RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He got Covid, he's out
801145542-tumblr_lmuac2FsxB1qlr76bo1_1280.jpg

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Will he get a short look at NHL action before seasons end?

Anybody watching him in detail?

Haven't been able to watch him since he joined ahl. Scoring was never going to be a problem. His defence was developing before he left for US.

Anybody been watching him can comment how his defence been looking and also just comment generally on how he s been looking?

With 41 points in 34 games, I doubt he has been doing too bad

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Will he get a short look at NHL action before seasons end?

Anybody watching him in detail?

Haven't been able to watch him since he joined ahl. Scoring was never going to be a problem. His defence was developing before he left for US.

Anybody been watching him can comment how his defence been looking and also just comment generally on how he s been looking?

With 41 points in 34 games, I doubt he has been doing too bad

I've seen 4 of the Roadrunner games...Maccelli is the best player on the team. It is easy to see that he has incredible vision, his passing is supernatural and just recently if you catch the Roadrunner highlights it is in true form with how perfect he puts the puck for Carcone and others to put it in the net. I wish he would shoot more, as I think he passes up shooting opportunities for that extra pass, but because he's so successful at it, he will definitely be a playmaker at the next level.

His defense isn't great, but it isn't poor either...needs to continue to get stronger, but he should get a call up at the trade deadline as he will definitely take Kessel's spot when he leaves.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I've seen 4 of the Roadrunner games...Maccelli is the best player on the team. It is easy to see that he has incredible vision, his passing is supernatural and just recently if you catch the Roadrunner highlights it is in true form with how perfect he puts the puck for Carcone and others to put it in the net. I wish he would shoot more, as I think he passes up shooting opportunities for that extra pass, but because he's so successful at it, he will definitely be a playmaker at the next level.

His defense isn't great, but it isn't poor either...needs to continue to get stronger, but he should get a call up at the trade deadline as he will definitely take Kessel's spot when he leaves.

Thank you so much for the detailed update. Very much appreciated.

Good to hear his D is not a major issue. It's definitely something I hope he continues to focus on.

Also he can definitely shoot. He has a great wrister. Usually he splits goal and assists evenly but this season assists are coming more and more. Can't wait till he gets a look on the NHL so I can watch him again a little bit.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Thank you so much for the detailed update. Very much appreciated.

Good to hear his D is not a major issue. It's definitely something I hope he continues to focus on.

Also he can definitely shoot. He has a great wrister. Usually he splits goal and assists evenly but this season assists are coming more and more. Can't wait till he gets a look on the NHL so I can watch him again a little bit.

Yes, his shot is excellent, and he does that little pull in to change the angle...which is why I'd like him to shoot more, his shot is really good. But his passing is his biggest asset. I'm really excited about this player for sure. Can't wait to see him replace Kessel on the PP, he'd be able to set up everyone at the pro level until Guenther comes along and replaces him due to his one-timer ability. But Maccelli should be a staple on PP2.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He's always been #63 in Liiga, wonder why he switched to #72 for Tucson...we didn't have a #63 in the organization, so it's funny, but probably has something to do with the #9, given the fact that #63 & #72 add up to #9

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
See he played near 15 min in the game last night. Nothing in the box score for him. For anyone who watched, how did he look all around? He seem to have any chemistry with Galch/Kessel?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I've been a big fan of his since his draft year. I watched him a decent amount of time in Liiga for Ilves. But have only seen highlights from Tuscon.

2 things that surprised me a little last night:

1) Speed- He's always been a bit shifty and fluid, but I wasn't sure about his top end speed. It looks improved to me.

2) Aggressiveness- I don't mean physically but rather "I'm going to try and make a play" or "I'm going to take this puck and skate with it" instead of the typical rookie who looks to pass it away as soon as he touched it. There was that one play where he got the puck in the D zone and started to skate out with it, looking to maybe pass it, he saw nobody was stepping up and was like "Screw it" he put the jets on and took it deep into the offensive zone. You could say decisiveness or confidence here instead of aggressive, I suppose, but I like to see that in a young player.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I've been a big fan of his since his draft year. I watched him a decent amount of time in Liiga for Ilves. But have only seen highlights from Tuscon.

2 things that surprised me a little last night:

1) Speed- He's always been a bit shifty and fluid, but I wasn't sure about his top end speed. It looks improved to me.

2) Aggressiveness- I don't mean physically but rather "I'm going to try and make a play" or "I'm going to take this puck and skate with it" instead of the typical rookie who looks to pass it away as soon as he touched it. There was that one play where he got the puck in the D zone and started to skate out with it, looking to maybe pass it, he saw nobody was stepping up and was like "Screw it" he put the jets on and took it deep into the offensive zone. You could say decisiveness or confidence here instead of aggressive, I suppose, but I like to see that in a young player.

He's always had wheels...always been extremely fast. I'd like to see a race between him and Koly...that would be a good match...his vision is off the charts though and he's got a great shot to, just doesn't use it enough. If you catch the Sunday's game, you can see it in action...I'll try and find the clip.

Reign vs. Roadrunners | Feb. 27, 2022

Here it is...1st goal 4 seconds into the clip.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's always had wheels...always been extremely fast. I'd like to see a race between him and Koly...that would be a good match...his vision is off the charts though and he's got a great shot to, just doesn't use it enough. If you catch the Sunday's game, you can see it in action...I'll try and find the clip.
Not always. It was considered a question before the draft. The skill was there, and he wasn't a "bad" skater, but for a guy who was supposed to make his bread and butter offensively there were questions as to whether it was good enough.

Black Book had him rated a 4 in hockey sense, 4 in compete, 8 in skill and 5 in skating.
Pronman said of him "He skates reasonably well when he gets going. Maccelli doesn't challenge defenders with speed."

Scott Wheeler said, a year after that draft, "My big concern with his game used to be about his skating and the pace he played with. And though he still has some kinks in his mechanics that he needs to sort out (notice his pitchfork stance below), he has shown improved power from his lower body this season"

I can't find my Future Considerations guide but I remember similar criticism.

It also jibes with what I saw of him in the USHL and in Ilves. His skating wasn't "bad" but it wasn't great and there were questions. Again, I was high on him because of skill. In my EHM Sim league I took him in the 3rd, ahead of where ARI took him (Btw I also took Soderstrom and Kolyachonok in that draft as well... and I've taken Bantle and Doan... so I have a nice collection of ARI prospects).

He's come a long way overall in every aspect, and he's stronger than he was in his D+1 year in Liiga. That's translated to his skating for sure, and shows you that he is a hard worker dedicated to becoming better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00