Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see the skating/strength improvement. Every year people talk about how he has improved and every year I just don't see it... He's a good kid, he works hard, and he's a good story to cheer for, but the hope springs eternal schtick is getting near expiration.

There was a significant improvement in Jost's skating after he worked with the Eagles skating coach for a couple weeks and came back up. It was noticeable to many people, and disproved the idea that there wasn't anything wrong with his stride, so therefore he couldn't improve.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't see the skating/strength improvement. Every year people talk about how he has improved and every year I just don't see it... He's a good kid, he works hard, and he's a good story to cheer for, but the hope springs eternal schtick is getting near expiration.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on him as well. I don't see anything more than a decent bottom six player, if that. Not enough finish, not enough speed, not enough power or skill.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on him as well. I don't see anything more than a decent bottom six player, if that. Not enough finish, not enough speed, not enough power or skill.

I think there are ways that he can be molded into a useful player and even a core adjacent piece, the Avs just seem completely determined to him being a top 6 forward. I can see ways that he can be made to work in that role, but with what they are shooting for here... it really seems like a square peg in a round hole situation. I really want Jost to prove me wrong and break out into a 50 point winger this year and take off. I just don't think that is likely. If he can't even put up 40 next to Kadri, I think there is a real issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm more of a proponent of a player having to earn their role and time. It isn't realistic and it doesn't always happen (I think we can all see Jost has been given some preferential treatment with regards to role each season), but I really don't have an issue with Bowers having to earn his spot. Even if that means a dealy. Now I think Bowers' skill set will have him in the NHL sooner rather than later as his speed, defensive ability and tenacity will lead to the Avs finding a way to have him in the lineup.

You've said the bolded many times but this also isn't true.

Jost's most common line mates with the Avs have been Wilson, Kerfoot, Compher, Calvert, Bourque, Ghetto, and Yakupov. Often, if not mostly in a bottom six role.

In his rookie year he averaged 14:38. Last year he averaged 13:00. Then in the playoffs he averaged 9:50. In his one game this year, he had 11:36. These are not the kind of minutes you get with a large role.

He had a three game point streak at the end of the regular season last year but had ice times of 11:33, 9:17, and 11:36. Then the next game (first of the playoffs) he had 7:57.

He had a three game goal streak to end the playoffs, but had ice times of 10:34, 15:44, and 11:56. Was one of, if not the Avs best player in that game 7 against SJ where he already scored, and they needed a goal, but he couldn't get out on the ice.

He was even sent down to the AHL last year, which is the opposite of preferential treatment. A few games after he was called back up, he put up 4 points in two games with a +4, but had ice times of 14:30 and 13:20 (in a game where he had 3 points). Then following his best game of the year he was given 12:43.

The only preferential treatment he's ever been given was being kept up in the NHL his rookie year, when he probably should have been sent down halfway through the season, but that likely was part of a loose agreement to get him to sign.

He hasn't been gifted a role he doesn't deserve every year. In fact, he seemingly couldn't do anything at the end of last season to get better line mates or earn a bigger role, despite being one of the best players during games.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Don't know if there's been preferential treatment or not, but I don't think it can be said that he hasn't been given chances. He even got time on the wing with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and looked quite bad. The Avs have tried just about everything to find him a permanent spot, it just won't happen. They didn't send him down to Loveland until it was clear he was struggling with his confidence. Frankly they should've left him down there longer, but IIRC injuries necesitated a quick callup.

The only time Jost has ever really looked like he was turning the corner was when he was playing center and had Landeskog as one of his wingers. Bednar clearly kept him on a short leash last night--he had the fewest minutes of any forward, and was the only Avs player not to get a single second of ice time on special teams.

Whether or not it's the right move it's pretty clear to me that, barring some amazing breakout this year, that the writing is on the wall.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Don't know if there's been preferential treatment or not, but I don't think it can be said that he hasn't been given chances. He even got time on the wing with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and looked quite bad. The Avs have tried just about everything to find him a permanent spot, it just won't happen. They didn't send him down to Loveland until it was clear he was struggling with his confidence. Frankly they should've left him down there longer, but IIRC injuries necesitated a quick callup.

The only time Jost has ever really looked like he was turning the corner was when he was playing center and had Landeskog as one of his wingers. Bednar clearly kept him on a short leash last night--he had the fewest minutes of any forward, and was the only Avs player not to get a single second of ice time on special teams.

Whether or not it's the right move it's pretty clear to me that, barring some amazing breakout this year, that the writing is on the wall.

That's what you're supposed to do with a skilled prospect like Jost though. Try him out with other skill guys to see how he does. How many games did he really get with MacKinnon and Mikko? One or two?

I do agree that he's best at center though. Especially with Landy who's down low game is a perfect fit for him. With Kadri on the team though he's going to have to find a way to play well on the wing if he wants to stay in the top six.

Reactions: flyfysher

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I've been told - not that it really matters, but I'll still share it - that Kamenev is not happy that Avs basically gave away his number to Kadri. He supposedly wears it as he idolises Fedorov and angry at the Avs (not that I think he has any power anyway).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So I've been told - not that it really matters, but I'll still share it - that Kamenev is not happy that Avs basically gave away his number to Kadri. He supposedly wears it as he idolises Fedorov and angry at the Avs (not that I think he has any power anyway).

A flight from Denver to Russia is about 14 hours.

Get moving, Kammy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have no idea how you guys are so low on Jost. He had a good game, just didn't finish. The points will come if he continues to play like last night.

Yeah he really wasn't that bad last game, he just had a slow start. Bednar was critical of a lot of guys but not Jost.

Reminds me of his first pre-season game where a bunch of people said he was terrible but myself and a few others thought he looked fine.

Even Bednar after that pre-season game trashed the team's performance, and even the games of Byram and Timmins, but said about Jost, "I thought he was good tonight. He was noticeable on pucks in the offensive zone. He was tenacious retrieving pucks. Winning battles. Competed hard. He was vocal on the bench helping guys out..."

@1:39

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
MGM chemistry is way better than Mack and Drouin. I wouldn't want to give up prospects or picks for Drouin now that we have Kadri in place. If we're moving prospects and picks, it might as well be for Hall.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I'm not really a big fan of Jost, but he's proven way more at the NHL level than Kamenev has. So I find this to be a rather odd opinion.
What exactly has Jost proven? He's a liability on our second line. As bad as I hated seeing Kerfoot on our top 6, I think (and it pains me deeply to say) he was better than Jost. He's out magic bean that that wouldn't sprout.
As for Kam, last year during our downward spiral I thought he was a bright spot for us. Maybe I was just reaching but I thought he looked good.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
What exactly has Jost proven? He's a liability on our second line. As bad as I hated seeing Kerfoot on our top 6, I think (and it pains me deeply to say) he was better than Jost. He's out magic bean that that wouldn't sprout.
As for Kam, last year during our downward spiral I thought he was a bright spot for us. Maybe I was just reaching but I thought he looked good.

Jost was one of the Avs better players after returning from the Eagles last season.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Jost was an effective 3C after returning from the Eagles. No more, no less.

Hence my question to Hench yesterday about how he viewed the possibility of Jost and Kaut on the third line assuming Compher and Donskoi are promoted to the second line. I don't mind Jost centering the third line but I don't want to see that line become an offensive black hole.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh more Jost talk. How does everyone like their crow?
Just curious, but what crow are you talking about? He's still super young and easily has the time to figure everything out. However, the way he's developing, it won't be into a top 4-5 forward on the club. That won't mean he's useless - I was a big fan of him at the draft -, but he hasn't really showed a lot of dynamic or elite talent at this current point in time. It's okay if he becomes a solid top 9 forward, but it would be a disappointment considering where he was drafted.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's one game for Pete's sake. I think Jost puts up 40 points when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad