost immediately as he's already older than the core of McD/Drai/RNH.

Broberg was an ok pick... but nothing beats Kaliyev who's ready to light the lamp like old man Kovalchuk did after his draft.

Seriously though.. anyone who dislikes the Broberg pick can't just list a dozen other alternatives because obviously a team can only make 1 choice when they draft... not a dozen... so man up and pick 1 player you would have taken instead and then live with that outcome... for better or worse.

I made my choice at the time with Old Man, lazy, low hockey iq Kaliyev and I'm sticking to that until he either busts out of the NHL like Yakupov... or lights it up in the top 6 in the NHL.
I would of taken Zegras for a forward or if it had to be a defender, Soderstrom

Reactions: nexttothemoon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Karlsson was a better player at 18 than Broberg is
Come on man, Karlsson was sent away from his SHL team in the autumn of his 18 year old season (same age as Broberg now) to play in the Swedish second-league... This was because after 22 games he had 3 pts, and the thing with him was that he needed to provide offense because he was not good enough defensively.

"Karlsson much better defensively"- now I have heard it all.

Edit: not sure why I even bother... apparently we can just make things up to fit our narrative in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad