Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Philip Broberg's nickname in Skelleftea is Ivan, the reason why is unfortunately hidden behind a paywall :thumbd:

Any Swede in here who happen to have access to Norran?

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Philip Broberg's nickname in Skelleftea is Ivan, the reason why is unfortunately hidden behind a paywall :thumbd:

Because he's terrible. :sarcasm:

OnThisDayIvan.jpg

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Who said Broberg is not the #1D we were hoping Nurse would become.
He has a better chance of it now then Nurse or for that matter even Klefbom had. Our defense is much deeper and better then it was when we depended on Nurse and Klefbom. No rush on Broberg, and not one person on the planet knows exactly what he will be.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Bob Green and Scott Howson are everything wrong about our franchise. absolute fossils. cancerous.

Reactions: Aerchon

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I have no idea how Scott Howsen has kept a job here. I blame him, Lowe and MacT for the entire decade of darkness.
Crazy how they managed to convince three GM's that they are useful to the franchise.
Nicholson too. how in the hell did they pass his "audit"

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I just find it hilarious how people are writing off a guy who is still 18 years old and doesn't turn 19 for another 5 months.....same people were probably writing off Bear and Yamamoto as well. It's like they expect every pick to have a Connor McDavid impact immediately, and if they don't, they're a bust.
Agreed!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Picking a D who plays in foreign mens pro league is alot like Schrodinger's box. Just like how the cat could be dead or alive, That player could be great, or could be brutal. Both could be true. In those pro leagues, the ice time and usage is extremely funky for the young D, plus the coverage is hit or miss. Points will never tell the story, and there are very few pro scouts updating on progress of whatever player. You have next to no comparison tools, because Swedish D who are crushing it in the NHL can have low SEL point totals, or NHL busts can have high. The correlation is very weak

Compare that to the CHL or NCAA where its way easier to benchmark prospects. If a D is putting up 20 points in the WHL, hes likely a bust. Or if hes putting up 60 points and not a complete liabiloity defensively, likely has an NHL future (for the most part).

The Broberg discussion wont change till hes in the AHL, or there is more info coming out of the SEL. For me, he went into the box as a reach of a pick with areas of weakness I do not like prospects to have. So that is how hell remain until he comes out of the box (in the AHL/NHL)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In your opinion he already is....i'm sure Bear and Yamamoto were writeoffs as well.
Bear was not a write off, I was excited for him, his last year wasn't the greatest but he was dealing with injuries. For the most part I loved him as a prospect because he seemed to improve every year.

Yamamoto I have said all along has tons of skill and ability but I did not believe he had the game breaking ability to overcome his size issues. That said, he has impressed me however I still question how long he will be able to keep it up

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I dont like Nurse, I think that much is clear but some of you are willing to pay him 7 mill a year... if Broberg becomes a player that makes 7 mill a year, then maybe thats a good pick or maybe u guys just like nurse but actually realize hes a disappointment .... pick one guys.

Either be happy Bro is said to be like Nurse or admit that Nurse isnt as good as u think, its really that simple.

I myself wasn't happy with this pick but its way too early to say a 18 year old is disappointing

Reactions: ImJustJokinen

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This pick was Holland's biggest mistake and im a big Holland Supporter....
The kids a mystery and will remain that for the next two or three years...

Why does Holland still have Scott Howson ....and Dustin Schwartz on board??

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This pick was Holland's biggest mistake and im a big Holland Supporter....
The kids a mystery and will remain that for the next two or three years...

Why does Holland still have Scott Howson ....and Dustin Schwartz on board??

so his biggest mistake is something that in no way can currently be proven to actually be a mistake?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bear was not a write off, I was excited for him, his last year wasn't the greatest but he was dealing with injuries. For the most part I loved him as a prospect because he seemed to improve every year.

Yamamoto I have said all along has tons of skill and ability but I did not believe he had the game breaking ability to overcome his size issues. That said, he has impressed me however I still question how long he will be able to keep it up

That’s because you, like many on this board, perceive player development to be linear, because probably 1-100 kids which break into the NHL nowadays it actually goes that way. The success of the last 5-10 years in teams breaking in young players right away has created an unrealistic expectation of an 18-22 YO’s professional development.

The biggest difference right now vs the young players who did step in right away the past 5-10 years were able to do so by bringing a different element to the game, Speed and Skill, unlike the league had seen before.
The game now is so fast and everyone carries those traits that you have to go back to having patience with players.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Some creative use of Google later, he apparently cut his hair like Ivan Drago.

Reactions: LaGu

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
That’s because you, like many on this board, perceive player development to be linear, because probably 1-100 kids which break into the NHL nowadays it actually goes that way. The success of the last 5-10 years in teams breaking in young players right away has created an unrealistic expectation of an 18-22 YO’s professional development.

The biggest difference right now vs the young players who did step in right away the past 5-10 years were able to do so by bringing a different element to the game, Speed and Skill, unlike the league had seen before.
The game now is so fast and everyone carries those traits that you have to go back to having patience with players.
You are a smart guy! I think you’re really on point with this. There was a changing of the guard of sorts these last few years with a new generation of players and player types arriving which saw these guys break out early.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
While not overtly high on Broberg personally, I can see why we drafted him. We have no fleet footed Dman that can handle the puck up the ice with confidence. Nurse can skate but his puck decisions are mind boggling at times; Klefbom is an average skater at best and like Nurse, questionable with the puck.

This is my speculation more than anything, but the way I see it is that Broberg was basically target-drafted to be Bouchard's partner in the long run: pairing a RHD who's got strong offensive instincts but isn't the fleetest of foot or best defender with a LHD who's an elite skater and can cover these deficiencies (also allowing Bouchard to focus more on scoring) kind of makes sense.

I'm a big Nurse fan and I understand that his decision-making is a point of criticism, but you kind of see this deployment with the Nurse-Bear pairing, where Bear is the offensive tool and Nurse is there to skate really fast into position to defend if things go south in the o-zone

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I dont like Nurse, I think that much is clear but some of you are willing to pay him 7 mill a year... if Broberg becomes a player that makes 7 mill a year, then maybe thats a good pick or maybe u guys just like nurse but actually realize hes a disappointment .... pick one guys.

Either be happy Bro is said to be like Nurse or admit that Nurse isnt as good as u think, its really that simple.

I myself wasn't happy with this pick but its way too early to say a 18 year old is disappointing

Maybe you should be coaching the team because Tippet seems to think Nurse is pretty decent.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe the hate Nurse is getting. You guys are delusional. The guy is playing shutdown minutes with a rookie partner and succeeding defensively. He produces at a 1st pairing rate at evens. He's improving every year and still has untapped potential. Nurse may not have a great slapper, a great breakout pass, or great offensive instincts but he does everthing well enough and is a terrific skater who brings physicallity and toughness against the other teams best. That's a very valuable player. Nurse may not be a great PP option but he's been excellent on the PK and at Evens and that's 2/3rds or the game. You guys are way too down on him. I also have no idea why people think he'll get 7 million, he doesn't play the PP and without top end numbers dmen don't get paid. He'll get around what Morrissey in Winnipeg makes.

Broberg being compared to him isn't a bad thing, it's not like they're going to be carbon copies. Broberg may develop the excellent breakout pass that Nurse doesn't but not the toughness, who knows. The point with the comparison is likely due to Nurse being a horse at evens with a complete skill set, he isn't awful at anything. Someone compared him to Petry perception wise and i'd argue it applies development wise too. Petry and Nurse obviously aren't the same but both are guys who have size, excellent skating and the ability to do everything well. As we've seen with Petry those guys get better and better with experience and Nurse i suspect, like Petry, will continue to improve into his 30's. Toolsy players like Nurse/Petry/Broberg/Klefbom/Samorukov/Bouchard are highly coveted on NHL backends and in drafts because they can eat major minutes in all situations even if they may not be the ideal guy for them all. They have the size to win battles, the skating to get there, and the skill to make plays. Even a guy as flawed in terms of "compete" as Tom Poti had a substantial career due to his tool kit. Only loser organizations move players like this willingly or without substantial return, Nurse i would suspect has far more value in NHL circles than many on here would expect. If we get an asset as valuable in Broberg that isn't a bad pick.

I recall asking the board the same thing with regards to Petry, why can't we have nice things? Complete defenseman are a rarity and should be valued as such. Franchise dmen are elite at most things, and maybe Broberg doesn't develop an offensive game that gets him there, but there's no shame in being only good to great and most things. This teams depth in guys who can bring complete games on the backend is exactly what we need to support the big 3 up front, with Bouchard hopefully being the guy with the big offensive upside and Klefbom the strong #2 offensive guy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can't believe the hate Nurse is getting. You guys are delusional. The guy is playing shutdown minutes with a rookie partner and succeeding defensively. He produces at a 1st pairing rate at evens. He's improving every year and still has untapped potential. Nurse may not have a great slapper, a great breakout pass, or great offensive instincts but he does everthing well enough and is a terrific skater who brings physicallity and toughness against the other teams best. That's a very valuable player. Nurse may not be a great PP option but he's been excellent on the PK and at Evens and that's 2/3rds or the game. You guys are way too down on him. I also have no idea why people think he'll get 7 million, he doesn't play the PP and without top end numbers dmen don't get paid. He'll get around what Morrissey in Winnipeg makes.

Broberg being compared to him isn't a bad thing, it's not like they're going to be carbon copies. Broberg may develop the excellent breakout pass that Nurse doesn't but not the toughness, who knows. The point with the comparison is likely due to Nurse being a horse at evens with a complete skill set, he isn't awful at anything. Someone compared him to Petry perception wise and i'd argue it applies development wise too. Petry and Nurse obviously aren't the same but both are guys who have size, excellent skating and the ability to do everything well. As we've seen with Petry those guys get better and better with experience and Nurse i suspect, like Petry, will continue to improve into his 30's. Toolsy players like Nurse/Petry/Broberg/Klefbom/Samorukov/Bouchard are highly coveted on NHL backends and in drafts because they can eat major minutes in all situations even if they may not be the ideal guy for them all. They have the size to win battles, the skating to get there, and the skill to make plays. Even a guy as flawed in terms of "compete" as Tom Poti had a substantial career due to his tool kit. Only loser organizations move players like this willingly or without substantial return, Nurse i would suspect has far more value in NHL circles than many on here would expect. If we get an asset as valuable in Broberg that isn't a bad pick.

I recall asking the board the same thing with regards to Petry, why can't we have nice things? Complete defenseman are a rarity and should be valued as such. Franchise dmen are elite at most things, and maybe Broberg doesn't develop an offensive game that gets him there, but there's no shame in being only good to great and most things. This teams depth in guys who can bring complete games on the backend is exactly what we need to support the big 3 up front, with Bouchard hopefully being the guy with the big offensive upside and Klefbom the strong #2 offensive guy.
No one is saying Nurse for scraps, they are saying you don't pay a 2nd pairing defensemen 7 mill a year and if that's the sticking point for him, then you trade him for something VALUABLE. Almost everyone is fine with Nurse being here, just not at a ridiculous 7mill.

Secondly, if a team sees Brobergs peak as Nurse as stated, that's extremely disappointing at his draft position especially with what was on the table. If he ends up as Nurse that's not a bad thing, but when you are looking at potential, a top 10 draft pick with the potential to be a second pairing defender, you wait till later in the draft for that.

Nurse was drafted to be a top pairing guy, he is settling in as a good solid second pairing guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, most draft picks don't reach the peak you hoped but they come close is the hope. You set your sights at top pairing and settle for 2nd. If you set your sights for 2nd pairing it means you will settle for 3rd. You don't pick a guy like that top 10.

Not saying if that will be Broberg will be like that, just that everything we have heard about the team and drafting Broberg feels extremely flawed for the organization and drafting period

Reactions: Zaddy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Let's look at top 10 picks in recent years, what they are and how many years before they made an NHL impact. (NHL player = averaging 42+ games/season)

2011 - 10/10 NHL players, Full Time NHLers draft +3

2012 - 7/10 NHL players, Full Time NHLers draft +3

2013 - 10/10 NHL players, Full Time NHLers draft +3

2014 - 8/10, Full Time NHLers draft +3

2015 - 10/10, Full Time NHLers draft +3

2016 - 7/10, Full Time NHLers draft +4

So for the most part a top 10 pick that is a constant NHL player ends up in the NHL in his draft +3. 2016 seems to be an Odd year in that, rough draft overall.

So if Broberg turns out, he will develop next year and be an NHL player the year after. Same with Bouchard. With recent history of top 10 picks if Bouchard isn't an NHL staple next year, there is a problem there, although I think he ends up as our third pairing guy almost no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad