2019 Copa America

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I agreed with the sending off as I hate that shit. Refs won't give reds for anything anymore.

Great goal by Cavani.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also Argentina at that time were runners up in the previous world cup ('90) with legends. I dont even think Uruguay made the Wc in 2002 but maybe they did but were eliminated fast. I could be wrong.

Sure Argentina had a great team three years before, but that 1993 side wasn't really anywhere near it despite the emergence of young Batistuta and Simeone:

Goycochea - Altamirano, Borelli, Ruggeri - Redondo (-> Acosta), Rodríguez (-> García), Saldaña, Simeone, Zapata - Batistuta, Bello

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Security matters in terms of youth football, and a cartel problem to the extent there was one in Colombia would lead to a football crazed country with more people developing less talent than their much smaller neighbors. Their drought in the 00's directly correlates with those issues. A country of their size that cares this much about football should be this talented and should take their place near the top of South American football. I think they should be as good as Argentina for the most part. That's what I'm saying.

Yeah, just think what a high profile murder of Andres Escobar did to discourage a lot of young footballers.

Reactions: Pouchkine and Evilo

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Sure Argentina had a great team three years before, but that 1993 side wasn't really anywhere near it despite the emergence of young Batistuta and Simeone:

Goycochea - Altamirano, Borelli, Ruggeri - Redondo (-> Acosta), Rodríguez (-> García), Saldaña, Simeone, Zapata - Batistuta, Bello
Ruggeri was one great defender, Goycochea was the Argentine GK, the rest I don't know about them, I'll give you that.

But beating this country 5-0 is to this day one of the biggest upsets of all time and a mediocre squad could have never accomplished that. They were one of CONEMBOL forces till 2003ish, then Falcao gave a whole new hope and he's by far Colombia's greatest player. Sadly, they peaked in 2014 while he was injured.

This Copa is Uruguay's all the way. Anything else is an upset.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yeah, just think what a high profile murder of Andres Escobar did to discourage a lot of young footballers.

but did it though?? you're going to tell me just that one incident really discouraged X amount of kids in a country where soccer is basically the only sport to make any actual sort of dent whatsoever to it's youth liking soccer and having any substantial dent in the development of football in that country? Yeah I'm going to say no.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I just want to take this time to admire and praise Oscar Tabarez. Man came out with a cane to manage his team and is 72 years old. He's looking kinda frail. He's coached Uruguay since 2006, I reckon he has to be one of if not the longest serving NT coaches or even club coach. Also at 72 he has to be one of the oldest coaches as well.
Since he took over Uruguay has been a fun side to watch, they've made every WC and won a Copa America.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

People can take this for what it's worth. Colombian teams have been in the final of the Libertadores two times since 1999. Before that, they were in the final all the time. Their domestic football has never really recovered from that era, they don't even have a team in the knockout stages now. Sudamericana, same thing. They were in the first final in 2002 and the next time they were in the final was 2014, but they have had a little more success than that.

Narco football was a thing, people can take it for whatever they want and draw whatever conclusions they want from it. One of my beliefs is that parents didn't want their kids away from home in an unsafe country playing for clubs that were funded by drug money. All the big clubs there were taking dealer cash and Escobar himself was funding multiple teams. Then, there's the fact that these dealers weren't around to fund these teams forever and those teams had to deal with the ramifications of no longer having those funds.

but did it though?? you're going to tell me just that one incident really discouraged X amount of kids in a country where soccer is basically the only sport to make any actual sort of dent whatsoever to it's youth liking soccer and having any substantial dent in the development of football in that country? Yeah I'm going to say no.

Actually, as soon as all those dealers were...dealt with, most of those clubs absolutely collapsed upon themselves and had no money, which is where we go back to that era destroying youth development. The dealers also killed referees btw. I wouldn't want my kid having any part of that. I think there's a very clear correlation between all these things. There are also people in the country who feel the same way and this is in countless articles where it is clearly stated that teams did not have the sponsors to afford to invest in youth football specifically because of people getting murdered.

Brazil is a mess too, but their society is structured a lot differently and these things have never really had an impact on football. Anyway, I do think that Colombia is taking their place, and that for the most part they should be as good as Argentina from now on. Not saying they will, but they should. The players still leave the domestic teams as fast as they can, which is a problem I don't really see changing any time soon.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I just want to take this time to admire and praise Oscar Tabarez. Man came out with a cane to manage his team and is 72 years old. He's looking kinda frail. He's coached Uruguay since 2006, I reckon he has to be one of if not the longest serving NT coaches or even club coach. Also at 72 he has to be one of the oldest coaches as well.
Since he took over Uruguay has been a fun side to watch, they've made every WC and won a Copa America.

And I remember Tabarez being the Uruguay manager already at the 1990 WC and thinking he was an older man already back then. Certainly couldn't see him going on 30 yerars later...

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Maybe an ignorant question but why is attendance so poor for this tournament? I know South America is a huge continent and not as wealthy as Europe but it was only last year thousands and thousands of South Americans flocked to Russia

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe an ignorant question but why is attendance so poor for this tournament? I know South America is a huge continent and not as wealthy as Europe but it was only last year thousands and thousands of South Americans flocked to Russia
Could be the leader in Brasil could be becuase it is saturated. No idea tbh just thinking about possibilities

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Ticket prices? Huge stadiums as well maybe too big and foreign fans might wait for the knockouts since 8/12 go through.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
People in Brazil are not interested in watching other teams than their own, so it's not really surprising. The last time around there were a lot of games with only a few thousand spectators so compared to that this has been excellent.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Copa rarely has good attendance btw. People save their money for qualifiers too, remember that all these teams play each other all the time. A trip to Russia would have destroyed every traveling supporter from SA who wasn't rich.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Eduardo Vargas is such a weird player. Has had so many different clubs already, never really found a home, yet he's been dynamite for the Chile NT. The guy has 40 international goals. Forty! :eek:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Eduardo Vargas is such a weird player. Has had so many different clubs already, never really found a home, yet he's been dynamite for the Chile NT. The guy has 40 international goals. Forty! :eek:
Yeah I've always found that weird. When he plays for Chile he always ups his level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad