Prospect Info: 2019 #98 - Matias Maccelli - LW

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thanks! In your opinion how close is he to being NHL ready? Next season?

Any comparables? To me his play has reminded me of a Tatar type player. Goal scorer, little bit of a waterbug aspect in his east-west and seems to have a knack in finding good ice.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Any comparables? To me his play has reminded me of a Tatar type player. Goal scorer, little bit of a waterbug aspect in his east-west and seems to have a knack in finding good ice.

Finnish sport site compared him to Patrick Kane today. Maccelli has been looking really good in Finland lately. I think that he has to come over to North-America next year, but you guys are probably more aware than me about him coming over or not. Offensively he's too good for the Finnish league at least.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Finnish sport site compared him to Patrick Kane today. Maccelli has been looking really good in Finland lately. I think that he has to come over to North-America next year, but you guys are probably more aware than me about him coming over or not. Offensively he's too good for the Finnish league at least.
That's awesome to hear. I've never watched him in Liiga but just from stat watching I see he's 4th on his team in points per game. That seems inconsistent with being too good for the league. Wether you're right or not, I'm excited. There could be lots of opportunity on the Coyotes roster next season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's awesome to hear. I've never watched him in Liiga but just from stat watching I see he's 4th on his team in points per game. That seems inconsistent with being too good for the league. Wether you're right or not, I'm excited. There could be lots of opportunity on the Coyotes roster next season.

In terms of U21 goal scoring, he's really only below Lundell. Great pick for a 4th rounder.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
In terms of U21 goal scoring, he's really only below Lundell. Great pick for a 4th rounder.

It wouldn't surprise me to see both him and Lundell in the men's Ice Hockey World Championships in few months from now. The head coach Jukka Jalonen has showed some interest in Maccelli with that previous EHT (Euro Hockey Tour) tournament selection.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I wish I could link few goals and passes that he did lately. I don't think that the Finnish Liiga site works outside of Finland. Those were some highlight material things and indeed reminded of Patrick Kane even. He just flies by the defenders and seems to have that explosive first step (or how you say it) that is needed in the NHL.

You guys can try with some VPN to see if you can make these working. This Liiga.fi site is the official site of the Finnish Elite League.

Otteluseuranta | Tappara - Ilves 19.3.2021 | Liiga
-Maccelli's pass that lead to a goal here was impressive. Exploded by the defenders like nothing and he set up a free goal to his teammate.

Otteluseuranta | Pelicans - Ilves 12.3.2021 | Liiga
-The goal here by Maccelli is really impressive display of his explosive speed again. Either him or the defender is in the wrong league.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
That's right. All players (except the goalies) of all teams have to wear those due to covid, but it barely seems to help against covid. One team (HIFK) has 15 infections since few days ago.

Probably because the spread isn't happening on the ice.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Probably because the spread isn't happening on the ice.

Their opponent teams that had to be put to quarantine had few infections at the same time as this HIFK team so it did spread on the ice as well most likely, so that visor thing didn't help that much here.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Their opponent teams that had to be put to quarantine had few infections at the same time as this HIFK team so it did spread on the ice as well most likely, so that visor thing didn't help that much here.
It does help you not loosing teeth.
Thats a win in my book :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad