Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hence my question to Hench yesterday about how he viewed the possibility of Jost and Kaut on the third line assuming Compher and Donskoi are promoted to the second line. I don't mind Jost centering the third line but I don't want to see that line become an offensive black hole.

The way I see it, for our forward core to be ready to contend this season, we either need Newhook to be ready to step in next to Kadri after his college season ends, or we need to make a trade to upgrade upon Bura. So I don't see both Jimmothy & Joonas on our 2nd line in the near-to-intermediate future; when we're ready to contend, for realsies. With taking that job as the third wheel on the 2nd line, being the end-result that you hope for out of Kaut's development...after he's worked his way up the bottom 6 and pushed both of them aside.

Also worth noting that Jost was much more dangerous offensively when he was playing 3rd line minutes against other 3rd liners than he is when he has to bare the increased workload of a top 6 gig, on top of battling against tougher opposition. So I wouldn't really see a third line with Jost & Jimmothy / Joonas as an offensive blackhole, whether that third wheel is Kaut or Wilson / Calvert...if we don't trade Jost should he fail to cut it as a top 6er & settle into the 3c.

...at least not once our kids on the blueline gain the experience to get past their growing pains; assuming that Newhook (or whomever we trade for) helps Naz turn that 2nd line into a weapon that teams need to worry about -- even without my dream union of Mikko & Kadri -- so that all we'd need from the bottom 6 would be to chip in semi-regularly, rather than needing them to take some of the weight off of the big line's shoulders, like we did last year.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost was an effective 3C after returning from the Eagles. No more, no less.

I don't think that's a fair statement. He was one of their best players multiple times after being called up.

When he had four points in two games. When he had a three game point streak to end the regular season. When he had a three game goal streak to end the playoffs. In game 7 where he was buzzing around and might have been the Avs best player. He was more than just an effective 3C in those games.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think that's a fair statement. He was one of their best players multiple times after being called up. When he had four points in two games.

When he had a three game point streak to end the regular season. When he had a three game goal streak to end the playoffs. In game 7 where he was buzzing around and might have been the Avs best player. He was more than just an effective 3C in those games.

Effective 3Cs have hot streaks as well as cold ones, that's why they're 3Cs & not 4Cs/Nacho-eaters. So 3 games here & 3 games there, where his efforts yielded results in that role, don't really change anything for me. He still needed to play lower minutes against weaker competition to shine in those games :dunno:

I mean; I view Compher & Donskoi as plus 3rd-liners / capable middle-6ers, and I don't think that rating those two over Jost is one of my controversial opinions...but maybe I'm wrong about that lol.

Last edited:

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I don't think that's a fair statement. He was one of their best players multiple times after being called up.

When he had four points in two games. When he had a three game point streak to end the regular season. When he had a three game goal streak to end the playoffs. In game 7 where he was buzzing around and might have been the Avs best player. He was more than just an effective 3C in those games.
Jost had a lot of high end expectations put upon him to start out. We ALL viewed him as untouchable before he even played one game. He has been given every opportunity to flourish but unfortunately like Hench started, he simply is not an effective 2nd liner. Not his fault, it's Joe's. We knew going into this year we had to have a scoring 2nd line. Kadri was one step towards that but it takes another and another. I know he's a great teammate and a pal with the guys but hoping for 40 points.... I don't see it. And yeah I'd love to eat a truck load of crow with him

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Jost had a lot of high end expectations put upon him to start out. We ALL viewed him as untouchable before he even played one game. He has been given every opportunity to flourish but unfortunately like Hench started, he simply is not an effective 2nd liner. Not his fault, it's Joe's. We knew going into this year we had to have a scoring 2nd line. Kadri was one step towards that but it takes another and another. I know he's a great teammate and a pal with the guys but hoping for 40 points.... I don't see it. And yeah I'd love to eat a truck load of crow with him

Agree with most of this, but it’s still been only one game. I also don’t blame Joe for trying to give Jost every opportunity. He knows we’re looking at a great 6-10 years and he needs to decide this year whether Jost is one of those guys we’re paying long term or trading. With that said I think he only gets 35 points unfortunately. Hope I’m wrong and he puts it together asap.

Reactions: Hornstar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Effective 3Cs have hot streaks as well as cold ones, that's why they're 3Cs & not 4Cs/Nacho-eaters. So 3 games here & 3 games there, where his efforts yielded results in that role, don't really change anything for me. He still needed to play lower minutes against weaker competition to shine in those games :dunno:

I mean; I view Compher & Donskoi as plus 3rd-liners / capable middle-6ers, and I don't think that rating those two over Jost is one of my controversial opinions...but maybe I'm wrong about that lol.

My issue was with how you characterized him in your post. If you would have said he was an effective 3C who was also the Avs best player in multiple games after being called up, I think that would have been a fair statement.

Without saying the latter, you can apply the same to someone like Bellemare, since he can be an "effective 3C" if he was put in that role too. The difference being he's not likely to generate the scoring chances Jost did, or be one of the best players in games like he was.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Sorry to go off topic lads I was wondering what our lineup would have looked like if we did land Panarin at 11.5 - 12. I assume the Bura trade wouldn't have happened. ( Not sure about the timing on that one), and Wilson wouldn't have been resigned?

Donskoi - Kadri - Panarin
Nuke - Jost - Comph
Nieto - P.E. - Calvert

Second thought, that's a lot of coin and the boys looked damn good attacking the flames

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He certainly hasn't reached expectations yet, but I think it's a mistake to assume what kind of player he'll be before giving him this season to prove himself with legit top 6 talent. He has rarely had that in his career.

Maybe he doesn't do enough with this opportunity, or maybe he just can't get comfortable on the wing (what I'm worried about) but we need to see what he does with Kadri beyond one freaking game to know how well he'll do.

I'm not directing this towards you, but there's a lot of negative bias against him. This was evident by the fact 10-20 people all said he was terrible in his first pre-season game for some reason, and then Bednar came out and said he was great. Also evident by people talking about eating crow after literally one regular season game, where it's being exaggerated how bad he was too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The negativity isn’t based off one game. It’s that the game yesterday looked like every other game for him.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
So I've been told - not that it really matters, but I'll still share it - that Kamenev is not happy that Avs basically gave away his number to Kadri. He supposedly wears it as he idolises Fedorov and angry at the Avs (not that I think he has any power anyway).

Boohoo maybe he should learn to respect seniority

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Sorry to go off topic lads I was wondering what our lineup would have looked like if we did land Panarin at 11.5 - 12. I assume the Bura trade wouldn't have happened. ( Not sure about the timing on that one), and Wilson wouldn't have been resigned?

Donskoi - Kadri - Panarin
Nuke - Jost - Comph
Nieto - P.E. - Calvert

Second thought, that's a lot of coin and the boys looked damn good attacking the flames

When we land Hall in the summer it'll help us forget about this possibility

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The negativity isn’t based off one game. It’s that the game yesterday looked like every other game for him.

Everyone has played hockey before game 1 but Jost is the only one being defined by game 1.

Case in point, nobody is making a big deal out of the fact Grubauer was shaky for most of last season and was shaky again early in game 1.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
It's one game for Pete's sake. I think Jost puts up 40 points when all is said and done.

Jost needs to play with quality winger and center. I think if he plays with Kadri and Donskoi on a 2nd line, then props to Bednar for trying that line combo. This is our last step in order to be contenders. We have young D ready to break in and all we need is a 2nd line that can dominate just like our 1st line. Avs would be unstoppable.

We just need one more 2nd line star winger. Someone like Taylor Hall could make Avs a contender over night.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I would hate to trade Jost. Every time I talk to someone on HF boards on a trade subject. They almost always want Jost back. I guess there are outside teams that want to take a chance on him, just like we did with Nuke.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Everyone has played hockey before game 1 but Jost is the only one being defined by game 1.

Case in point, nobody is making a big deal out of the fact Grubauer was shaky for most of last season and was shaky again early in game 1.

Plenty of people brought up how shaky Grub was in the first two period. But his 3rd period was great.

Burakovksy got shit on relentlessly before even playing a single game for us.

There’s a negative aura around Jost because, he hasn’t done anything to provide hype around him outside of 15 games of 141.

Reactions: Hornstar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Plenty of people brought up how shaky Grub was in the first two period. But his 3rd period was great.

Burakovksy got **** on relentlessly before even playing a single game for us.

There’s a negative aura around Jost because, he hasn’t done anything to provide hype around him outside of 15 games of 141.

No it's not close to the same. That's why we're still complaining about Jost today, despite the fact he didn't even play that bad, and not complaining about Burakovsky and Grubauer.

If there isn't a negative bias against him, how do you explain about 10-20 people saying Jost was terrible in his pre-season opener, and Bednar saying he was great?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I would hate to trade Jost. Every time I talk to someone on HF boards on a trade subject. They almost always want Jost back. I guess there are outside teams that want to take a chance on him, just like we did with Nuke.
I think if we do trade for a top 6 improvement, Jost will be part of the package. Like you said, he is still attractive to other teams and one of those character guys that should still be an effective NHLer even if he doesn't reach his potential. A signed Kreider would be a realistic target with something on top of Jost. Obviously we were interested in him at the draft and I think he will definitely be targeted again.

Kreider - Kadri - Burakovsky/Donskoi
Wilson/Calvert - Compher - Burakovsky/Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert/Wilson/Nuke
Nuke, Kamenev

The Schenn contract will be a good comparable for Kreider, but hopefully more like 5 years and not 8

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MGM chemistry is way better than Mack and Drouin. I wouldn't want to give up prospects or picks for Drouin now that we have Kadri in place. If we're moving prospects and picks, it might as well be for Hall.

Yeah I'm straddling the fence on whether I think it might be worth it to pursue Drouin or not. Obviously the most important factor is the cost in trade.

Like you allude to though, the main reason to trade for Drouin is to pair him with Nate again, and move Mikko to Kadri's wing to balance out the lineup. That line with Mikko on it is just insanely dominant though. I'm not sure the Avs are a better team by separating them.

So if that's the case, I'm not sure it makes sense to give up assets for Drouin just to play with Kadri.

Then again, when I'm leaning towards the other side of the fence, I can think of other scenarios where it might make sense. For instance if Jost can't quite click with Kadri and shows he can't get comfortable on the wing, and should play center instead, then it might make sense to trade for a pure winger like Drouin.

In that scenario, it might be worth it to try and form a deal around Jost and Drouin. Giving Kadri a pure playmaker might formulate some nice chemistry, and then in games where Bednar needs to shake things up, he can swap Drouin for Mikko and see how that goes.

This is something they should revisit after the new year or around the deadline though after they see how Jost is working on Kadri's wing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
One reason I don't think Montreal would make that trade is they want a quality name back to satiate that market. Jost is not a name.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I'm willing to give Jost a month or 2 tops. If he still hasn't shown he's capable of producing with Kadri or whoever, I think I'd be ready to fully move on from him.

I'm pulling for the kid cuz he seems like a good guy and hard worker but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad