Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I meant I wonder if they'll extend Gru.
I could see Joe trying to flip or upgrade on the starting goalie situation. I only say this because the Avs wont being giving Gru a big contact with 6-7m per year with his inconsistent play and injuries. Also no way Joe let's him walk to UFA without getting something in return

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I could see Joe trying to flip or upgrade on the starting goalie situation. I only say this because the Avs wont being giving Gru a big contact with 6-7m per year with his inconsistent play and injuries. Also no way Joe let's him walk to UFA without getting something in return
Why not? He just let Varly walk for nothing, and he had a much stronger track record as a starter, too. Francouz was available to back up Grubauer too. He may have moved Barrie, but that was only because he had a dire need at center and Barrie was the only expendable centerpiece that could land a player like Kadri in a trade.

At this stage in the team building cycle, letting guys walk to UFA is the price you pay for being good. Rebuilds are the time to be selling at the deadline, we're well past the stage when we should worry about recouping assets from pending UFA players.

Reactions: Foppa2118 and cgf

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it comes down to who seizes the net in the playoffs next year. If it’s Francouz then the Avs likely let Grubauer walk, or sign him for cheap, as a backup.

If Gru leads them on a playoff run, the Avs will want to keep him. I don’t think his contract would be that crazy, but I guess it just depends how well he plays next season.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Why not? He just let Varly walk for nothing, and he had a much stronger track record as a starter, too. Francouz was available to back up Grubauer too. He may have moved Barrie, but that was only because he had a dire need at center and Barrie was the only expendable centerpiece that could land a player like Kadri in a trade.

At this stage in the team building cycle, letting guys walk to UFA is the price you pay for being good. Rebuilds are the time to be selling at the deadline, we're well past the stage when we should worry about recouping assets from pending UFA players.

He also had two goalies lined up for post-Varly life.

None of the in-house options will be at the level of forcing the starter out in the foreseeable future, and cutting either one of Gru or Franky loose one summer under the assumption a better option will sign in FA is not a move a contender makes.

I do think an upgrade in net is on Sakic’s radar but I’d be shocked if a goalie move were to happen exclusively through FA.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Goalies don’t have the same value. The most you can gain is possibly a 2nd or 3rd pick. Gru likely stays and walks after his deal ends. Franc if he continues becomes the starter and Annunen joins the team within a few years.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Is Annunen the new Euro goalie half the board gets excited about only to have them amount to nothing?

None of the goalies in the system should get a sniff with the Avs before Gru/Franky’s futures are already decided.

Reactions: CB Joe

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I like the idea of keeping Nameste.

iu

*Within reason

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Is Annunen the new Euro goalie half the board gets excited about only to have them amount to nothing?

None of the goalies in the system should get a sniff with the Avs before Gru/Franky’s futures are already decided.

He’s at least 2 years away.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm surprised the Avs are on his list tbh. The other teams on his list have clear goaltending needs. Both in the AHL and NHL he'll have competition with the Avs, which honestly would probably be good for his development but most players don't see it like that.

Reactions: the_fan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Interesting, he posted pretty ridiculous stats, but SKA is always one of the strongest teams in all three leagues (KHL, VHL, and MHL) so hard to say how good he is. Judging by his shortlist, however, if I were him I would go to San Jose (then Carolina) as they got zero goalers of the future there.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is as much about playing time as anything... he has to get away from SKA to get prime minutes. They have 2 goalies already and the best goalie prospect in the world. Kid needs to get out somewhere to develop.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He could certainly get AHL playing time here. No way he expects a quick path to the NHL in his situation. He'd split time with Werner but aside from that he would have ample opportunity to earn himself starts.

Reactions: Foppa2118
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He could certainly get AHL playing time here. No way he expects a quick path to the NHL in his situation. He'd split time with Werner but aside from that he would have ample opportunity to earn himself starts.

Might reflect well with how the Avs brought Francouz up, have him an opportunity.

We are also a young and upcoming team, I think that helps with some of these decisions. Not just opportunity, but opportunity in a good situation.

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Interesting, he posted pretty ridiculous stats, but SKA is always one of the strongest teams in all three leagues (KHL, VHL, and MHL) so hard to say how good he is. Judging by his shortlist, however, if I were him I would go to San Jose (then Carolina) as they got zero goalers of the future there.

I think one could argue that the Avs don't really have a "goalie of the future" either. Both Frankie and Grub have contracts that end soon, and we have no idea what we really have in Werner or Annunen.

Add to that what was already mentioned regarding the Avs and Francouz, he could see Colorado as an enticing spot, one that can provide an opportunity.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If Joe Sakic loved us he wouldn’t either never talk to Canadian teams, or only rip them off. It’s rich hearing Leafs fans say the Avs always overrate their players when, right after the Kadri trade they were talking about how they ripped the Avs off so bad. There were plenty of them clamouring about how they got one of the best offensive dmen in the league AND got a younger, faster, Selke-caliber C with Corefoot

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Joe Sakic loved us he wouldn’t either never talk to Canadian teams, or only rip them off. It’s rich hearing Leafs fans say the Avs always overrate their players when, right after the Kadri trade they were talking about how they ripped the Avs off so bad. There were plenty of them clamouring about how they got one of the best offensive dmen in the league AND got a younger, faster, Selke-caliber C with Corefoot

They will never live that Kerflufle down lol.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

You'd this k Leads fans would have learned by now. Kessel for Seguin/Hamilton, Raycroft for Rask...

Honestly, that was a pretty even trade all things considered. They just didn't know how to use Barrie. He's always been and will always be a situational star, use him as a 4th forward and take the defensive risk.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You'd this k Leads fans would have learned by now. Kessel for Seguin/Hamilton, Raycroft for Rask...
Or any of the trades that never happened.

It was at its worst when Brian Burke took over. He’s a media junkie and Toronto was just a full on bender for him. Leaf Nation went along for the ride on that ego trip. Remem all the “Burke get what he wants!” Posts after he shot his mouth off about trading up for Tavares.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think one could argue that the Avs don't really have a "goalie of the future" either. Both Frankie and Grub have contracts that end soon.

And by the beginning of next season, neither will be in their 20s.

Edit: Sorry, Grubauer will be 29.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I had too much time so I went through the exercise of estimating next year's cap hit (20-21) and how much room we would have for adding a top 6 winger or 3C. I came-up with only $5M available... I then estimated the following year (21-22) and came-up with a cap hit of $84M. Here it is, with my assumptions, I rounded numbers also, feel free to comment.

20-21
G1 - Gru - $3.3M
G2 - Frank - $2M
D1 - EJ - $6M
D1 - Sam - $5M
D2 - Makar - $0.9M
D2 - Gaves - $2.5M (estimated as RFA)
D3 - Cole - $4.25M
D3 - Byram - $0.950
7th D - UFA signing - $1.2M (Zadorov traded, Timmins in the AHL until injury hits)
F1 - Mac - $6.3M
F1 - Rant - $9.25M
F1 - Landy - $5.6M
F2 - Naz - $4.5M
F2 - Bura - $5.75M (estimated as RFA)
F2 - UFA - $XX (see cap room left at the end)
F3 - Compher - $3.5M
F3 - Donskoi - $3.9M
F3 - Nich - $2.75M (estimated as RFA)
F4 - Bellem - $1.8M
F4 - Calvert - $2.8M
F4 - Jost - $1.5M (estimated as RFA)
13th F - Kamenev - $1M (estimated as RFA)
14th F - Kaut/O'Connor - $0.9M
TOTAL CAP HIT = $75.7M - leaving $5.8M for the missing forward IF the CAP stay at $81.5M.

Not lets try 21-22 with that new forward at $5M

21-22
G1 - Gru - $5M (signed as UFA - Gru or someone else, but I don't think they do their cup run with Frank and another replacement. They'll sign someone solid so I'm puting $5M there. Should probably be $6M)
G2 - Frank - $2M
D1 - EJ - $6M
D1 - Sam - $5M
D2 - Makar - $8.5M (estimated as RFA, could easily be higher...
D2 - Gaves - $2.5M (signed as RFA the year before)
D3 - Timmins - $0.9M (replaced Cole)
D3 - Byram - $0.950
7th D - UFA signing - $1.2M (still need a 7th Dman)
F1 - Mac - $6.3M
F1 - Rant - $9.25M
F1 - Landy - $7.5M (estimated as UFA
F2 - Naz - $4.5M
F2 - Bura - $5.75M (signed as RFA the year before)
F2 - UFA - $5M (signed as UFA the year before)
F3 - Compher - $3.5M
F3 - Donskoi - $3.9M
F3 - Newhook - $0.9M
F4 - Bower - $0.9M
F4 - Kaut - $0.9M
F4 - UFA 4th liner - $1.5M (estimated as UFA)
13th F - Kamenev - $1M (could be anyone)
14th F - O'Connor - $0.9M (could be anyone)
TOTAL CAP HIT = $84M - hard topredict what the cap will be. But this is manageable.

So based on these assumptions, a $5M UFA could make sense for the coming year and the one after.
But that also mean that we will need ALL these ELC to make it work: Byram, Timmins, Newhook, Kaut, Bower and O'Connor. So trading these gius to acquire the missing forward could result in issues down the road, unless other prospects like Kovalenko or Rampa make it.
Expansion will also play a role but kind of hard to predict...

Reactions: Perratrooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->