Prospect Info: 2019 Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (post-deadline)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

I’ve seen Podkolzin ranked as high as 3 by various reputable scouts. We haven’t been pumping his tires much on this forum but...could you see a scenario in which Shero/Castron selects him over Cozens/Byram? Nothing against the kid but I’d be extremely disappointed as I feel Cozens and Byram have more overall upside and check much greater organizational needs. The notorious “Russian factor” also scares me.

Same question if we miss out on picking top 4- do you see Shero/Castron going with Podkolzin over the likes of Turcotte or Zegras?

An aside- as you previously mentioned...if Devils fans want Byram, I completely agree we better hope Vancouver or Detroit is not picking at 3 or 4 (if he’s still on the board and we are picking after them). I think Los Angeles or Anaheim is much more likely to take Cozens or Podkolzin over Byram whereas Vancouver and Detroit really need to add D to their pipeline. I’m having lots of very bizarre fun tracking the out-of-town scoreboard these days.

Thanks again for all your terrific work and insight!

Podkolzin is a terrific player. He reminds me of a Tkachuk brother, with an insane mix of skill, power and grit. I have him in my top 10 but not my top 4, however. This is not because I have any doubts about him, so much as I just like players like Byram and Cozens a bit more. If Podkolzin has any weaknesses it's that he's a pretty good skater, not a great one, and though his scoring ability is truly elite, he is good but not great in terms of passing/on-ice vision. I see him as a surefire first-liner, but not a winger who can drive play (like Kakko or Krebs). That being said, he plays with enticing physicality and has an advanced 200-foot game.

The reason I personally believe he will not be at the top of the Devils draft list is threefold. First, the Devils brass of Shero and Castron have clearly placed an emphasis on team speed. Many of the other players ranked around him -- Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Krebs -- can absolutely fly. Though Kakko is also not exactly a speed demon, he is universally considered a tier above the next group of players to be drafted, and drives possession as well as finishes. Secondly, there is some uncertainty as to when Podkolzin will come to North America. If he were to sign a KHL deal, it could be 2022-23 before his drafting team gets him in camp. This uncertainty is definitely going to be on the mind of any team which considers him. We're not talking Andrei Svechnikov, who played in the OHL and said repeatedly he wanted to ply his trade in the NHL as soon as possible. Lastly, though every GM always talks up the "best available player" game, the Devils have glaring organizational needs at pretty much every position except left-shooting winger. They need LD, RD, C and right-shooting wingers.

Personally, my rankings are never exactly the same as my list of players I want on the Devils. I also have Matthew Boldy ranked quite highly, but, like Podkolzin, he is not the best fit for the NJ organization.

I believe you are absolutely correct that the three teams most likely to take Byram in the #3-#5 range are the Devils, Vancouver and Detroit. Most teams, in my estimation, would decide between Cozens/Podkolzin/Dach at #3. I believe the most likely #3 overall pick is Cozens. Even NJ and Detroit would likely strongly consider Cozens at #3, even if eventually going with Byram. I think the only team who is an absolute lock to take Byram at #3 would be Vancouver.

To answer your final question to the best of my ability, I think you are asking essentially: "who do the Devils take at #5 or #6 overall if Cozens and Byram are both off the table?"

I still would not take Podkolzin here. My rankings (for the Devils, not my personal rankings) after the top 4 are:

5)Turcotte
6)Zegras
7)Krebs
8)Newhook
9)Podkolzin
10)Boldy

That being said, if the Devils took Podkolzin or Boldy at #5 or #6 it would not be a disappointment. They're both simply outstanding prospects. I'd just rather have Turcotte/Zegras, I think they fit in better with what the Devils need and what they are trying to do.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Podkolzin is a terrific player. He reminds me of a Tkachuk brother, with an insane mix of skill, power and grit. I have him in my top 10 but not my top 4, however. This is not because I have any doubts about him, so much as I just like players like Byram and Cozens a bit more. If Podkolzin has any weaknesses it's that he's a pretty good skater, not a great one, and though his scoring ability is truly elite, he is good but not great in terms of passing/on-ice vision. I see him as a surefire first-liner, but not a winger who can drive play (like Kakko or Krebs). That being said, he plays with enticing physicality and has an advanced 200-foot game.

The reason I personally believe he will not be at the top of the Devils draft list is threefold. First, the Devils brass of Shero and Castron have clearly placed an emphasis on team speed. Many of the other players ranked around him -- Byram, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Krebs -- can absolutely fly. Though Kakko is also not exactly a speed demon, he is universally considered a tier above the next group of players to be drafted, and drives possession as well as finishes. Secondly, there is some uncertainty as to when Podkolzin will come to North America. If he were to sign a KHL deal, it could be 2022-23 before his drafting team gets him in camp. This uncertainty is definitely going to be on the mind of any team which considers him. We're not talking Andrei Svechnikov, who played in the OHL and said repeatedly he wanted to ply his trade in the NHL as soon as possible. Lastly, though every GM always talks up the "best available player" game, the Devils have glaring organizational needs at pretty much every position except left-shooting winger. They need LD, RD, C and right-shooting wingers.

Personally, my rankings are never exactly the same as my list of players I want on the Devils. I also have Matthew Boldy ranked quite highly, but, like Podkolzin, he is not the best fit for the NJ organization.

I believe you are absolutely correct that the three teams most likely to take Byram in the #3-#5 range are the Devils, Vancouver and Detroit. Most teams, in my estimation, would decide between Cozens/Podkolzin/Dach at #3. I believe the most likely #3 overall pick is Cozens. Even NJ and Detroit would likely strongly consider Cozens at #3, even if eventually going with Byram. I think the only team who is an absolute lock to take Byram at #3 would be Vancouver.

To answer your final question to the best of my ability, I think you are asking essentially: "who do the Devils take at #5 or #6 overall if Cozens and Byram are both off the table?"

I still would not take Podkolzin here. My rankings (for the Devils, not my personal rankings) after the top 4 are:

5)Turcotte
6)Zegras
7)Krebs
8)Newhook
9)Podkolzin
10)Boldy

That being said, if the Devils took Podkolzin or Boldy at #5 or #6 it would not be a disappointment. They're both simply outstanding prospects. I'd just rather have Turcotte/Zegras, I think they fit in better with what the Devils need and what they are trying to do.

You had me at Turcotte’s closest comparison is Nico. Where do I sign?

Oh I said that already? It deserves repeating. If Hughes Kakko Cozens or Byram don’t make it to NJ’s pick, Turcotte sounds like a great consolation prize. Another Nico? Two Nicos at center? Add one more Bratt and you are looking at great young top six all of a sudden. Two Nicos, the mind boggles.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Oh I said that already? It deserves repeating. If Hughes Kakko Cozens or Byram don’t make it to NJ’s pick, Turcotte sounds like a great consolation prize. Another Nico? Two Nicos at center? Add one more Bratt and you are looking at great young top six all of a sudden. Two Nicos, the mind boggles.

I share your exuberance and anticipation. And I agree we are not talking about Turcotte nearly enough -- the kid is just an exceptional talent. His skating, vision and two-way play are all just off the charts. He might have been taken #3 overall by Montreal over Kotkaniemi if he were available in last year's draft.

The other fact which we (myself included) are not mentioning nearly enough is that, in addition to the lottery pick, the Devils have another pick just outside the first round, then two more second rounders, then three more picks in the top 100.

A good draft by Shero and Castron will put this franchise in tremendous shape for the future.

I will try to spend more time discussing possible later round targets for the Devils. There are several high-upside players likely to be available at positions the Devils need to beef up their organizational strength at, such as C (Spirodonov, Nikolayev, Farinacci), RW (Brink, Teply, Donovan) and RD (Thomson, Constantinou, Tuomisto, McCarthy).

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

5)Turcotte
6)Zegras
7)Krebs
8)Newhook
9)Podkolzin
10)Boldy

You certainly are a joy to have around, Steve. Wish you posted here all year long.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You certainly are a joy to have around, Steve. Wish you posted here all year long.

Ha, I started early this year. But thanks. If anyone ever wants to ask me a question or get me to post on a particular Devils (or other) board, you can always hit me up on my Twitter account (@StIves72). I'd give you all my Instagram, but all the beer and cat photos would probably grow tiresome to the lot of you.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Ha, I started early this year. But thanks. If anyone ever wants to ask me a question or get me to post on a particular Devils (or other) board, you can always hit me up on my Twitter account (@StIves72). I'd give you all my Instagram, but all the beer and cat photos would probably grow tiresome to the lot of you.

You take pictures of cats with beer? I’ll have to do that with my dogs. I bet they like a good stout or lager.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i’m going to play devil’s advocate and say i would not prefer another nico. if we are picking a forward, i want one that is a pure goal scorer (which is also why i’ll be equally happy to land kakko as opposed to hughes if we land at #2). i would go with cozens over turcotte, maybe even zegras over turcotte.

My3Sons

Sponsor
i’m going to play devil’s advocate and say i would not prefer another nico. if we are picking a forward, i want one that is a pure goal scorer (which is also why i’ll be equally happy to land kakko as opposed to hughes if we land at #2). i would go with cozens over turcotte, maybe even zegras over turcotte.

As long as the pick is BPA I won’t be disappointed. Absolutely room for different kinds of players in NJ. Let’s face it, the team can use improvement is just about every area.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I'm with you on this. While I would be thrilled with Hughes and wouldn't mind Turcotte at all, the players I'm most interested in are Kakko, Byram and Cozens.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Like STI has stated, there are numerous great choices in the top 10 this draft. I can absolutely see the argument that a player biased to shooting over playmaking is preferable. I tend to default to the driver of play style of player but a good team needs every kind of player to be successful.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
bottom line: unless we win out the rest of our schedule (lol) we’re going to have an opportunity to draft a blue chip prospect and several prospects with high ceilings

Reactions: My3Sons

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Which of the top center prospects are most likely to move to the wing? Based on what I've seen and heard Cozens will likely move to RW? Dach, (doesn't seem like a Shero/Castron pick) Turcotte, and Newhook seem like safe bets to stay at C while there are some questions about Zegras and even Hughes. Could use some insight

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Which of the top center prospects are most likely to move to the wing? Based on what I've seen and heard Cozens will likely move to RW? Dach, (doesn't seem like a Shero/Castron pick) Turcotte, and Newhook seem like safe bets to stay at C while there are some questions about Zegras and even Hughes. Could use some insight

Zegras and Krebs play the wing a lot now, Cozens I see as a center more than a wing. Turcotte would not move in my opinion since he has mainly centered his own line in the US program and is maybe the best two way center in the draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Turcotte can score. Both he and Nico have 30+ goal upside in my mind. Turcotte is also extremely fast, skilled, accomplished defensively. I'm not saying I would take him over Cozens at #4. I'm saying I would take him at #5 if Byram and Cozens were off the board.

I love Zegras too, and Zegras is more of a puck magician than Turcotte. But Turcotte controls play a bit better and is just so good at every aspect of the game. Turcotte might be a bit closer to the NHL. These reasons lead me to keep Turcotte just above Zegras in my rankings, though it's truly very close in my eyes.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Again, there are no questions about Hughes. He's a C, you want him to control the puck as much as possible and, though not much has been written on this, his defensive game is actually a bit above average (which is uncommon for players of this level of offensive skill at this age).

Cozens will also be a C and so will Zegras, but both of them are versatile and will be slotted to the wing in certain situations. Zegras has been particularly versatile. He has played both wings around the other three star centers for the US-NTDP (Hughes, Turcotte, Beecher).

The one early pick listed at C who will likely wind up an NHL wing, in my opinion, is Peyton Krebs.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If we don't win a top 2 pick and get Hughes or Kakko I'm loving all the player projected to go in the top 10. I feel like Byram is the biggest need for us personally but guys like Cozens Turcotte Krebs all seem like very good picks.

I agree. I think this will be a banner draft for the Devils. I trust the work Shero/Castron have done, and this year they are armed with a lottery pick, three second rounders, and 6 picks in the top 100.

I agree the Devils come away with a franchise cornerstone. Hughes and Kakko are indeed special, but Byram/Cozens/Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs/Podkolzin/Dach/Boldy are all just outstanding prospects, as well. There is pretty much zero chance the Devils don't come away with one of those blue-chip kids.

My3Sons

Sponsor
STI - how would Turcotte compare to Tyson Jost? He was seen as a two way tough competitor at center. Fast forward from the draft and he gets mixed reviews from COL fans. Some suggest he’s a bit small and a bit limited by his skating. I don’t recall any of those criticisms of him at the time of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad