2019 Copa America

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Honestly I don't think most of us are surprised.
Perhaps, simply because it's Argentina and the fact that one of, if not the best player in history plays for them, we think they're automatically going to go get some silverware and thus the massive expecations hover.
They have been close to it, like really close to glory in both CA and WC. But let's be honest, this generation of Argentinian players has lost their chance (Messi/Kun/Di Maria) and what is currenty there just doesn't seem that promising except Dybala.
They seem to be in a transition period and that's just the fact of it, they are not able to summon a decent enough squad to challange at the moment. Like I said, perhaps because of the history and the 1 player currently in their team that's hard to swallow but it shouldn't. Brazil got stomped at home 7-1 in a WC, Netherlands has missed major tournaments recently. It happens. Football is not like hockey where unless there's a new ice age where people in Africa and Latina America can get a chance to level up, the top dogs will remain for the forseeble future. Nowadays just look at the last WC, tactics have evolved and many teams thought as very weak are actually very competitive.

Anyway, let's give credit to Colombia, perfect example of a nation that went through a generational drought for some time and now they have a been having a great squad and that's all it is with Argentina.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
2E8DA4D1-31E2-4F1C-91B5-FF51510F5163.jpeg

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Anyway, let's give credit to Colombia, perfect example of a nation that went through a generational drought for some time and now they have a been having a great squad and that's all it is with Argentina.

But Colombian football has developed as a whole, they used to be one of the worst footballing countries in South America until fairly recently and had no history of success at all.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Argentina FA can only blame themself for all these years of underperforming. I dont know would they have amounted to anything had Sampaoli not been fired but atleast they could get out of their own half when he was around. Regularly had good posession numbers even if the endproduct was none existent.

Then they go and appoint his assistant with no experience what so ever.

There are very deep rooted problems in everything that surrounds the NT and there are no quick fixes. Having a proven coach and giving him time would go a long way. I would've stuck with Sampaoli.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
But Colombian football has developed as a whole, they used to be one of the worst footballing countries in South America until fairly recently and had no history of success at all.
Colombia in the 90s might have been one of the best teams just didn’t find success at WC. They made all the WCs in the 90s and were a force in the qualifiers. It was considered their Golden Era and had some legendary players like Higuita and Valderrama. Also, they won Copa America 2001....

Reactions: Pouchkine

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Argentine FA are either completely clueless or are deliberately trying to make a joke out of its NT. From appointing Maradona years ago, then going for an ultra defensive coach and follow that up with an ultra offensive coach in Sampaoli, not having any kind of long term plan for the NT or youth development, etc etc and now with so many older players retiring and a lack of elite talent to replace them you go with a manager with no coaching experience whatsoever?
In an interview after the game Scaloni said they mostly played very well but they lost because the pitch was really bad :laugh:

Clueless FA appointing just another clueless manager. Looking at the setup of the team last night -both in personnel and tactics- it was destined to fail when it mostly looked like this

56fwAVT.jpg

56fwAVT

Then of course you have probably the worst central defenders in ages (which always used to be a strength) and the worst central midfield since the beginning of the world, then you have the best player ever and no clue how to use him and an insanely talented kid in Dybala you let rot on the bench.

I think it will be a miracle if this team even makes the semis

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Actually Messi should retire from Argentina for many reasons and they wouldn't be any worse without him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Colombia in the 90s might have been one of the best teams just didn’t find success at WC. They made all the WCs in the 90s and were a force in the qualifiers. It was considered their Golden Era and had some legendary players like Higuita and Valderrama. Also, they won Copa America 2001....

1990 was only the second time Colombia ever qualified for the World Cup. Prior to Atlético Nacional winning Copa Libertadores in 1989 even their club sides had never achieved anything. In fact most football fans would struggle to name even just one Colombian footballer before the early 1990s generation. They just weren't very good.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
1990 was only the second time Colombia ever qualified for the World Cup. Prior to Atlético Nacional winning Copa Libertadores in 1989 even their club sides had never achieved anything. In fact most football fans would struggle to name even just one Colombian footballer before the early 1990s generation. They just weren't very good.

not sure what your point is? You had previously said up to now Colombia had been one of the worst teams in SA and never had any success. So I just pointed out that Colombia actually had a Golden Generation before this one and that they actually have had at least one major success. So again, sorry just not sure what's the point you're tyring to put forth...?

my original point that you had quoted was that countries go through generational droughts, and that's what Argentina is going through and similarly Colombia went through one from having a good generation 90's-early 2000s then gap until 2016 basically.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Colombia is the second largest country in South America. If you ask me they are merely just taking their place where they belong.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
what does the size of a country have to do with anything specially when it comes to football? lol

When the decline of a football country is in part due to security issues, once those are removed as they now largely are, it definitely matters. They will inevitably have more quality to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad