Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
As of right now. I see the Devils finishing 4th, maybe 5th. They will probably be 3pts a head of Wings/Kings after today. That’s is the equivalent of 4 games. They would need two wins or a win and ot loss from #2/3, plus the Devils will have to lose two in a row to catch them. If they win or lose on Draft lottery day its up to the hockey gods.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
STI - how would Turcotte compare to Tyson Jost? He was seen as a two way tough competitor at center. Fast forward from the draft and he gets mixed reviews from COL fans. Some suggest he’s a bit small and a bit limited by his skating. I don’t recall any of those criticisms of him at the time of the draft.

At the same point in their development, Turcotte is certainly ahead of Jost. Turcotte is a far batter skater and has an appreciably superior two-way game. I would argue Turcotte is even better offensively at the same point. It's no contest.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That’s actually the player I’ve been picturing when I hear descriptions of him and see his highlights. Curious to if @StevenToddIves agrees.

I like Kakko better than Laine, but I don't think they're comparable players.

Laine is a straight-up scorer. He has the potential to be an historic scorer, so this is not a put-down. We're talking a kid who can score 500-600 career goals. But beyond the goal scoring, Laine is average at best in every facet of the game.

Kakko is a straight-up player. Though is shot and scoring are plus tools, neither can be considered elite. However, he is outstanding in every other aspect of the game -- his puck handling, two-way game, vision, passing, anticipation -- they are all amazing. He can play both wings and even a little center. He is physical and smart and has an excellent compete level. He raises his game at big moments. He's just going to be a star, in my mind.

I've said this all over these boards but I will say it again - if the Devils get the #2 pick in this draft, it's cause for celebration. Kakko will be amazing, and he will be in the NHL making an impact as soon as next season.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That’s actually the player I’ve been picturing when I hear descriptions of him and see his highlights. Curious to if @StevenToddIves agrees.

The comparison Kakko seems to be drawing the most is "Peter Forsberg, but a winger". I'm not sure how accurate this is. Maybe in the offensive zone, I can see Kakko flashing aspects of Forsberg's insane skill/power combo. But Kakko, like Hughes, seems to be a very unique player. He's just incredibly smart, and when he gets the puck on his stick, he's magic. He knows how to get space where there is no space, and once he creates space, look out. He stickhandles like a chess player, while beating one player he's already figured out how to deke around the next one. There's really no weakness in Kakko's offensive game.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
At the same point in their development, Turcotte is certainly ahead of Jost. Turcotte is a far batter skater and has an appreciably superior two-way game. I would argue Turcotte is even better offensively at the same point. It's no contest.

Seems like Turcotte is playing against better competition, too. USNTDP vs. Jost playing BCHL.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't seen any Kakko video yet, but that description makes him sound somewhat Jagr-esque.

I think we can draw a few parallels, but ultimately we have to say that Kakko is a pretty unique player. I would say the same about Hughes, and I'm having trouble finding a good comparable for Bowen Byram. Not surprisingly, these are my top 3 players in the 2019 draft.

Like yourself and all knowledgable Devils fans, I would thrilled to get any of the three of these guys in the 2019 draft.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That would be the NIGHTMARE SCENARIO in this case.

Glass half full Sir!

Being at 4 come draft lottery guarantees us a top 7 pick in a darn good year to be drafting top 10. Leaves us with plenty of options and not getting stuck with the leftovers.

Tonight will have a lot to say about if we end up at 4, 3 or 2.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm certain the draft will be a happy day for Devils fans anywhere in the top 9. Here's my updated top 20 rankings for the Ides of March:

1 C Hughes
2 LW/RW Kakko
3 LD Byram
4 C/RW Cozens
5 C Turcotte
6 LW/RW Podkolzin
7 C/LW Zegras
8 LW Krebs
9 LW/RW Boldy
10 C Dach
11 C Newhook
12 RW Caufield
13 RW/LW Kaliyev
14 LD Robertson
15 C Tomasino
16 C Beecher
17 RD Seider
18 RD Soderstrom
19 C Suzuki
20 LD Harley

Honorable mention: G Spencer Knight, but I don't feel comfortable ranking goaltenders among skaters.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like Turcotte is playing against better competition, too. USNTDP vs. Jost playing BCHL.

I just moved Turcotte ahead of Podkolzin in my rankings. I think Podkolzin has a bit more scoring upside, but Turcotte has no weaknesses (except a slight injury history) and has the potential to be a PPG center with Selke-type defensive abilities, which is rare. In the past decade, these types of centers are limited to Kopitar, Toews, Barkov, Bergeron. I think Nico can get there as well in a season or two. Having two of these guys on one team would be just insane.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I just moved Turcotte ahead of Podkolzin in my rankings. I think Podkolzin has a bit more scoring upside, but Turcotte has no weaknesses (except a slight injury history) and has the potential to be a PPG center with Selke-type defensive abilities, which is rare. In the past decade, these types of centers are limited to Kopitar, Toews, Barkov, Bergeron. I think Nico can get there as well in a season or two. Having two of these guys on one team would be just insane.

Datsyuk and Zetterburg.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I really hope teams look down on size again and pass on caufield.

I don't see him falling past 20, and even if he did it would cost the Devils significantly to move up and get him. If Colorado drafts Hughes, I can honestly see them drafting Caufield with their second first-round pick -- the two players already show significant chemistry.

In my mind (and apparently yours), Caufield is the best right-shooting winger in the class of 2019. His shot is as good as anyone in the draft class, and he's extremely smart and skilled with the puck. If he were a bit faster (he has good but not great skates, and scouts like smaller players to be speed demons), he would be a top 10 pick. Despite Caufield's 5'7-150 frame, he's not a soft player by any means and will go to the net like a Brian Gionta or Brendan Gallagher. He certainly has 30+ goal upside as an NHL-er.

If the Devils are going to draft an undersized, sniper RW in the 2019 draft, it is more likely to be Bobby Brink. If you're not familiar, I suggest you look him up. He's Caufield's size, maybe a bit stockier, and has a similar laser-beam shot. He's also great with the puck and not soft, and very comparable to Caulfield except Brink has average skates at best, which will drop him into the second round, where the Devils have three picks. I would say that Caufield has first line upside and Brink second-line, but Brink can also be a 30-goal guy if everything gels in his development.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Another sleeper RW to watch is Ryder Donovan.

I recently had some dialogue with Cam Robinson (Dobber Prospects) about him, and he's impossible to ignore. At 6'4-195 with plus-plus speed and very good hands, he offers a rare power forward tool box. He's got a projectable frame and could wind up at 6'4-220 -- so we're talking the possibility of a Chris Kreider type athletic beast, but on the right side.

There is some dissent among scouts, but much of that can be attributed to the fact that, instead of going the CHL or USHL route, Donovan chose to stay home and play high school hockey in Duluth, MN. Scouts tend to sour on these types of things. They claim it indicates a desire to play lesser competition (and it also makes game film more difficult to come by).

Even so, Donovan's skill set cannot be denied. It would not even shock me to see a team go for him in the late first/early second round. It also would not shock me if he fell to the third round. He would certainly fill an organizational need for the Devils, as a shoot-first power winger with a right-handed shot. And he certainly has the speed/hockey IQ/compete level combo which Shero and Castron seem to covet in their prospects.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Another sleeper RW to watch is Ryder Donovan.

I recently had some dialogue with Cam Robinson (Dobber Prospects) about him, and he's impossible to ignore. At 6'4-195 with plus-plus speed and very good hands, he offers a rare power forward tool box. He's got a projectable frame and could wind up at 6'4-220 -- so we're talking the possibility of a Chris Kreider type athletic beast, but on the right side.

There is some dissent among scouts, but much of that can be attributed to the fact that, instead of going the CHL or USHL route, Donovan chose to stay home and play high school hockey in Duluth, MN. Scouts tend to sour on these types of things. They claim it indicates a desire to play lesser competition (and it also makes game film more difficult to come by).

Even so, Donovan's skill set cannot be denied. It would not even shock me to see a team go for him in the late first/early second round. It also would not shock me if he fell to the third round. He would certainly fill an organizational need for the Devils, as a shoot-first power winger with a right-handed shot. And he certainly has the speed/hockey IQ/compete level combo which Shero and Castron seem to covet in their prospects.

Sounds like the type of player that scouts earn their money on.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad