Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I haven't seen any Kakko video yet, but that description makes him sound somewhat Jagr-esque.

Question for y'all - how is the qual of comp between USHL and Liiga? I feel like i value Kakko's skills more than what i've seen from hughes, especially so bc he's playing with big men. also bc of size. and his stickwork in tight spaces

i'll admit that i'm charmed by the flashiness and skill of kakko, but what's the appeal of hughes? just his very solid play?

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Question for y'all - how is the qual of comp between USHL and Liiga? I feel like i value Kakko's skills more than what i've seen from hughes, especially so bc he's playing with big men. also bc of size. and his stickwork in tight spaces

i'll admit that i'm charmed by the flashiness and skill of kakko, but what's the appeal of hughes? just his very solid play?

USHL is below the Finnish men's league. But it is also important to keep in mind that Hughes is on the US-NTDP, which not only plays against players their own age but also against NCAA teams. Hughes is no stranger to playing against men, and he has impressed at every turn.

What Kakko has done in Finland is even more impressive, to be certain. He has broken every scoring record for draft-eligible prospects. He has been absolutely phenomenal.

It is difficult to compare Hughes and Kakko because they are such different players, so let's start with the similarities. They are both magical puck-handlers and distributors. Either player can stickhandle a can of tuna through a shark tank. Both of them are also off-the-charts in terms of vision and hockey sense. They both play with an ideal compete level. They both have excellent shooting ability, though Kakko is of the shoot-first mentality and Hughes' favorite past-time is to set up his line mates for an easy tap-in, which he is almost prodigally gifted at doing. They are both not just NHL-ready, but ready to make an immediate impact for any team who drafts them in 2019-20.

Now the differences. Obviously, Hughes is a center and Kakko is a winger. There are many who believe that Kakko can play center at the NHL level, but with so little experience at the position it remains to be seen whether an NHL coach would play him there for the next couple of seasons. Kakko is a left-shot who can play either wing with acuity, while Hughes is a left shot who sometimes mans the right circle or the point as a power play quarterback.

Kakko is much bigger. Though he does not initiate physicality, he is a very strong kid who can be impressive when fighting through defenses' attempts to muck him up. He is strong along the boards and not afraid to fight in the crease for loose pucks. Hughes is smallish at 5'10-170, but also does not play with any fear. Hughes is also willing to go to the dirty areas to contribute to his team and, though he lacks Kakko's strength, he is very elusive and difficult to get a body on.

Hughes' biggest advantage is in skating. Not only is his skating on par with names like McDavid and MacKinnon, but he has a rare ability to think the game, stickhandle and give tape-to-tape dishes while flying at top speed. His hands and feet are so quick and his vision is so good, he seems to slow the game down while speeding it up. It's a rare ability which perhaps only McDavid has on his level.

It is important to know that these kids are both going to be superstars. If the Devils win the 1 or 2 overall pick, it is a certainty that they will both be skating on the second line and (likely) top power play unit as soon as next season. It is also important to know that, as amazing as Kakko is, Hughes is still the consensus #1 pick. Though, if a team which places a heavy value on size (Anaheim would be my top guess) wins the lottery, there could be some talk about Kakko going #1. But Shero and Castron both covet speed, and, though Kakko is a strong skater, Hughes is absolutely gifted in this respect. If the Devils draft #1, Hughes will be the 99.9% favorite to be the pick.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
USHL is below the Finnish men's league. But it is also important to keep in mind that Hughes is on the US-NTDP, which not only plays against players their own age but also against NCAA teams. Hughes is no stranger to playing against men, and he has impressed at every turn.

What Kakko has done in Finland is even more impressive, to be certain. He has broken every scoring record for draft-eligible prospects. He has been absolutely phenomenal.

It is difficult to compare Hughes and Kakko because they are such different players, so let's start with the similarities. They are both magical puck-handlers and distributors. Either player can stickhandle a can of tuna through a shark tank. Both of them are also off-the-charts in terms of vision and hockey sense. They both play with an ideal compete level. They both have excellent shooting ability, though Kakko is of the shoot-first mentality and Hughes' favorite past-time is to set up his line mates for an easy tap-in, which he is almost prodigally gifted at doing. They are both not just NHL-ready, but ready to make an immediate impact for any team who drafts them in 2019-20.

Now the differences. Obviously, Hughes is a center and Kakko is a winger. There are many who believe that Kakko can play center at the NHL level, but with so little experience at the position it remains to be seen whether an NHL coach would play him there for the next couple of seasons. Kakko is a left-shot who can play either wing with acuity, while Hughes is a left shot who sometimes mans the right circle or the point as a power play quarterback.

Kakko is much bigger. Though he does not initiate physicality, he is a very strong kid who can be impressive when fighting through defenses' attempts to muck him up. He is strong along the boards and not afraid to fight in the crease for loose pucks. Hughes is smallish at 5'10-170, but also does not play with any fear. Hughes is also willing to go to the dirty areas to contribute to his team and, though he lacks Kakko's strength, he is very elusive and difficult to get a body on.

Hughes' biggest advantage is in skating. Not only is his skating on par with names like McDavid and MacKinnon, but he has a rare ability to think the game, stickhandle and give tape-to-tape dishes while flying at top speed. His hands and feet are so quick and his vision is so good, he seems to slow the game down while speeding it up. It's a rare ability which perhaps only McDavid has on his level.

It is important to know that these kids are both going to be superstars. If the Devils win the 1 or 2 overall pick, it is a certainty that they will both be skating on the second line and (likely) top power play unit as soon as next season. It is also important to know that, as amazing as Kakko is, Hughes is still the consensus #1 pick. Though, if a team which places a heavy value on size (Anaheim would be my top guess) wins the lottery, there could be some talk about Kakko going #1. But Shero and Castron both covet speed, and, though Kakko is a strong skater, Hughes is absolutely gifted in this respect. If the Devils draft #1, Hughes will be the 99.9% favorite to be the pick.

Thanks for the write-up Steven, really great breakdown between the two. I'll be honest, I still think I'd lean towards Kakko but if anything it'd be of the slimmest of margins. I just think his combination of skill, shooting, vision, skating (though he's not Hughes, he's still a good skater) and size is incredible. I don't know who the best comparable is for him, I've heard Peter Forsberg floating around and I think it's a pretty decent comparison.

I don't know, I'd love them both. Gun to my head though I'd choose Kakko.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Since I've been discussing second/third round RWs who may interest the Devils with one of their 5 picks there, here's another kid to keep an eye on.

Nathan Legare, Baie-Comeau, QMJHL
Legare is extremely strong, even for his 6'0-200 frame. He plays like a bull in a china shop, and his hustle is relentless, game to game and shift to shift. He is good at pretty much everything while he does not wow you with any one skill aside from his hustle and power game down low. His shot is very good, his passing and vision are very good, his two-way game is very good. He has topped 40 goals, 40 assists and 80 points in the Q, very impressive production.

If there is one weakness in Legare's game, it is that he is an average skater, at best. Devils fans who know how much Shero/Castron have been trying to build the Devils into one of the fastest playing teams in the league may think this would rule him out of the NJ draft plans, but keep in mind the Devils are just two years removed from drafting a similar-type player in Nathan Bastian. While I think Bastian has very fine potential as a physical, bottom-6 RW who can contribute 15-20 goals and 30-40 points one day, Legare plays a similar style with even more raw physicality and a better scoring touch.

Reactions: My3Sons and Figgie

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the write-up Steven, really great breakdown between the two. I'll be honest, I still think I'd lean towards Kakko but if anything it'd be of the slimmest of margins. I just think his combination of skill, shooting, vision, skating (though he's not Hughes, he's still a good skater) and size is incredible. I don't know who the best comparable is for him, I've heard Peter Forsberg floating around and I think it's a pretty decent comparison.

I don't know, I'd love them both. Gun to my head though I'd choose Kakko.

Believe me, we would all be thrilled with either. But the Devils' odds are likely to be south of 20% to get one of these brilliant future stars, so we all need to temper our expectations. This is why I try to keep writing about the merits of kids like Byram, Cozens, Turcotte and Zegras -- any of whom would be huge additions to the Devils future.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Here's one more mid-round RW from the Q and then I need to get back to some non-hockey writing:

Maxim Cajkovic, Saint John, QMJHL
The Slovakian puck-magician is the kind of player who can make a scout's reputation. He is absolutely dazzling in open ice, can break ankles with sick moves while beating defenders one-on-one, and he can flat-out score in highlight reel fashion. When he's going on all cylinders, he looks like the type of player who can be a first-liner in the NHL.

What's dropping him to the second round or perhaps a bit later is his perceived lack of a 200-foot game and propensity to go unnoticed for long stretches of time. I say this every year, but with players with high energy and effort levels (like Cajkovic), this is the type of problem which can be eradicated with good coaching and development. I mean, he's never going to compete for the Selke, but if he gets his non-offensive game up to average, we're talking a scoring top-6 winger in the NHL here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Believe me, we would all be thrilled with either. But the Devils' odds are likely to be south of 20% to get one of these brilliant future stars, so we all need to temper our expectations. This is why I try to keep writing about the merits of kids like Byram, Cozens, Turcotte and Zegras -- any of whom would be huge additions to the Devils future.

Oh yeah I'm not getting my hopes up on winning a top 2 spot, and there are a bunch of players I'd be happy drafting even if we end up dropping back a bit. Byram and Podkolzin top that list, I know the latter is a tad controversial but I love his potential. Cozens, Krebs and Turcotte would be the next kind of tier for me but again, slim margins between those "tiers" and I'd also be very happy with Zergas.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Right now the players I'm very interested in are: Kakko, Hughes, Byram, Turcotte, and Zegras. Chances of someone taking Podkolzin or Dach before the devils is pretty high. So either way, the devils will be able to get someone I want. Ofc, the 1st 3 are who I'm very very very very very interested in, but yea Turcotte and Zegras are no slouch.

Edit: I forgot about Cozens....so yea TLDR stop worrying about our draft position.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Oh yeah I'm not getting my hopes up on winning a top 2 spot, and there are a bunch of players I'd be happy drafting even if we end up dropping back a bit. Byram and Podkolzin top that list, I know the latter is a tad controversial but I love his potential. Cozens, Krebs and Turcotte would be the next kind of tier for me but again, slim margins between those "tiers" and I'd also be very happy with Zergas.
Right now the players I'm very interested in are: Kakko, Hughes, Byram, Turcotte, and Zegras. Chances of someone taking Podkolzin or Dach before the devils is pretty high. So either way, the devils will be able to get someone I want. Ofc, the 1st 3 are who I'm very very very very very interested in, but yea Turcotte and Zegras are no slouch.

I agree with dk on this, because (as we all know and repeat a bunch) Shero and Castron are building the Devils as a speed based team. They value elite skating very highly, especially at the top of the draft. Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are decent skaters, but Byram, Cozens, Tucotte, Zegras and Krebs are all elite in this respect. It is for this reason that I believe Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are unlikely to be the Devils top pick -- quite simply they will be higher on other teams' draft boards than the Devils' own board.

While we're on this topic, I'd say that Podkolzin, Krebs and Boldy are also left-shot wingers, which is the foremost strength in the Devils organization. So they would need to be a clear-cut higher ranking by the NJ scouting team in order to be drafted when any of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Dach were available.

This is the basis of my (oft-repeated) opinion that, if the Devils pick anywhere in their likely range of 3-8, they will come away from the 2019 draft with one of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte or Zegras.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I agree with dk on this, because (as we all know and repeat a bunch) Shero and Castron are building the Devils as a speed based team. They value elite skating very highly, especially at the top of the draft. Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are decent skaters, but Byram, Cozens, Tucotte, Zegras and Krebs are all elite in this respect. It is for this reason that I believe Podkolzin, Dach and Boldy are unlikely to be the Devils top pick -- quite simply they will be higher on other teams' draft boards than the Devils' own board.

While we're on this topic, I'd say that Podkolzin, Krebs and Boldy are also left-shot wingers, which is the foremost strength in the Devils organization. So they would need to be a clear-cut higher ranking by the NJ scouting team in order to be drafted when any of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Dach were available.

This is the basis of my (oft-repeated) opinion that, if the Devils pick anywhere in their likely range of 3-8, they will come away from the 2019 draft with one of Byram, Cozens, Turcotte or Zegras.
Just playing devil's advocate here... It's possible that the Devils saw what Maroon brought to the team and see that it's a component that's useful and are lacking. Because of that, while it would be a bit surprising, I wouldn't be COMPLETELY shocked if we drafted a bigger body with good scoring hands that's not a complete speed demon. It does seem, however, that Cozens is a combination of both, so I'd expect him to be on the top of our forward list.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just playing devil's advocate here... It's possible that the Devils saw what Maroon brought to the team and see that it's a component that's useful and are lacking. Because of that, while it would be a bit surprising, I wouldn't be COMPLETELY shocked if we drafted a bigger body with good scoring hands that's not a complete speed demon. It does seem, however, that Cozens is a combination of both, so I'd expect him to be on the top of our forward list.

Also Byram is extremely physical, and skilled, and can fly. That's why Byram/Cozens are three four on both my overall rankings and my Devils' wish list.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
dammit I was about to mention cajkovic as a mid round pick but you beat me to it.

Haha, yeah. I'll be trying to mention as many of these mid-round guys as possible leading up to the draft, and Cajkovic can really dazzle.

I don't know if I'd take him at #35 overall if a top C or D fell. At C, I am a huge fan of Philip Tomasino (he's recently entered my top 15, though I have yet to see him in anyone else's) and I'm really starting to like Yegor Spirodonov. Either could still be around at #35. I am also a huge fan of US-NTDP pivot John Beecher, but I can't see him falling to the second round even though several scouting bureaus have underhanded him there. At D, there are several offensive D with upside who could be available at #35 (Lassi Thomson, Billy Constantinou, Marshall Warren, Tobias Bjornfot). I would rather the Devils utilize their two top picks to get a high-upside talent at a position of greater organizational need and then shoot for high-upside wingers with their later 5 picks in the top 100.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
Obviously if we luck out and get the 1st or 2nd pick they are no brainers, Hughes and Kakko. Byram is my number 3 followed by Cozens, Turcotte, and Zegras. Of those 4 listed after Hughes and Kakko, how close are they to stepping in next year?

We have a legitimate top line and 3rd line:
Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Wood-Zajac-Coleman

Byram is my 3rd choice as we need a #1 LD and getting a 2nd line center or winger through a trade or FA is easier than a #1 LD.

If Byram is gone 2nd line possibilities:
Bratt-Zacha-Cozens
Zacha-Turcotte/Zegras-Bratt

I think Byram and Ty Smith coming in next year if possible and a trade/free agent legitimate 2nd line winger or center with Bratt and Zacha would be the quickest turn around.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't think Byram makes the lineup in '19-'20. We have a huge jam on the left side and also while he's doing quite well in the whl he's not exactly dominating. He's basically doing what Ty smith did and he got sent down. Hate to say it but I think the only ones that make the lineup in '19-'20 are hughes and kakko. That shouldn't matter though, nor should it be a surprise at all.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I wouldn't count on teenage defensemen coming in and moving the needle too much right away. There is a lot of learning to do, even for the most talented D prospects. It can take a few seasons.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't think Byram makes the lineup in '19-'20. We have a huge jam on the left side and also while he's doing quite well in the whl he's not exactly dominating. He's basically doing what Ty smith did and he got sent down. Hate to say it but I think the only ones that make the lineup in '19-'20 are hughes and kakko. That shouldn't matter though, nor should it be a surprise at all.

From everything we saw, Smith was sent down from camp solely because of a numbers game. And by numbers, I don’t mean that he was beaten out, it was that guys in front of him weren’t eligible to be sent down and he was. The conversation with Smith when they cut him still stands out to me that Hynes told him that he not only expects him to make the team next year but to play a large role.

So basically, I think it’s on Shero this offseason to start figuring out our logjam on D of bottom 4 defenders. What are we doing with Carrick, if we don’t have room than move him for something, Mueller? If the coach refuses to play him consistently and the GM is fine with that, then move him along and take the hit. We have Smith and a few good young college kids that are going to need a spot and or looks so he has to do something. All that is without even considering a draft pick this year like Bryam who I think would benefit a year or 2 of development anyways.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That’s a great write up and thanks for the in depth comparison but one question still nags at me. Specifically, what kind of tuna?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad