Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The estimations look pretty good.... I think 5.75 for Bura is high. Especially considering we never finished the season so we dont see his full year of production.

I bet they go short term on him again on another prove it deal. My guess is 2 years in the neighborhood of 4.5M.

I also think maybe Nuke is high. But if we can get him for 3 years on that money I'm om board.

One thing to also remeber is the Avs aren't a team to carry 2 extra forwards and an extra Dman either. Usually just 1F 1D.

I think the Avs could have had as much as 7-8M in space to work with this summer after RFA signings.

Now with what has happened, I think we'll be just barely below the cap. No idea what will happen to player salaries or cap hits or any potential buyouts either. Going to be a truly bizarre offseason for so many reasons. Of which perhaps the biggest reason is the fact we dont even know when that offseason will be or for how long.

Expansion will be a huge factor in 2021 as well. As it stands right now there's a very good chance IMO that JTC ends up the one being selected. So that's an additional 3.5M in space freed up that should be replaced internally by the likes of Newhook/Kaut/LOC/Bowers.

Long story short I think if it weren't for the Covid-19 outbreak... Avs were set up fantastically to add another Top 6 forward this summer and not run into the cap ramifications of being a contender until 2023.

Reactions: Richard88

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
All good points, I pretty much agree with them all! I went conservative on most of my salary assumptions so I won't argue with anyone thinking they are a bit high.

Expansion will indeed remove someone but that someone will need to be replaced. But as you indicated, we currently have a great pipeline of prospect to replace that player with an ELC.

My conclusion was that absent the covid situation, everything was likely going to fall VERY nicely together, even with adding a $5M player. Which means that if the right oportunity presents itself, Joe could go aggressive and not have THAT MUCH cap juggling to do to make it fit afterward.

Like you said, fantastically set-up. Now lets see how things will unfold...

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Burakovsky's production is similar to that of Meier who signed for 4 years at $6m, Schmaltz who signed for 7 years at $5.85m, Konecny who signed for 6 years at $5.5m. I'd be surprised if the Avs could get him for less than $5m/year. Personally I'm expecting $5 -$5.5m on a 2-4 year contract.

Nichushkin at $2.75m is pretty bang on if you ask me. Statistically I don't think there is a more comparable player for Nichushkin than Miles Wood. Same age, very similar career totals and totals last season. Miles has a 4yr $2.75m contract.
Edit: Lehkonen is actually a better statistical comparison. He's signed at 2 years for $2.4m

The only estimate I think is off is Jost unfortunately. I think he'll get more than $1.5m and could get over $2. Bennett was a high draft pick and had some pretty disappointing ELC production and went on to sign for 2 years at $2.55m. Zacha also was a high draft pick, and had very similar ELC production to Jost and signed for 3 years at $2.25m.

Of course all these numbers are assuming no major change in the salary cap.

Last edited:

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

I’d love that, but doubt it for multiple reasons. The biggest reason being $$$.

Our ownership isn’t a huge spender to begin with, but the financial hit from coronavirus could really screw us here and force the team to have a smaller internal budget as a result.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
For shits though, if we signed petro it’s huge because of the moves it really allows us to make (on top of adding a top 5-10 Dman in the league). Specifically, it would allow us to package Timmins and return a top 6 forward locked in at a good rate.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Our ownership isn’t a huge spender to begin with, but the financial hit from coronavirus could really screw us here and force the team to have a smaller internal budget as a result.

Yes Avs will be impacted but they are by far not going to feel the worst of it relative to other teams.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Yes Avs will be impacted but they are by far not going to feel the worst of it relative to other teams.

Reactions: McMetal

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
For shits though, if we signed petro it’s huge because of the moves it really allows us to make (on top of adding a top 5-10 Dman in the league). Specifically, it would allow us to package Timmins and return a top 6 forward locked in at a good rate.

I have a hard time seeing Petro leave Stl for a division rival, but you never know if he gets stiffed in contract negotiations.

There would be a couple of factors here. Would the Avs be willing to pay 8+ million for a 30-year old defender? Do they think he is the difference in getting them a cup?

I think Petro would be a fantastic fit on the Avs blue line, but I worry about losing our young core to cap concerns and his decline in a year, or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Agreed, especially because of the Avs cap situation which is in great shape. It’s an easy out for them to spend the bare minimum this offseason and say they didn’t decrease payroll while other teams did.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I have a hard time seeing Petro leave Stl for a division rival, but you never know if he gets stiffed in contract negotiations.

There would be a couple of factors here. Would the Avs be willing to pay 8+ million for a 30-year old defender? Do they think he is the difference in give them a cup?

I think Petro would be a fantastic fit on the Avs blue line, but I worry about losing our young core to cap concerns and his decline in a year, or two.
I doubt he leaves too but even if he did, I think we’d easily get outbid. I’d worry he’d decline too and the contract be an anchor after 3 years.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
With everything going on, one thing that could actually happen is Taylor Hall takes a 1 year deal and tries to cash in next offseason. Would love to get him on a 1yr $8m deal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The term and money that'd be required to sign him along with how many of those years he'd play in front of Makar as the top pairing RHD makes zero sense to me. Even if we were to trade EJ this summer to make room for him (which we probably wouldn't even do), it would still make 0 sense.

Too much money, too old, not a roster spot we need to fill.

I expect Toronto to find ways to unload some cap room and offer him the 7 years big money contract he's looking for (and he's going to be overpaid for 4 of those years).

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Why do you think our ownership isn't a big spender? We've never been afraid to spend to the cap and had one of the highest payroll pre cap.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Why do you think our ownership isn't a big spender? We've never been afraid to spend to the cap and had one of the highest payroll pre cap.

But that’s no fun to complain about. Sadly the narrative still lingers in some minds apparently.

It always was lazy and inaccurate. Not that Kroenke is a saint or deserves to be defended but the straight up misinformation campaign gets super tiresome.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The biggest reason I felt like Kroenke was cheaping out with the Avs is that we would never pay for quality off ice personnel, for many years. Coach, goalie coach, scouting, development, etc

Reactions: CB Joe

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The biggest reason I felt like Kroenke was cheaping out with the Avs is that we would never pay for quality off ice personnel, for many years. Coach, goalie coach, scouting, development, etc
But more recently they did spend up to the cap when Roy took over.

I think the bigger problem was Lacroix's absentee regime.

Reactions: 5280

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Pietrangelo isn't going anywhere, it's a pipe dream to even think he is leaving St Louis.

They might have cap issues, but they do have options. They don't have any big name players in need of big raises soon except Schwartz in 2 years, and Parayko in 3.

Even though guys like Perron and Bozak have modified no trades you could still deal them to free up space.

Pietrangelo already makes 6.5, what's he going to make? 8.5? 9? That's only 2.5 increase, that means you only have to free up that much space. You could trade some depth guys like Sundqvist and Scandella replace them with ELC guys and easily make it work.

What I'm saying is, is when one of your best players comes up for a contract you explore all options before saying go hit the free market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad