Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 10 | Hockey in august , meh not so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I don't even know what to say at this point. He was on a 66 point pace in the regular season while playing for two garbage offensive teams. The centers he played with the most were Palmieri and Dvorak. You can't blame him for his team's lack of success while also laughing at how horribly run every team he has played for has been.

My opinion hasn't changed. If Hall's willing to sign a short-term deal, Sakic should be all over that. However, I wouldn't give him a long-term deal for a few reasons with one of them being that things are going to get very expensive for the Avs and that would probably be another Tavares situation.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bogosian won't take a #7 slot, I don't blame him either if he can find a better role elsewhere. Given his age and injury history he probably doesn't have much left.

Honestly, if you can convince the guy to take on a depth role and thereby make things a little easier on Graves and Byram, there are worse options out there. Talent-wise he's a HUGE upgrade on Zadorov whether people want to admit it or not. The big question is whether or not he can stay healthy, which of course is the big question.

But really, if he signs on for a cheap deal and understands what his role is, then I don't see an issue. Again, I'll take him 11 times out of 10 over Ceci, who I think is a truly mediocre hockey player who would be a DOWNGRADE on Zadorov. Bogosian would not be.

Frankly I'd rather inquire about Byfuglien, who's just plain better, but he's also older and I'm not sure if he even wants to play hockey anymore. If you can get that guy for cheap, hope that ankle of his holds up, and point him in the direction of the best lake in Colorado for fishing, then get him.
I have a feeling Byfuglien is going to be Toronto’s little sneaky addition.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sergachev is the two way version of Zadorov. He's definitely better but his brain keeps him from being a true top pairing guy. He's in a perfect spot in Tampa where Hedman and McDonagh take a lot of responsibility off him. I don't think Cale and Girard would provide the same insulation here.

I don't really want to trade Byram for Sergachev, but Serg is much better than a two way Zadorov.

He's a 40 point D man who by all accounts from Hedman and his GM has turned into a legit top pairing guy who's strong defensively.

It's interesting that some would hate that trade, and still keep their skepticism about Byram being better than a 40 point two way D man. Again I don't want to make that trade, but if all you think Byram can be is a 40 point two way D man, why wouldn't you want to trade him for a D man that's already that in the NHL, and can play next to Cale right now?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't really want to trade Byram for Sergachev, but Serg is much better than a two way Zadorov.

He's a 40 point D man who by all accounts from Hedman and his GM has turned into a legit top pairing guy who's strong defensively.

It's interesting that some would hate that trade, and still keep their skepticism about Byram being better than a 40 point two way D man. Again I don't want to make that trade, but if all you think Byram can be is a 40 point two way D man, why wouldn't you want to trade him for a D man that's already that in the NHL, and can play next to Cale right now?
I said he's better than Z in my post. I still don't think he's quite a top pairing guy, more like a good #3. I just think he still lacks the consistency of being a top pairing guy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was using them together a lot in all situations in that Dallas series. Especially after EJ went down he started relying on those two big time.

They're not just good offensively together either. The creativity and smarte they both bring allow for such well orchestrated and easy zone exits. And Cale has started engaging physically to the point where they arent really even at a major disadvantage in thag regard.

Use them effectively and they are a dominant pairing.

Bednar started rotating guys both on the back end and up front. It definitely helped that third pairing that was getting absolutely destroyed previously (I'd add it did backfire with the forwards at a crucial moment in game 7 unfortunately).

I don't really have a problem with it, but keep in mind we're also talking about them being the top pairing in this context with a 2nd pairing of EJ/Sergachev I guess. I don't love that. You're asking way too much out of the team's two most talented blueliners. In this scenario they're taking on tough matchups AND they're having to generate a majority of the offense. Separately it'd be harder for the opposition to focus on just one pairing. It probably requires both guys to play a huge number of minutes and that's not at all ideal either. You could tell Makar was just getting exhausted out there, Girard too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I said he's better than Z in my post. I still don't think he's quite a top pairing guy, more like a good #3. I just think he still lacks the consistency of being a top pairing guy.

Fair enough. I'm just saying he's better than Z in pretty much every area, so I'm not sure that's an apt comparison, even if you acknowledge Sergachev is better.

Maybe if they played a similar style but they're pretty different.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Fair enough. I'm just saying he's better than Z in pretty much every area, so I'm not sure that's an apt comparison, even if you acknowledge Sergachev is better.

Maybe if they played a similar style but they're pretty different.
I just meant Zadorov in the sense that his brain and consistency hold him back.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Ooof, I dunno about that.

Byram projects to be a fair bit better than Serg. He was honestly a disappointment for a while before finally starting to build some consistency to his game this year... But I still don't think he ever ends up higher than a 3 and not one that is all that strong in his own zone.

If we are looking at a Dman to pair with Makar on that Left side... Fire an offer sheet at Devon Toews in Long Island. Kid is a stud Defender and would pair so well with Cale. Legit top pairing type of guy and the Island is gonna have some cap problems keeping him and Barzal around I think.

A solid 5-6M OS at Toews would be hard for them to match.

Agree here. Though, I may be a little higher on Sergachev then some of you, judging by the responses haha

I think Byram has very high potential, but my concern is how long it might take him to become an impact player.

The Avs are ready to roll right now and my worry is waiting on a guy to become a Makar/Girard like player when they probably only have 3 more years of MacKinnon as a top-2-5 player in the game.

Just something to consider, though I probably wouldn’t move Byram, because I think it would be pretty tough to find the right defenceman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Can't trade Byram. I expect him to be Top 4 within a season, and he'll be on a cheap ELC contract.

Reactions: Ararana

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Agree here. Though, I may be a little higher on Sergachev then some of you, judging by the responses haha

I think Byram has very high potential, but my concern is how long it might take him to get become an impact player.

The Avs are ready to roll right now and my worry is waiting on a guy to become a Makar/Girard like player when they probably only have 3 more years of MacKinnon as a top-2-5 player in the game.

Just something to consider, though I probably wouldn’t move Byram, because I think it would be pretty tough to find the right defenceman.

This is something that's not brought up often but its very important.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm not against moving Byram... I'd just be aiming for someone better then Serg and ideally with more cost control. The problem is I just dont really see any guys that fit those requirements and I dont think Byram is the piece you trade in a losing deal right now for a decent but not great fit like Serg.

Hampus Lindholm could maybe be one, or Oskar Klefbom out of Edmonton though I doubt his availability.

That's pretty much it that I could think of though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Byram should be in the NHL next season, I get that he shouldn't be expected to hit the ice running but if he's at least capable in a third pairing role then he's already an upgrade over the third pairing we witnessed this season.

To me, any trade involving him has to be a MAJOR upgrade at a given position. Otherwise it ain't worth it. You're talking about one of the most highly-regarded defensive prospects in the league, even if that ends up being more hype than substance, you have to see what's there or maximize the return on a given trade.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not against moving Byram... I'd just be aiming for someone better then Serg and ideally with more cost control. The problem is I just dont really see any guys that fit those requirements and I dont think Byram is the piece you trade in a losing deal right now for a decent but not great fit like Serg.

Hampus Lindholm could maybe be one, or Oskar Klefbom out of Edmonton though I doubt his availability.

That's pretty much it that I could think of though.

Not that much of a Klefbom fan, but I like Lindholm a lot.

It sucks that he only has two years left on his contract, but he would be an amazing fit on this team.

Lindholm - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Zadorov - Timmins

I feel like it might actually make some sense for Anaheim to do the deal too, considering they are rebuilding.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Why trade anyone for Serg? Just offer sheet him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why trade anyone for Serg? Just offer sheet him.

Just to be clear I'm not proposing we trade for Serg, but offer sheets almost never work, and if they do you usually end up regretting it, because you have to offer enough for their team not to match.

Which usually results in the player being overpaid, and you having to give up a bunch of 1st round picks because you offered such a high salary.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I just meant Zadorov in the sense that his brain and consistency hold him back.

Zadorov is awesome when he plays hard and when he is moved up the lineup.

Every time he is asked to replace an injured EJ he excels. He doesn't play well getting 16 minutes a night as a 3rd pairing.

Offer sheet Sergachev
Resign Zadorov
Buy out EJ who just cannot stay healthy.

Sergachev - Makar
Girard - Zadorov
Graves - Cole

Maybe Byram is ready but I doubt it. He could use a year in the AHL. Timmins is done. Touch that guy and he gets a concussion.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Just to be clear I'm not proposing we trade for Serg, but offer sheets almost never work, and if they do you usually end up regretting it, because you have to offer enough for their team not to match.

Which usually results in the player being overpaid, and you having to give up a bunch of 1st round picks because you offered such a high salary.

We wouldn't have to offer much to get TB to not match. They are in some serious cap troubles.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We wouldn't have to offer much to get TB to not match. They are in some serious cap troubles.

I'm not sure that's true. They could still match, and then make some moves to afford him, or move him separately to another team that didn't send an OS.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Are we really, really still pretending Z is actually a good Dman? Especially when he has to play more minutes?

I dunno who I am more excited to see the Avs trade. Z or Tyson. But my god I cannot wait until they are both away from this organization.

Yeah maybe. But man when Z is on he is good. He is just so inconsistent.

Maybe we let him go. He will want a big contract.

TJ Brodie would be a nice RD to pair with Girard.

Offer sheet Sergachev
Sign TJ Brodie
Buy out EJ who just cannot stay healthy
Trade of Z, Graves or Cole

Sergachev - Makar
Girard - Brodie
Byram/Graves/Cole/Z

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah maybe. But man when Z is on he is good. He is just so inconsistent.

Maybe we let him go. He will want a big contract.

TJ Brodie would be a nice RD to pair with Girard.

Offer sheet Sergachev
Sign TJ Brodie
Buy out EJ who just cannot stay healthy
Trade of Z, Graves or Cole

Sergachev - Makar
Girard - Brodie
Byram/Graves/Cole/Z

He's not even that good when he's on.

He's like an ok #4 on his best days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad