Prospect Info: 2019 #98 - Matias Maccelli - LW

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How has the Calder trophy been judged in recent years? If Maccelli wins the scoring race does he win the trophy, or is a bigger, younger, C with 1st round status more likely to win, regardless of total points?

Reactions: Hogan20

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How has the Calder trophy been judged in recent years? If Maccelli wins the scoring race does he win the trophy, or is a bigger, younger, C with 1st round status more likely to win, regardless of total points?
Imo it's always about the narrative. Maccelli would have to outpace the preseason favorites by a decent amount to leapfrog them imo. Especially if one of them plays on a team that plays above expectations.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He will get no attention because he plays here.

It’s beniers’ to lose as of right now
I don't think that plays much role. If Bedard plays in AZ next season he will start as the favorite and it will be his trophy to lose all year.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I don't think that plays much role. If Bedard plays in AZ next season he will start as the favorite and it will be his trophy to lose all year.
Bedard's not your everyday rookie though. Draft status plays in to the selection, but market does too I'm sure. If there were two different Beniers with similar stats, one in AZ and one in a bigger market I'm fairly certain the big market Beniers would be the favorite.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Bedard's not your everyday rookie though. Draft status plays in to the selection, but market does too I'm sure. If there were two different Beniers with similar stats, one in AZ and one in a bigger market I'm fairly certain the big market Beniers would be the favorite.
Didn't seem to hurt Keller in Calder voting. He finished 3rd.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sure, It did hurt OEL during his prime years though. And Kuemper. From my perspective they finished lower in their respective votings than they should've. Probably due to the market they played in.
Maybe you are a bit biased?;)

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Goals scored will be a discriminating factor. Maccelli needs to shoot more.

1668003132356.png

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Goals scored will be a discriminating factor. Maccelli needs to shoot more.

View attachment 605480
Beniers has really slowed down since bursting out of the gate. I think he'll come alive sooner rather than later, but do we think any of these guys will score more than 55 points? That'd be pushing their upper limit for me.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sure, It did hurt OEL during his prime years though. And Kuemper. From my perspective they finished lower in their respective votings than they should've. Probably due to the market they played in.
I don't remember where each finished in any year but neither deserved serious consideration for an Award. But if it makes you happy I can entertain that OEL should have been 12th instead of 14th!!!!!

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
The criticism or need for people to want true playmakers to shoot more will always be there. It’s rare for people to adjust and find more balance in their game like Crosby managed to do. He will be like Backstrom and Thornton in the sense they will always look to pass it off but he will make those around him better. Like those players, he seems to generate a lot off the turnover and has the vision to hit the trailing forward for premium scoring opportunities. It takes a while for players to play with good playmakers. They get this shocked look on their faces like they didn’t see the play developing. Once that chemistry is found we’re going to see even more scoring chances and pts. Certainly is a nice player to have on the PP being able to play both half walls like Ribeiro.

Reactions: Grimes

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
He's on pace for 55 assists.

No Coyote has ever done that. Never.

Top 3 highest:

1. Whitney, 53, 2011-12
2. Doan, 50, 2007-08
T3. Roenick, 48, 1998-99
T3. Yandle, 48, 2010-11
Trade him! He’s hurting the tank. Bedard will torch that list. Pull a Chicago and send him off somewhere for a couple 1sts…

In all seriousness, it’s a small sample size but impressive nonetheless.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He reminded me of Barzal last night in the sense that he is always truly looking for the perfect pass.

Not a bad thing, I like this kid, but once teams figure out he's a passer he's going to struggle until he learns to shoot enough that opponents have to respect that (which will re-open his passing lanes).

This is part of the development curve for young playmakers in the NHL. Some adjust quicker than others, curious to see where Maccelli ends up.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
He reminded me of Barzal last night in the sense that he is always truly looking for the perfect pass.

Not a bad thing, I like this kid, but once teams figure out he's a passer he's going to struggle until he learns to shoot enough that opponents have to respect that (which will re-open his passing lanes).

This is part of the development curve for young playmakers in the NHL. Some adjust quicker than others, curious to see where Maccelli ends up.
He was way more aggressive shooting the puck last night I thought.

Maccelli first 11 games of the season: 4 shots on goal
Maccelli last 2 games: 4 shots on goal

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He was way more aggressive shooting the puck last night I thought.

Maccelli first 11 games of the season: 4 shots on goal
Maccelli last 2 games: 4 shots on goal
That's good, he may be turning a corner.

I loved his agility and vision, great hands. I really like this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: