Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 10 | Hockey in august , meh not so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think that’s true. He is without a doubt the most polarizing player on that roster, the only other guy who comes close is Jost.

To be clear I never said he didn’t step up, I just don’t think either of those are great examples. There are far better ones that display Zadorov’s defensive acumen. The fact remains that he woke up and played better (still not good overall, but better) after completely mailing it in during game two. But that’s my point. For those handfuls of games you see him really take command and play like the defender he can be, there are way too many more where he’s just completely invisible or worse, he’s a liability. If they could keep him around for cheap, fine, but he wants his payday and he’s going to get it. I’m fine with the Avs choosing not to go that route.

Zadorov can be polarizing, and his detractors can still acknowledge when he plays well. The latter just doesn't happen.

That's the part I take issue with. He doesn't get credit for the things he does well, or the times he's played well, especially in the playoffs, or in shutting down McDavid, but he takes 100% of the blame for the bad games he has. That just reveals a high level of bias towards him by some.

I'm not referring to you with this, I don't know what you've said on the matter. I'm just speaking generally about the commentary on Z.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
He's f***ing 25 years old.

How on Earth is anybody STILL using the word potential to describe Zadorov in any way. Good grief.
All his mistakes seem something that's teachable. I still think he can be a much better player because of his size and strength. But mostly we should keep him because he's been consistently good in the playoffs. Who cares about his regular season play? Graves is also 25 and shit the bed in the playoffs. We need less guys who can't step up when the team needs them. Z is the perfect bottom pair guy that can step at times. I dont care if we over pay him a little. While G is on a great contract and Bo and Makar are on their ELC we should be keeping Z.

Graves and Cole are the ones we should be moving on from.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I’m not advocating that Z is still progressing but he does have more points and games than Chara had at the same age, so you never know.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m not advocating that Z is still progressing but he does have more points and games than Chara had at the same age, so you never know.
I get that. But how many defenseman have struggled til 26 and then figured it out? It's an extremely small list.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008

When Chara was 25, he was averaging just under 25 minutes a night and was 7th in Norris voting. (And averaged over 25 minutes a night over 28 career playoff games at that point).

(He had also played over 22 minutes the previous 3 seasons, and just under 19 his rookie season).

To use him as a comparable for Zadorov at this point is soooo odd. Zadorov has not shown any evidence that he has the IQ to develop his game at this point to get anywhere close to that level, yet alone consistently. He is way to prone to defensive breakdowns and most of the time they outweigh his benefits, and as a result he gets his minutes cut or outright benched.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Incredible really. The fact some people are still arguing for Zadorov at this stage is nothing short of incredible. Some are clearly just doing out of spite at this point but I'm sure they're aware of that as well.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Incredible really. The fact some people are still arguing for Zadorov at this stage is nothing short of incredible. Some are clearly just doing out of spite at this point but I'm sure they're aware of that as well.
Thats funny coming from the guy who sees 0 flaws in Barrie's game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a relief but it does seem kinda specific no?
Not that much since both goalies got injured and one of them numerous times. He was just chatting with some random guy in the comments, it's not like he posted an article on that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When Chara was 25, he was averaging just under 25 minutes a night and was 7th in Norris voting. (And averaged over 25 minutes a night over 28 career playoff games at that point).

(He had also played over 22 minutes the previous 3 seasons, and just under 19 his rookie season).

To use him as a comparable for Zadorov at this point is soooo odd. Zadorov has not shown any evidence that he has the IQ to develop his game at this point to get anywhere close to that level, yet alone consistently. He is way to prone to defensive breakdowns and most of the time they outweigh his benefits, and as a result he gets his minutes cut or outright benched.
Fake news

Reactions: cody275

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not that much since both goalies got injured and one of them numerous times. He was just chatting with some random guy in the comments, it's not like he posted an article on that.

He still needs to choose his words carefully though, if he's answering questions underneath his own article.

Saying it's fitness related, sounds specific to their fitness level. If that's not what he means, or he's making an assumption, he needs to make that clear.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't wait until Zadorov and Jost are traded too. Hopefully that means I don't have to scroll through like 100 posts a day complaining about them.
You better hope that we don't start the season with Compher as our 3C then...

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He still needs to choose his words carefully though, if he's answering questions underneath his own article.

Saying it's fitness related, sounds specific to their fitness level. If that's not what he means, or he's making an assumption, he needs to make that clear.
I dunno. The way it's worded to me it means that it's related to them not being able to stay healthy and not because they aren't good enough.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Jost is still here, he'll continue taking all the heat away from Compher.
Perhaps but it won't be the case for me. I've been on Compher's case for most of the season. I want all 3 of the college kids line gone. Kerfoot was step one. Jost and JTC are next.

Then we can bring in the new college kids... :)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dunno. The way it's worded to me it means that it's related to them not being able to stay healthy and not because they aren't good enough.

Yeah but see what I mean? You managed to say that without saying it's fitness related. Saying their issues centered around fitness, sounds like he's talking about their fitness level. Especially when he says something like "offseason programming" as a way to address the problem.

"Philipp Grubauer and Pavel Francouz's assessment could be something the organization addresses with an inquiry into items like offseason programming. Both of their issues centered more around fitness rather than their actual performances."

This isn't that big a deal, it's just a pet peeve of mine from reading Dater and Chambers do the exact same thing for years. Misleading people with poor choices in words, or saying something definitively that's only based on their assumptions, not insider info.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah but see what I mean? You managed to say that without saying it's fitness related.

I mean when you look at Grubauer's injuries this year and how he went down in the playoffs, it's clearly not related to him not being physically fit. :laugh:

You put too much weight in the word fitness.

Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even know what happened to Francouz.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

You are counting one season too many for Chara.

I’m not comparing the two. I’m just stating facts.

Chara (through the end of 2001-2002)
Born 1977/03/18
Gm 25 59 65 82 75= 306
G 0 2 2 2 10 = 16
A 1 6 9 7 13 = 36
Pts 1 8 11 9 23 =52
+/- 1 -8 -27 -27 30 = -31

Zadorov (career)
Born 1995/04/16
Gm=356
G=22
A=53
Pts=75
+/-= -10

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Problem with Z is he doesn't want to be the #6 guy on a 2M/year deal. If he were then we could keep him.

Reactions: Murzu and Linds

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean when you look at Grubauer's injuries this year and how he went down in the playoffs, it's clearly not related to him not being physically fit. :laugh:

You put too much weight in the word fitness.

Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even know what happened to Francouz.

Then he shouldn't be saying his issue was centered around fitness, and that the team would address it with offseason programming right?

If he's just speculating he needs to make that clear. Proper usage of words is important for journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad